D15Z1 CRX Hf - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2007, 01:46 PM   #31
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
No kidding. Bunger: you need to describe your typical commute/driving style/speed/techniques.
I don't really drive too much now that I'm working for myself, and I do a lot less driving that involves going up 2500 feet... so I'm sure that helps a lot also. And lately, the driving I've done has been at night, which has allowed me to go slower without causing a serious backup of cars behind me (probably wanting to kill me). I don't have anything to show me instant feedback of how I drive, but my volvo has a fuel computer, so I know pretty much what works and what doesn't. I'm pretty mindful of my throttle position, I don't make fast starts ever, and I will slow down way before a red light to hopefully catch the next green. Besides that... nothing special really. I think if I drove more carefully I could eek out a lot more.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:52 PM   #32
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Palmer View Post
Bunger: Very Impressive! I know you are running a Z1 in and HF chassis. Are you running an HF gearbox? What ecu version are you using.
I am running a CA spec HF trans, using Honda MTF and only 5w-30 in the motor. (I should try some lighter oil) I'm using the stock 92 civic VX ecu, everything is hooked up correctly now and the O2 sensor is pretty fresh. I made the wiring harness myself, and routed it so that I removed probably 50 feet of wire from it (maybe more).

The car is VERY stripped. Like I've gone as far as cutting out brackets that aren't used anymore. If it rains, I hope that the rain-x does the job, cause there is NO wiper system... no wiper motor, no control stock on the steering column, no wiring, no fuse in the fuse box.

I should really put the car back on the scales again, I may well be under 1500lbs now.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:21 PM   #33
Registered Member

i'd put the wipers back on.

awesome gas mileage! are you turning your engine off any while driving?
white90crxhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:20 PM   #34
Registered Member

Yea, I've had to pull over a few times because of rain... and with no heater in the car I've had to kinda train myself to breath a little as possible (no joke) to help prevent the windows from fogging up. All that considered, I think I'll leave it as is and just drive it during the summer. I haven't really been going up or down many hills lately, so no real opportunity to turn the engine off.

I've always been very happy with the mileage, always surprises me just how far it goes on a few gallons of fuel. I'd love to see if I could make it 1000 miles on a tank of gas (10.2 gallon tank). That's pretty much my goal. =)
Old 03-02-2007, 04:07 AM   #35
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Brian D.
I was actually curious about the same. I'm guessing you went with the stock VX transmission? I thought the HF tranny was supposed to be a PITA to mount to the VX motor. (Heck, they're both D15's anyway...right?) Perhaps I'm just thinking of the hydraulic clutch line being an area of concern. But I can see as plain as day that you stuck with the cable clutch line, as the HF uses. Finally, if it is the stock HF tranny that you used, can you tell me which gear setup you have (low altitude or high)? In other words, what's your final drive ratio on this setup? Thx. OH, please keep us up to date on the MPG's.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:50 AM   #36
*shrug*

He has an HF tranny, I'm going to assume low altitude, the VX tranny won't mount up in a CRX without custom mounts, at the moment.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:25 PM   #37
Registered Member

The Hf trans bolts right to the VX motor as easily as the VX trans. I do have to run the 88 flywheel and clutch, as the spine count on the 88 trans is different. It's the HF trans with the shorter final drive (3.25 I think). I wanted to "upgrade" to the taller final drive, but I haven't been able to find one yet.

There is someone who is now producing carbon fiber roofs for Hondas (caps and total replacement) which are suppose to reduce some weight. They are a little pricey though ($600+) and I think my next step to some more weight reduction is going to be lexan rear windows.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:52 AM   #38
Supporting Member

I know it's an old thread but I was wondering how this project ended up? Did you get it all working well? What kind of gas mileage are you getting now?
It would be great if, now that you (and I am supposing here you did complete the project) completed it could share your thoughts about it, give out some tips. What were the major problems you had to tackle? What would you do differently now (if anything).
If you have the time it would be superb if you could make a DIY with loads of pictures!
McPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:24 AM   #39
Registered Member

I was wondering about how to check codes in my HF-Z1, I have the Rywire conversion w/ Z1 pigtail, I ground the indicated wires and I get a steady check engine light on the dash, but no flickering. Thanks, Mak

MakDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:29 AM   #40
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakDiesel View Post
I was wondering about how to check codes in my HF-Z1, I have the Rywire conversion w/ Z1 pigtail, I ground the indicated wires and I get a steady check engine light on the dash, but no flickering. Thanks, Mak
I think that means you don't have a code... I would ground the one wire... can't remember which one, and then the CEL would blink the code.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote