CRX Si really that great??? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2011, 07:57 AM   #1
Registered Member

CRX Si really that great???

I find lots of people are claiming on Ebay, AutoTrader, Cars.com, etc. that their CRX Si's are getting 42-50 mpg. This seems a bit ridiculous to me but maybe I'm wrong. I know the HF models are the "High Fuel Efficiency" models. And I know the Si models get pretty good. The EPA rates the other CRX models (as in the Si and DX) with ratings of 24 city/ 30 highway all the way up to 29 city and 37 highway for the year models between 1988-1991.

My question is are these cars really getting such good mileage and the EPA is wrong or are most of these sellers lying about their cars hoping to sell them. I get the feeling I know the answer but some of you around here know a lot more than I do. What mpg do the non-CRX HF models typically get? There are several on Ebay right now claiming 45-48 mpg and that just seems hard for me to believe. Any thoughts?

VX_Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:19 AM   #2
Registered Member

Re: CRX Si really that great???

realize that real world vs EPA is huge. also realize that a person with the right skills can get almost any car to have huge numbers. there was a guy here that had a cavalier on here like mine (though with a manual) that was achieving 60+ MPG.

all that being said, they are probably inflating the crap out of those numbers hoping for a buyer.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:57 AM   #3

With gas prices at the $4/gal level. everyone and his brother are trying to make a fast buck off compact (i.e. "fuel efficient") cars. Beef and your gut feeling are right. A few drivers can do 130%-170% of EPA, but the average Joe gets the EPA average and no more. Take the testimonial claims with a grain of salt, and remember the CRX is a potential death-trap in an accident.
FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
Registered Member

I understand that people can get 60+ mpg in almost any car when using all kinds of hypermiling techniques and when modifying their vehicles. I guess what I'm asking, is when using normal or even conservative driving techniques, wouldn't these high-mpg claims still be ridiculous? Based on your answers, I take it that yes they are just trying to sell a car. I drive my car extremely conservative and do a few hypermiling techniques and I can't get anything close to 60 or 70 percent better mpg. I drive a Toyota 4Runner and the best I've been able to get it over the EPA is about 30 percent, which aint much. I guess if I got 30 percent better in a CRX, I could raise 30 mpg to 39 mpg.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:14 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

30% is nothing to sneeze at.

Anyway, I agree that the claims of people trying to sell those cars are exaggerations and lies.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:36 PM   #6

My experience is I can beat EPA combined estimates for most cars by 35-40% just by setting cruise control to 55-60 mph, and cruising all day at that speed. Gains above that require a manual transmission and a lot of work with advanced techniques. I tried an all-out hypermiling competitive drive, and pulled 91.5 mpg with my 28 mpg-rated Scion xB for 9.8 miles on a flat multiple round-trip route. Could I do it again? Yes. Is it practical? No.
FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:47 PM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks for everybody's input. It sounds like the sellers are full of it. Seems like there are a lot of scammers in the fuel-efficient car market.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:50 PM   #8
Registered Member

its doable under the right circumstances. I drove a friends 2000 celica gts, rated at 28 mpg highway. if i went 60 mph, it does 32 mpg, but if i cruised at 40 mph at 6th gear, i can get it at 55 mpg all day long. this is on the scangauge II.

also, I would not want to be in a CRX even if its 60 mpg. its really dangerous, no airbags, super light, etc. its alright if cars around are small cars, but there is too many suv's on the road. if its a small car i would at least get something with side airbags
civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #9
Registered Member

I've been getting 43 mpg in my 1990 Civic Si hatchback. With the d16y8 exhaust manifold and b-pipe it really likes to run 2500rpm, in 5th that's 55 mph with the 4.25 final drive in my transmission. I changed my drive home so I can drive slower.
spazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:52 AM   #10
Registered Member

My experience is that si's get 30-35 mpg mixed driving. First and second generation cars get about the same. Mostly it's due to the gear ratios (short). With a cheap transmission swap the mileage could pretty easily get into the high 30's low 40's mixed.

IMO the best safety feature of a car is it's ability to brake and corner. I'd rather be able to avoid the accident in the first place. The crx's are some of the best handling economy cars ever built. So, to answer your question, crx's are really that great!

hondaguy72 is offline   Reply With Quote