Depressing MPG - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2007, 06:33 PM   #1
Registered Member

Depressing MPG

Well I drove very slowly this last tank of fuel. And I have an Aeroforce intercepter gauge. It reads a lot of stuff including current MPG while driving. I left it on the MPG this whole tank and when cruising made sure it stayed above 30mpg. Filled up my tank today and I got what you see by the Ion redline 27.XX mpg

Oh well it's still decent for 242HP to the wheels (270ish at the crank)
2.0L Supercharged 4 cylinder.

Atleast my civic is sitting @ over 30mpg safely.

korax123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:30 PM   #2
Registered Member

Don't be discouraged by one tank, you have to average out several tanks to get an accurate measure of mpg. An individual fillup can be off by a substantial amount, lots of variables (slope,temperature,vent finikyness...)

Old 02-19-2007, 07:59 PM   #3
Supporting Member

korax123 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by korax123 View Post
Well I drove very slowly this last tank of fuel. And I have an Aeroforce intercepter gauge. It reads a lot of stuff including current MPG while driving. I left it on the MPG this whole tank and when cruising made sure it stayed above 30mpg. Filled up my tank today and I got what you see by the Ion redline 27.XX mpg

Oh well it's still decent for 242HP to the wheels (270ish at the crank)
2.0L Supercharged 4 cylinder.

Atleast my civic is sitting @ over 30mpg safely.
skewbe's right, MPG is a long run proposition. A low start means you can only go up, right ?

I wish I'd known about the Aeroforce gauge earlier. It doesn't have the 4-way display, but it does have other inputs like 02 readings (which helps for going lean), and it looks righteous!

Have you joined or trolled around the www.saturnfans.com website? They have an Ion Red Line forum. I doubt it's devoted to MPG , but every detail helps.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:45 PM   #4
Registered Member

You have to start some ware. I don't know if you noticed, but many of the gaslogs show an upward trend. As people learn more about their cars, learn better driving techniques and do modifications they tend to get better MPG.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:45 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
korax123 -

skewbe's right, MPG is a long run proposition. A low start means you can only go up, right ?

I wish I'd known about the Aeroforce gauge earlier. It doesn't have the 4-way display, but it does have other inputs like 02 readings (which helps for going lean), and it looks righteous!

Have you joined or trolled around the www.saturnfans.com website? They have an Ion Red Line forum. I doubt it's devoted to MPG , but every detail helps.

CarloSW2

I am a member there but don't post ever I used to when I had a QC3. But I am a very active member on www.redlineforums.com

Blocking off my front vents would problably help a lot but I need airflow in the engine bay with the supercharger there so it's really not an option. And I can't really do any coasting because where I live there are no hills. I did find a different side street to take to work though that will eliminate 2 stop signs on the way to work.

I am going to drive normal this tank and see what I get. And if i get crazy enough I can put a larger pulley on my S/C and tune the car for better FE.

One question though I constantly get a running rich code and my O2 works cause the # bounce up and down on my gauge. It runs rich when cruising what other sensors can I look at?

And would gapping the sparplug smaller help???

Old 02-20-2007, 05:06 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
One question though I constantly get a running rich code and my O2 works cause the # bounce up and down on my gauge. It runs rich when cruising what other sensors can I look at?
What performance mods have you done to the car?

edit: I just looked at the garage and saw the mods. Are the bigger injectors tuned good? Do you have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator? If fuel psi is too high it could make you too rich.
(I like sc cars too, mine is an 89 xr7 5spd)

jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:52 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwxr7 View Post
What performance mods have you done to the car?

edit: I just looked at the garage and saw the mods. Are the bigger injectors tuned good? Do you have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator? If fuel psi is too high it could make you too rich.
(I like sc cars too, mine is an 89 xr7 5spd)

Well the staotich or whatever AFR is set to 14.7 (when cruising) and my buddy with the same mods got dyno tuned to 11.8:1 AFR @ WOT. We flashed the tune on my car also. It pulls to 7200rpm with 0 knock. So the car runs good WOT just cruising it runs rich for some reason.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:05 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by korax123 View Post
And I can't really do any coasting because where I live there are no hills.
You don't need hills to coast. Every time you know in advance that you have to stop (ie. most of the time) is a coasting opportunity. The less you touch that brake pedal, the better.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:23 PM   #9
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
how big is the collector for the header and cat? 2.5 to 3 in is a big deal...

what kinda figures does it give you at the track?

what kinda of driving do you usually do?

and those are aftercooled right?
Old 02-20-2007, 05:17 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You don't need hills to coast. Every time you know in advance that you have to stop (ie. most of the time) is a coasting opportunity. The less you touch that brake pedal, the better.
I'll second this. where i live and drive are no hills at all! i usualy stay at or below the speed limit and let someone else sit there at the red light while i coast up and if timed right it'll change and i don't have to even touch the brake pedal.

LxMike is offline   Reply With Quote