CRX HF, Civic CX/VX owners, do you get locked out of 1st gear when moving??? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2010, 12:07 AM   #1
Registered Member

CRX HF, Civic CX/VX owners, do you get locked out of 1st gear when moving???

I want to swap in a CX/VX transmission into my car but I'm hesitant to after learning that on one particular hill I have to climb in order to get home, I have to be in second gear to ascend this hill at 25mph. I have learned(?) recently when trying to downshift in my '98 Civic with a M/T, I am locked out of 1st gear unless I come to a complete stop. So my question is, for those with the HF, CX/VX transmissions, have you ever had to ascend a hill in 1st gear because the other gears were "too tall"? And if you did, did you have to do anything special or was shifting into 1st gear not a big deal?

imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:31 AM   #2
Registered Member

My '94 VX demands very nearly a complete stop before allowing first to be engaged. Although I've never found a road sufficiently steep to demand first I drive solo and without cargo. I live in the coastal flatlands but take weekly trips to north central NJ and into the Bronx, NY. There are some formidable slopes but not what you might find in other parts. We have a VX member from the Mountain State of W.Va., perhaps he'll reply. Good luck.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:56 AM   #3
Registered Member

When I down shift for a stop I'm able to go into first at about 10 MPH. I also need the bottom shifter bushing replaced. Feels like every gear is like neutral. So maybe after I fix that I may not be able to as well either.

Dave

Must be some hill!
92 Prelude Si
Dave's Civic Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:03 AM   #4
Registered Member

1992-2000 Honda Civic D Series Gear Ratios
http://www.crxmpg.com/1992-2000-hond...s-gear-ratios/
Old 01-21-2010, 04:18 AM   #5
Registered Member

Try double clutching it.

Go to neutral, release the clutch, rev the engine to about 3k, depress clutch and engage 1st gear.

regards
Gary
Old 01-21-2010, 05:50 AM   #6

I find that adjusting the clutch a bit helps. Also, it's better after it warms up.

It helps putting it in 2nd gear then going to first, too.
Mayhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:08 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave's Civic Duty View Post
Must be some hill!
I agree... Must be some huge 55* grade hill or something. Your car should have plenty of torque in 2nd gear at 25mph to retain speed and even accelerate (even if slowly). There should be no need to downshift into first. I have some "steep" hills in my area (probably about 35-40*) and only have to downshift into 3rd at about 30-35 mph to keep a steady speed on the way up in my '95 Civic DX.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:30 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben98gs View Post
Your car should have plenty of torque in 2nd gear at 25mph to retain speed and even accelerate (even if slowly). There should be no need to downshift into first.
His car is able to climb it in 2nd, but he's considering a different transmission.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:51 AM   #9
Registered Member

I have the 84 HF trans in my 87 civic. I have to rev it up pretty good (3-3.5 k rpm) if I am climbing a steep hill and need to shift to second and continue the climb. The HF gears are really far apart. I think 25 mph will be fine for climbing a hill in 1st gear.

I have to double clutch if I need to downshift into 1st while still rolling.

My city mpg suffered when I switched to the HF trans and I feel sorry for my clutch when I have to start moving from a stop while on an incline... But the engine is much quieter on the interstate.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
His car is able to climb it in 2nd, but he's considering a different transmission.
Gotcha... Guess I did not realize there was THAT much difference in the gearing. Still kinda new to the Honda thing.