Decided to grab the bull by the horns, gettin' a scooter - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2008, 08:59 PM   #31
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Colin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
You should check out local dealers. You might be surprised how cheap you can get a used scooter for.
True! During my search for a Ruckus (which I found! ) I encountered several lightly-used and new non-current Honda Metropolitans in the $1100-1200 range. These were available at dealerships, financing and warrantee available. There's really no reason to go with a Twist-N-Go, Tank, or other Chinese scooter when you can have a Honda for the same price. That is, unless you want that big GY6 engine (and I do...)

Colin

Old 06-14-2008, 08:01 PM   #32
Registered Member

vino

Looked at new yamaha vino's today...didn't realise that the bike shops were modified car dealerships. Started at 2100.00 with prep and all the crap stuff...almost three grand....said keep it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
True! During my search for a Ruckus (which I found! ) I encountered several lightly-used and new non-current Honda Metropolitans in the $1100-1200 range. These were available at dealerships, financing and warrantee available. There's really no reason to go with a Twist-N-Go, Tank, or other Chinese scooter when you can have a Honda for the same price. That is, unless you want that big GY6 engine (and I do...)

Colin

cugir321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:09 PM   #33
Registered Member

Well I finally got my 2-stroke kit together on my junk/recycled parts bike yesterday and it is a hoot to ride. Yes, it's clattery and loud, and a bit smelly to ride, but it's allot quicker than pedalling! That and the total cost for it including the bike was less than $250.

Frankly, I chose the motored bike option because my commute is relatively short at 4 miles. If the engine drops all of it's parts out the bottom, I can still pedal the rest of the way. If my commute were more than 10 miles or so, the Ruckus would definately be my top pick. It doesn't have a bunch of fancy plastic crap or sparkles. It just does what it's supposed to do.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:31 PM   #34
Registered Member

who'd you buy the kit from?

Is it one that rides on the tire or does it have a chain or belt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
Well I finally got my 2-stroke kit together on my junk/recycled parts bike yesterday and it is a hoot to ride. Yes, it's clattery and loud, and a bit smelly to ride, but it's allot quicker than pedalling! That and the total cost for it including the bike was less than $250.

Frankly, I chose the motored bike option because my commute is relatively short at 4 miles. If the engine drops all of it's parts out the bottom, I can still pedal the rest of the way. If my commute were more than 10 miles or so, the Ruckus would definately be my top pick. It doesn't have a bunch of fancy plastic crap or sparkles. It just does what it's supposed to do.
cugir321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:28 PM   #35
Registered Member

The kit I got is frame mounted and chain driven with a dry plate (automotive style) clutch. There's no pull starter and the only drag on the driveline with the clutch disengaged is from the chain and two extra cogs, which isn't enough to wear a person out, though it might slow them down about 1 mph. You can see it at That'sDax.com.

Similar kits have reportedly gone over 40 mph with minor modifications. Today on the way to work, I kept it around 15-20 most of the way for break-in. It feels like it will pull me to just over 30 mph or so on the flats which is really plenty for me - and twice the legal speed limit for a 'motor assisted bicycle' in the state of Oregon. :P

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote