Day time running Lights - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2007, 05:33 PM   #21
Registered Member

On the CDN smart car, the DRL are low beams plus tail lights and side markers.

They are disabled by (engine off) pulling back on the high beam switch as though flashing high beams and then pressing the "unlock" button on the remote. Car beeps, and it's off. This is a feature that is undocumented in Canada, but documented in Europe, where DRL are optional. Simple!

I use the smart's foglights as DRL, so the only difference is that I am conserving the smart's notoriously fragile H-7 low beam bulbs.

Total wattage is about 140 with everything on, which is about 0.2 HP.

1966 Peugeot 404 Coupe Injection
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:09 PM   #22
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You sure the Saturn DRLs aren't high beams run through a resistor to cut their light output?
Saturn DRLs are the hi-beams, at a lower power. With my DRLs enabled, in my carport at night, they aren't as bright as when I turn on the full hi-beams. So, the DRLs in this model car are hi-beams shining into oncoming traffic, at a lower intensity than full on hi-beams.

On a scale of brightness I'd rate the Saturn lights like this, dimmest to brightest... amber "parking lights", DRLs, low-beams, hi-beams. DRLs aren't as bright as the low-beams, as I've witnessed at night with my own car; DRLs alone at night are no match for the low-beams and certainly not the hi-beams full-on.

I've heard the argument against DRLs that they take away the advantage motorcyles have in their always-on headlight. At a quick glance, a car with one light out, looks like a motorcycle. Do a double-take to make sure it's a car at a reasonable speed, and not a "ninja" bike about to go screaming by over 100 MPH...

davidjh72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:10 AM   #23
Registered Member

I was reading this thread and I am suprised no one mentioned LED DRL's. In either white or amber.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:40 PM   #24
Registered Member

On Saturns, the DRLs may technically be dimmer than the low beams, but to oncoming drivers, the DRLs are much more obnoxious.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:06 PM   #25
Supporting Member

caprice -

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprice View Post
I was reading this thread and I am suprised no one mentioned LED DRL's. In either white or amber.
Wouldn't work for a Saturn because of the hi-beam double-duty. How about this? In the foglight location of my Saturn, how about your LEDs located there instead? It would have to be a custom circuit that turns off when the regular headlights turn on.

The Fog-DRLs would be cheap on the juice and visible by day but low to the ground, so maybe less offensive.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:18 PM   #26
Registered Member

Headlights all the time

I thought I'd chime in here late...

Most GM DRLs are high-beams at a lower output, for a longer distance of visibility. They went to illuminating the bright amber turn sigs on some models, which wreaks havoc on signalling, IMO.

Weather or not EOC-ing, I drive with my headlights. There are inattentive drivers out there that may take a second look before pulling-out and ruining a good coast or worse.

After I post this, I'm sure the battery will be dead in the morning

As far as being mandatory, I agree with safety features being standard. ABS, ESP, Airbags, etc. If it proves to save lives or prevent injury, why not?

-R
Old 04-19-2007, 08:41 PM   #27
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
ABS- I've read it's not really proven to be effective?

Also I believe that too many "safety" systems lead to driver complacency-...
The system itself works... and very well... The driver that uses it screws it up. So statistically, it would appear as if it doesn't work. Mechanically, it's very effective IF the driver doesn't change his/her braking habits. ABS should only kick on in an emergency...

The reason, just as you said... complacency. I used to be in the "I don't want ABS - I know how to drive, I can brake accordingly" crowd. The problem is, the time you really need it is when the problem wasn't caused by you... You know, trying to avoid some clown's accident. I for one will attest to it's capabilities - I'm fairly certain that it (ABS + steering) saved my butt from a rather nasty accident. The roads were wet from bad rain too

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:42 AM   #28
Registered Member

Stomp and Steer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
The system itself works... and very well... The driver that uses it screws it up. So statistically, it would appear as if it doesn't work. Mechanically, it's very effective IF the driver doesn't change his/her braking habits. ABS should only kick on in an emergency...

The reason, just as you said... complacency. I used to be in the "I don't want ABS - I know how to drive, I can brake accordingly" crowd. The problem is, the time you really need it is when the problem wasn't caused by you... You know, trying to avoid some clown's accident. I for one will attest to it's capabilities - I'm fairly certain that it (ABS + steering) saved my butt from a rather nasty accident. The roads were wet from bad rain too
I agree with the above. Lately I've driven a variety of rental vehicles with or without ABS, in situations ranging from snow/ice to dry pavement.

In emergency situations (hard braking with steering input) the ABS absolutely proves itself on doing what the driver can't -- modulate each brake to maintain control (advanced EBD systems can send additional pressure to wheels that are gripping, to maximize stopping abilitiy. It stinks to get in a car and not realize that it doesn't have ABS -- that is, until one wheel's locked up and you're scrambling to maintain control in tight situations.

ABS may not prove to be better in all situations, bust I would say most. People just need to learn how to use them. There's a "Stomp-n-Steer" campaign to educate drivers not to pump ABS brakes.

Having some sort of identifier would be nice -- like on the pedal of old 70's and 80's cars that had disc-brakes -- it was printed within the rubber on the brake pedal. Today you have to pop the hood and look for the "spider" (or consult the manual). I guess while I have the hood up to verify the engine displacement for the Rental Analysis, I need to check for ABS too. Yep, how many people rent a car and pop the hood? Yeah, they look at you funny...

I generally throw this out there: "Would you feel more comfortable sending a family member or loved-one out there with or without it"? -- which includes other drivers' equipment for accident prevention/avoidance.

RH77
Old 04-20-2007, 11:53 AM   #29
Registered Member

ABS is awesome, full stop.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:49 PM   #30
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
Yep, how many people rent a car and pop the hood? Yeah, they look at you funny...
"Yeah, sir.... we're going to REQUIRE that you take that extra insurance now"

Quote:
ABS may not prove to be better in all situations, bust I would say most.
I've heard that it's not so great in snow/ice conditions.... I would think it would be even better to make sure the wheels with the most traction get braking power.... iono, can you explain? I've lived in S. Florida and have never needed to drive in snow/ice

But in my owner's manual -- it does say ABS will make your stopping distance longer on gravel. Because a gravel "dam" never forms in front of your wheels.

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote