Creating a Switch to Shut Off Cylinders on the Fly - Page 7 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2005, 05:42 PM   #61
Registered Member

they wont take over for

they wont take over for another few years. B's have been around since 1991, theyve only been here since 2001

v6 tacoma. 5vzfe

dfoxengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 07:58 PM   #62
Driving on E

Re: What Make/Model Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
What kind of truck is it? Also, any advice on getting the Integra efficient? I used to have a '99 Civic Si with the B16A2 -- what a great setup. B-series engines are great -- it's too bad the K-series is taking over.

RH77
Don't forget the champion of all Honda motors... the d-series

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:43 PM   #63
Registered Member

I apologize -- the benchmark D-Series

The new Honda Jazz/Fit that's slated to come over from Europe and Japan has a new "L" Series engine, which they used the D-Series as the benchmark. Since the Civic is getting bigger and more sophisticated, they need a new "super-mini" that can be bought new and on-the-cheap. Frankly, IMHO, it looks like a dork-mobile at some angles, but I'll give it a chance. If the economy numbers are up to expectations, sign me up. I know for sure we'll be trading the TL for a '06 Civic early next year. You folks have to drive this car -- 30/40 city/highway auto and 30/39 for the manual (go-figure) with around 140hp. The prices haven't gone up much either. Long story short, the D-Series has to get props for its history and the evolution from it.

RH77
Old 10-26-2005, 07:18 AM   #64
Driving on E

Re: I apologize -- the benchmark D-Series

Quote:
The new Honda Jazz/Fit that's slated to come over from Europe and Japan has a new "L" Series engine, which they used the D-Series as the benchmark. Since the Civic is getting bigger and more sophisticated, they need a new "super-mini" that can be bought new and on-the-cheap. Frankly, IMHO, it looks like a dork-mobile at some angles, but I'll give it a chance. If the economy numbers are up to expectations, sign me up. I know for sure we'll be trading the TL for a '06 Civic early next year. You folks have to drive this car -- 30/40 city/highway auto and 30/39 for the manual (go-figure) with around 140hp. The prices haven't gone up much either. Long story short, the D-Series has to get props for its history and the evolution from it.

RH77
I personally love my d series engine. In the next few months I'll be swapping in my JDM D15b (vtec-e) engine for even better economy. Diemaster made a great point last night to me in IM. He said it's kind of funny that I'm swapping engines, transmissions, and converting to obd1 all of a motor with the same horsepower as my current engine.

he's right, that is kind of funny.

About the Jazz, you are 100% correct about it being a dork-mobile. I'm personally not too impressed with Honda's new line of cars. Their hybrid civic gets about the same gas mileage as my 1989 Civic Sedan. They keep building these bigger and bigger cars, and they keep looking worse and worse.

If the mini-cooper can sell (and it does) and if people are still buying Geo Metros and VW Bugs, I think Honda didn't have to jump on the "big car" bandwagon just to attract american buyers.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:13 PM   #65
*shrug*

Actually, the new civic

Actually, the new civic hybrid is rated at 50 and real world testing pegs it at 47, so it's not terrible.

No crx hf or z1 though.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 02:37 PM   #66
Registered Member

In-Laws and the Grand Marquis

My in-laws' Grand Marquis was about to die at 160K miles, so we talked them into getting a new Honda. They drove and liked the '05 Civic Hybrid, but decided on the LX, which emits minimal emissions. We did the calculations and it would take like 8-years for the hybrid to pay for itself. Honda should be commended for their low-emissions agnenda over the years, but the hybrid needs to get up to Prius levels before it gets my vote. It's a mild hybrid instead of integrated-drive, which needs re-designed to maximize its potential. My $0.02.

RH77
Old 10-26-2005, 03:16 PM   #67
*shrug*

The new hybrid is sposed to

The new hybrid is sposed to beat the prius, I think the real-world numbers for the prius are 43 mpg. Toyota has the best economy out there, but they still suck, worse than 20 years ago (read this in some article on the left).
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 07:28 PM   #68
Driving on E

Re: In-Laws and the Grand Marquis

Quote:
My in-laws' Grand Marquis was about to die at 160K miles, so we talked them into getting a new Honda. They drove and liked the '05 Civic Hybrid, but decided on the LX, which emits minimal emissions. We did the calculations and it would take like 8-years for the hybrid to pay for itself. Honda should be commended for their low-emissions agnenda over the years, but the hybrid needs to get up to Prius levels before it gets my vote. It's a mild hybrid instead of integrated-drive, which needs re-designed to maximize its potential. My $0.02.

RH77
Is the 8 years assuming they pay cash? If you finance the car, I'm sure it would be even longer.

I remember reading an article a few months ago that said it woudl take you around 300,000 miles to break even on the hybrid compared to the Civic LX.

I've never believed that Toyota has better mileage than Honda. I think where Toyota got it right was to be the first to make a four door hybrid. Honda's Insight was the first on the market, but is not totally practical for families (or just about anyone).

Honda has been on the front lines of the gas mileage game for decades now. if experience means anything, I'm staying with Honda.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8272373/site/newsweek/
Old 10-27-2005, 12:03 PM   #69
FE nut

Here's an interesting

Here's an interesting article that was on Hydrogen-Boost.com. It kind of talks about how hybrid technology would have a hard time paying fot itself.

Hydrogen Boost versus Hybrid Technology

After competing in the Tour de Sol’s Monte Carlo style Mileage competition against the “leading edge” of technologies, I figured it was time to do another analysis of mileage gains versus cost for the competition’s technology. Last year I analyzed the cost versus benefit of the Honda Civic vs the Honda Civic hybrid vehicles, since that was the only model on the roads last year that could be compared.

This year there are at least four models of hybrid vehicles that have comparable non-hybrid models. Using EPA’s mileage numbers and manufacturers’ suggested retail price as benchmarks, I did the following analysis for this year’s models. All basic models compared were the basic standard shift model with no additional options.

Honda Civic sedan 36 mpg city 40 mpg ave. 44 mpg highway $13,260

Honda Civic hybrid 48 mpg city 47.5 mpg ave. 47 mpg highway $19,900 7.5 mpg diff 18.8% diff $6640

Honda Accord sedan 26 mpg city 30 mpg ave. 34 mpg highway $16,265

Honda Accord hybrid 29 mpg city 33 mpg ave. 37 mpg highway $30,140 3.0 mpg diff 10% diff $13,875

Ford Escape SUV 24 mpg city 26.5 mpg ave. 29 mpg highway $19,425

Ford Escape hybrid 36 mpg city 33.5 mpg ave. 31 mpg highway $28,455 7.0 mpg diff 26.4% diff $9030

Chevy Silverado PU 16 mpg city 18.5 mph ave. 21 mpg highway $19,040

Chevy Silverado hybrid 18 mpg city 19.5 mpg ave. 21 mpg highway $30,345 1.0 mpg diff 5.4% diff $11,305

Average for all four vehicles 15.15% diff $10,212.50

Averaging all four vehicles we get a 15.15% increase in average mileage for an average price difference of $10,212.50. Now there is an idea of where the “leading edge” of technology is taking us.

If you are the typical environmentally friendly “Yuppy,” you are spending a whopping $10,000 to improve your gas mileage by 15%. Of course no average environmentally friendly “Yuppy” would consider “saving the environment” by keeping their old vehicle for a couple more years and installing the Hydrogen Boost system to achieve that 15% increase in mileage for a whole lot less money. Nor would that average environmentally friendly “Yuppy” ever consider changing his driving habits slightly to get a 20-40% increase in mileage without any extra hardware.

But lucky for us who have to breath the air spewed out by these “environmentally friendly” Yuppy’s vehicles, we can save most of the $10,000 cost of that so called “leading edge” technology, still drive our SUVs, and also save the cost of a lot of otherwise wasted fuel, by simply installing and implementing the Hydrogen Boost system. Or if we really care about our environment and our wallets, we could all drive a reasonable size vehicle like the Honda Civic, or Accord, or Ford Escape, or if we need a work truck a Chevy Silverado, and implement the Hydrogen Boost system, which will pay for itself long before our vehicle is paid off.

Hydrogen-Boost web pages and all information contained therein are hereby copyrighted.

Reproduction, alteration, or any other use of the information (in part or in entirety) contained on these pages

is strictly forbidden without express written permission of the author.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:39 PM   #70
Registered Member

Cylinder Deactivation -- Big Failure

Well folks, I filled up and got a lethargic 24.3 mpg with the cylinder deactivation "system" compared with the 26-28 mpg I usually get under the same conditions. Lesson learned: not for Inline-4s. Perhaps the Subaru's H-4's, any Inline-6's, V-6s, and V-8s would be better candidiates, or if fuel management was implemented.

Anyways, the system will be pulled this weekend. :-( At least I got to try it, and it ran! -Despite my mechanical aptitude. This weekend -- hotter thermostat and/or hot air intake.

To answer the previous question, to pay for the Hybrid was with financing, which didn't add up to a savings. CO emissions are less, though, so if you're in a smog-dense locale, the altruism factor might add-up to a couple hundred bucks.

I agree, the bottom line is to get off of the SUV bandwagon. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I see so many Yukons and Expeditions around here it's just rediculous.

Lastly, I'll have to look into this hydrogen-boost deal.

-RH77