d15z1 swap into a Civic CX - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2007, 08:32 PM   #1
Registered Member

d15z1 swap into a Civic CX

I passed on the '94 VX. There was too many little issues that were bugging me and the guy wasn't going to budge from his $3,500 price with the bad O2 sensor. Oh well what can you do. I am going to go look at a CX civic and I was wondering how hard it is to swap in a d15z1 engine? The trannys are the same correct? The car weighs the same correct? So what parts would I need to make a CX into a VX? The CX is $1,300 o.b.o. but need a little more work. Something I don't mind doing. I tried to do a search on this but didn't find the exact info that I was looking for.

Thanks,

Nathan

72 Luxury Lemans
12mpg (Fun Car)

1999 Chevy Prizm
36mpg

1994 Buick Century
28mpg
72lml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to pyramid_head
The weights are just about the same (2094 lbs for a vx with a/c, and 2055 lbs for the cx with no power steering and no a/c... or maybe it's the other way around). Well, you're going to need a p07 ecu (49 state with lean burn command). You might also need an si/vx engine wiring harness to covert to mpfi... i think. I don't know if the cx is mpfi or dpfi. Anyone care to correct me?

Old 11-24-2007, 10:03 AM   #3
Registered Member

Oh... wait! Lookie what i found Nathan...

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/archi...p/t-83005.html
Old 11-24-2007, 12:36 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to ajohnmeyer
"This swap can be done in less than an hour."

A bit of a stretch I'd say...

but yeah, it's totally doable. Just need the VX motor, ECU and O2 sensor, and an extra wire to run to the VTEC solenoid.

Team OPEC Busters!
ajohnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:40 PM   #5
Registered Member

Hmmm. This is getting much more tempting. Finding and engine doesn't seem to be too bad but what about finding the ECU? It looks like there is a few listed on eBay. Anybody had any luck with the engines off of eBay? The engines that are listed on look they are complete but I'm not sure if they come with everything. Intake, distributor, etc... If the car turns out to be ok (the owner is gone until tomorrow) I could drive it and collect parts until I am ready to swap everything.

It's strange diving into the world of small imports. I am used to working on classic muscle cars and dealing with carbs. I may need a little help with some of the more technical questions on doing this swap.

Thanks,

Nathan

72 Luxury Lemans
12mpg (Fun Car)

1999 Chevy Prizm
36mpg

1994 Buick Century
28mpg
72lml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:45 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
I've got an ECU for sale for a VX swap. I also know where to get the necessary OEM style plugs so that the engine swap will look and function just the same as a stock VX.

It's totally up to you if you want to get the CX and swap, I can help you out with it since I'm close enough to you.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:59 PM   #7
Registered Member

You'll be fine Nathan. You can also try www.nippon-motors.com to find a decent D15z1 engine there for $375 plus shipping. They'll also deliver it to your door.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:58 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid_head View Post
They'll also deliver it to your door.
Watch out with shipping, though! You're not getting a CD shipped to you from amazon.com here. This is not, I repeat NOT, going to be cheap. I remember when I got my B18C5, they wanted something like $150 to ship it from Southern California to Northern California - just a few hundred miles. I would HATE to see what it would cost to ship cross country. I ended up taking the passenger seat out of my CRX, driving down there, and picking it up myself instead. The cost of gas, food, and even a motel was CONSIDERABLY less than $150. And it was a kind of mini-vacation. Because the shipping cost on a large and heavy item is just SO outlandish (and can possibly exceed the cost of a cheap motor like a D15Z1), I like to deal locally whenever possible. And if the motor is not EXTREMELY far, I will drive there myself. As an added benefit, you actually get to see the motor before putting down cash. This way, you are less likely to get a piece of crap.
StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:36 PM   #9
Registered Member

I forgot to add my second part; they tried to jip me and say that the motor was worth $450 plus tax. I caught them in their little scheme, they gave me a hard time, so i blew them off and vowed never to go there ever again.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:40 PM   #10
Registered Member

D15Z1 Swap

Just get a full swap package. Engine. trans, wiring harness, ecu and axels.

Should be about $800. Now all you need is the shell and a couple harness adapters for the ECU. Unless your shell had a Vtech engine. Some of the SI's did. Just gut it to lighten it up. Or find a blown VX. Many of the tuners use that body for racing. So you might have better luck finding one on hondaswap.com or the civic forums. I got mine for $300 with 17" custom wheels.

I'm doing a D15B Vtech swap right now into a 95 VX. I had to spend most of the time fixing the frame since it was wrecked. The D15B can also do lean burn but has more power. Should still get 45mpg average. Might be possible to use an Apexi fuel management to trim it out some more.