Dealer reset both trip odometers - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2016, 12:36 PM   #11
Registered Member

3 years ago with my pre - Fuelly Rover 75, one of the many times I was in the garage, the trip was wiped. I just worked out my notebook average and entered that figure. I bet i was pretty annoyed at the time!

Old 01-06-2017, 09:31 PM   #12
Registered Member

Why wouldn't you just use the receipt from the gas pump? Isn't that the whole point of fuelly?

my dad used to use a chequebook to keep track of mileage, another thing that is obsolete with fuelly.

cargonow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:19 AM   #13
Registered Member

If you use the Gasbuddy website, and log all of your fill ups, you will be able to see the last mileage you had for your last fill up. Then when you fill up after a service dept goof, you will know how many miles you have traveled.
dtown40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:21 AM   #14
Registered Member

Another reason to enter your total odometer reading into Fuelly, and let Fuelly calculate the trip distance, rather than having to keep a trip odometer running and hoping {you don't forget to reset | nobody else resets it | no fault ever occurs, like a battery change or disconnect during service, etc.}

2015 Audi Q5 "Progressiv" + S-Line + Scuba Blue, 3.0L V6 TDI
(Highest fuel economy for all Audi Q5s on Fuelly!)

SteveMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:44 AM   #15
Registered Member

A friend on a Mercedes forum (last car) had kept his trip "A" results from the day he first bought the car. So he could at anytime show his average speed, L/100Km, and time driven right on the instrument cluster. He used it to take pictures to prove his fuel economy to a hyper-miler that bragged about his results but refused to show his real results LOL.

Sadly like Ben his records got wiped out when his battery was changed out and the mech. forgot to attach the temporary battery back up. It was especially bad for him because the onboard computer was very accurate and he never had to compute fuel economy.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:46 AM   #16
Registered Member

This sounds eerily similar to folks who don't backup their computer... or their smart phone... and suddenly their "world" disappears. Backup? What backup?

2015 Audi Q5 "Progressiv" + S-Line + Scuba Blue, 3.0L V6 TDI
(Highest fuel economy for all Audi Q5s on Fuelly!)

SteveMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:52 AM   #17
LDB
Registered Member

I use the trip odometer because it records to the xxx.x mile while the odometer is only full miles. I just got a new CR-V and might switch to odometer and not worry about the up to 0.9 mile discrepancy in actual distance. I plan to keep the trip A going this time as well and only reset B when I fill up.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:04 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMak View Post
This sounds eerily similar to folks who don't backup their computer... or their smart phone... and suddenly their "world" disappears. Backup? What backup?

No he just liked the fact that he could always prove his fuel economy statements. Sadly you can't back up the trip computers records.

I used to reset my trip "A" (actually called from last service") every January the first.
My Trip "B" (called since last reset) at the start of a long road trip or after 2 or 3 fill ups in town.
Car also logged all information each day, handy on a long road trip. New car does not have a daily function but does log the last 3 trips even if you just drive 1 block.

Strange that most new cars do not show the decimal point in the odometer only in trips.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:59 AM   #19
Registered Member

I doubt the Mercedes driver had his computer keep track that long. From experience, most trip records self reset after a certain time interval, usually about 100 hours or so.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:32 AM   #20
Registered Member

Well since we had the same model I know it would keep records up 99,999 Kms before going back to zero. I believe they all work on distance at least every car I have owned.