Day time running Lights - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-18-2007, 04:25 PM   #11
Registered Member

hehe i disabled them by yanking out the fuse on my 95 s-10 everything still works too. the 98+ s-10 ya gotta bend pin 86 on the drl relay.

i wired up my headlights directly to the battery (with relays) and now thier very noticeably brighter! im gonna do it to my next car its that good.

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:30 PM   #12
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlarry View Post
All I have to do now is figure out what I fried and how much it will cost to fix.
At least you didn't toast the SG! I unplug mine anytime I'm tinkering around the electricals on the car.

davidjh72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:42 PM   #13
Supporting Member

diamondlarry -

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlarry View Post
All I have to do now is figure out what I fried and how much it will cost to fix.
I just e-bayed these :

98-99 Saturn S Series Cluster Speedometer Gauges LKQ
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-99...em190103661514

98-99 SATURN S SERIES INSTRUMENT CLUSTER
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-99...em290106680905

Have you done a forensic analysis? Are the gauges really fried or are there blown fuses that can be restored?

Sounds like it's pick-a-part time.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:51 PM   #14
Registered Member

I added a switch to turn mine off, but I still drive lights-on during the day in certain traffic/road scenarios.

I used to teach defensive driving - lights on for safety is a no brainer. Though there are clearly some situations where they're wasting power and not contributing to safety (ie divided, limited access highways).
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:02 PM   #15
FE nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
diamondlarry -

I just e-bayed these :

98-99 Saturn S Series Cluster Speedometer Gauges LKQ
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-99...em190103661514

98-99 SATURN S SERIES INSTRUMENT CLUSTER
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-99...em290106680905

Have you done a forensic analysis? Are the gauges really fried or are there blown fuses that can be restored?
Sounds like it's pick-a-part time.

CarloSW2
Thanks for the links. I'll check them out tomorrow when I get home. As for the guages, I'm not sure. The speedo and tach occasionally go up and stop at random places. Yesterday, the tach went past 8K and stayed there for awhile then dropped back.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:04 PM   #16

I opted to keep them in my Metro. Reason: EXCELLENT backup headlights. I live in the country (bad roads) and like many Metros my fuse box is a bit on the fried side due to the chintziness of it. Until I rewire it, I'll leave them - the headlights regularly just "go out" when I'm driving along my bumpy dirt roads, all I do is switch over to DRL's and I'm fine.

I hated my Saturns DRL's, they're so bright they blind people. If you drive a Saturn S series and tell me you've never been brighted because of your DRL, I'll either say you don't drive it much or you're a liar.
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:14 PM   #17
Supporting Member

Wazabi -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazabi Owner View Post
I opted to keep them in my Metro. Reason: EXCELLENT backup headlights. I live in the country (bad roads) and like many Metros my fuse box is a bit on the fried side due to the chintziness of it. Until I rewire it, I'll leave them - the headlights regularly just "go out" when I'm driving along my bumpy dirt roads, all I do is switch over to DRL's and I'm fine.

I hated my Saturns DRL's, they're so bright they blind people. If you drive a Saturn S series and tell me you've never been brighted because of your DRL, I'll either say you don't drive it much or you're a liar.
Yeah, I never knew the Saturn DRL's were actually the hi-beams. Somebody designed a two-for-one and it didn't work out. Why not just leave the low-beams on instead?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:16 PM   #18
Registered Member

You sure the Saturn DRLs aren't high beams run through a resistor to cut their light output?
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:23 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
If daytime running lights were on all the vehicles in the U.S., we would burn an extra 406 million gallons of gas each year. That's only a couple gallons for each vehicle, but in total it is more than all of the vehicles in the country burn in a day. At $1.50 a gallon, that's $600 million per year. Looking at it another way, an extra 8 billion pounds of Carbon Dioxide would be added to the atmosphere by this law.
Wowser, that's a lot of fuel!

Quote:
That's only a couple gallons for each vehicle [per year?]
So it's a lot of gas burned cumulatively, but not very much per each individual vehicle (aka, not really worth disabling DRLs for increased FE).
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:26 PM   #20

I've heard they were run through a resister, but they are just so darn bright I find it hard to believe. On my old SW2 I just pulled the relay and never got around to running the jumper wire - sacrificed the one high beam.

BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote