Crazy whacked-out FE ideas? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2007, 01:20 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Paint the hood flat black and put the aluminum tubing under it connected to rubber hoses to the heating hoses. Hood gets hot and heats the water in the block. Plus you can run it as an additional radiator in the summer and snow melting system in the winter.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:21 PM   #12
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Hello -

Using the "Solar hot water heater" concept to heat up the coolant. Coolant pipework would have to be modified to have logical "in" and "out" point that would be optimum for recirculation. Electric pump needed would also be external. Only works at home on a sunny day because the black piping would be installed on the roof of the house.

CarloSW2
Ah but my craziness is, I was thinking this would be a mobile system that travels with the car taking advantage of the 150 degree interior temps that tend to build in a closed car. A solar panel powered electric pump it part of the system too. One of those coolant canisters would be a good addition too.

The drawback is it would only work on sunny days. But it is always sunny in LA is it not?

BeeUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:23 PM   #13
Registered Member

Post The List

• To expand on the 5th-wheel idea: use it to make your own hybrid. Could be engaged and disengaged against an existing tire or onto pavement: acts as an electric motor pusher or generator
  • More EOC items than run off of momentum: vacuum for brakes, alternator, etc (related to 5th wheel)
  • Grid powered CAT heater for emissions
  • Traffic-light remote (like the Fire Department) Calm down, JK
  • In-car command center to include weather conditions (wind speed, direction, ambient temp) + access to the Metro Area's traffic cameras (can be done with a wireles broadband internet connection) Newer luxo cars have built-in system much similar, but no real-time traffic views
  • access to wind-tunnel testing
  • custom IAT system to detect and distribute air (warm or ambient) for a final, target air-temp
  • Have access to a program that captures and analyzes all OBD-II sensor outputs, and helps make recommendations on tuning for FE.
  • And the craziest whacked out FE idea: a mechanic in your area that understands hypermiling!
Old 04-20-2007, 02:02 PM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
  • Traffic-light remote (like the Fire Department) Calm down, JK
Seriously.... A system for the same goal exists! Place digital signs between traffic lights that say how fast you need to go in order to get a green light... Obviously, they need to be linked up to the traffic timer and they will by dynamic, changing frequently but never going above the speed limits.

OR even better -- have the traffic lights broadcast when they will change... Receiver in the car linked with a GPS. The speed you need can be easily calculated (knowing distance from light, time till red). And display that to the driver. No more useless idling and acceleration

Quote:
To expand on the 5th-wheel idea: use it to make your own hybrid. Could be engaged and disengaged against an existing tire or onto pavement: acts as an electric motor pusher or generator
That's what I was thinking.... Make it rotate on a 90 degree angle while raising the rear end and now you've got an auto parallel parking system that's much faster than the Lexus design :P <-- some college engineers actually did that

Quote:
Automatically inflating and deflating tail cone and nosecone.
Holy Crap - brilliant!.... I'm thinking inflatable power kites now.... The tricky part (but easily resolved) -- having it roll back up.

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:04 PM   #15
Registered Member

Brock: I too really like the cruise engine idea. I'd like to see the two engines share a cooling system somehow, so that the first one running warms up the second and vice versa, so they don't suffer cold engine operation as much.

Quote:
This is brilliant. I've often though about just sticking a DC motor in the trunk with a chain and sprocket attached to one wheel some how and use that to power up to 20-25 mph and then use the ICE. The ICE could recharge also.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:29 PM   #16
Supporting Member

BeeUU -

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeUU View Post
Ah but my craziness is, I was thinking this would be a mobile system that travels with the car taking advantage of the 150 degree interior temps that tend to build in a closed car. A solar panel powered electric pump it part of the system too. One of those coolant canisters would be a good addition too.
I think you and JanGeo are almost speaking the same language.

Quote:
The drawback is it would only work on sunny days. But it is always sunny in LA is it not?
Funny you should say that ... but yes, almost always. This summer, something like that would probably work really well. The black hood that JanGeo is talking about might make even make my station-wagonette look "cool".

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:37 PM   #17
Supporting Member

Hello -

Some kind of pedal/crank system to enable adding more juice to the electrical system. Every little bit counts and it's good for your health, right? Something to do when your driving other than talk on the cellphone and eat sloppy-joes.

Of course, you'd probably end up with disproportionately sized arms and legs.

If that's against the law in your jurisdiction, then make it for the passenger(s) only.

Question : How many hamsters does it take to start a Scion?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:41 PM   #18
Registered Member

Here's a wacked out way to improve one's MPG...Divorce! Yes, divorce....if you're mate is say 120lbs, then leaving her will remove 120lbs from your car!
MorningGaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 03:08 PM   #19
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGaser View Post
Here's a wacked out way to improve one's MPG...Divorce! Yes, divorce....if you're mate is say 120lbs, then leaving her will remove 120lbs from your car!
Too expensive. But it will free up time to mod your car!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFG83
I think you and JanGeo are almost speaking the same language.
I think my post was a bit late, I guess I held it open too long, work interfering again. I like his idea better, less coolant in the passenger compartment is good. Plus you can use your newly modified electric water pump to move the fluid. Neat.

BeeUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:24 PM   #20
Registered Member

I know this is far from an outrageous FE idea, but perhaps it's one that is so simply it's overlooked?

Don't fill you gas tank over 1/2 a tank, or even lower than that if you have a large tank. You'll save the extra weight of all the gasoline.

Has this been suggested? It's just something that popped into my head earlier today. I can't do it unfortunately because I have to fill up to get readings, but some with a scan gauge would do well to use it.

atomicradish is offline   Reply With Quote