did dodge/chrysler new owners just got screwed? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-01-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
Registered Member

did dodge/chrysler new owners just got screwed?

remember the "lets refuel America" deal where gas is guaranteed for 2.99 a gallon for x number of years, its either get that option or a few thousand cash back when you buy the car

but on the recent gas prices, some states have it under 3 a gallon, and around the philly area, its about 3.30's at the lowest, but some people have a BP gas card that gets 10% back (first 60 days or 90, i forgot) so its pretty much the same price when its all said and done. I have a BP card so its 5% cash back (after trial period)

you guys think gas hit a bubble? i feel bad for a couple of people that i knew, when gas hit over 4 a gallon they went out and bought a 4 cylinder dodge, to save money on gas, only to make more payments monthly (their old car was paid off)

civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:47 PM   #2
Registered Member

I don't know, but to trade a paid off vehicle for another that gets better gas mileage, (if that was the only reason) but now you will have payments is not thinking properly.

I have an 05 and a 99 and both are paid off and I will be keeping both for a very long time. I will keep the old one until I have to drag it kicking and screaming to the junk yard.

Gas prices around here are no where near $2.99 a gallon though. The cheapest name brand is $3.55 today.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:56 PM   #3

Buying a NEW Dodge/Chrysler = automatic screwed no matter what the incentives. Everybody knows that.
dieselbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:13 PM   #4
Site Team / Moderator

I don't think they got screwed. The buyers probably screwed themselves. Anyone who knows anything about economics would know that kind of price cannot be sustained for a long period of time. OPEC knows what side their bread is buttered on. When the US was actively exploring alternative energy in the 70's & 80's OPEC responded by increasing production so the price of gas fell to below $1.00/gal. It then stayed there until we stopped exploring alternative energy (because oil was so much cheaper). Then the price started to slowly creep up again. In the 70's and 80's we responded by purchasing Datsuns and Diesels. 20 years later we're buying Hondas and Hybrids. Serious talking of hydrogen and other alternative fuels. Sounds like its time for them to step up production again. If we move to another fuel they won't make much money on us anymore. They don't want that. Look for the price to slowly fall until alternative energy is no longer economically viable.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
I don't think they got screwed. The buyers probably screwed themselves. Anyone who knows anything about economics would know that kind of price cannot be sustained for a long period of time. OPEC knows what side their bread is buttered on. When the US was actively exploring alternative energy in the 70's & 80's OPEC responded by increasing production so the price of gas fell to below $1.00/gal. It then stayed there until we stopped exploring alternative energy (because oil was so much cheaper). Then the price started to slowly creep up again. In the 70's and 80's we responded by purchasing Datsuns and Diesels. 20 years later we're buying Hondas and Hybrids. Serious talking of hydrogen and other alternative fuels. Sounds like its time for them to step up production again. If we move to another fuel they won't make much money on us anymore. They don't want that. Look for the price to slowly fall until alternative energy is no longer economically viable.

-Jay
As I recall, back in the '70s and '80s OPEC had a lot of extra production capacity which wasn't being used. Someone correct me if I am wrong (and I may well be) but I don't think they have invested much in production capacity, exploration, or infrastructure since the OPEC countries nationalized and, IMHO, stole the facilities which were established and developed by US companies. This time around, so I am told, there really isn't much more capacity available. The price may well slowly fall, we still need to keep on developing more renewable energy.

As for the people who purchased the Chrysler products being screwed...if they purchased the car they WANTED at a favorable price, then they weren't screwed even if the price of gasoline falls to 30 cents per gallon. They got the car they wanted, and hopefully will enjoy it anyway. If they justified their purchase solely on the gasoline price guarantee, then they may be disappointed, but they weren't screwed...I don't think anybody had a gun held to their heads and ordered to buy a car...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:22 AM   #6
Site Team / Moderator

You have a point there. Anyone who purchases a vehicle solely on the basis of a gasoline price guarantee is an idiot. They're still operating their vehicle for the same, or maybe an even lower cost. If they purchased a vehicle that they needed, and after doing some research decided they wanted a Chrysler product then the price protection was a bonus, and they really shouldn't care either way.

-Jay

Old 10-02-2008, 03:35 AM   #7
Registered Member

New US car sales are falling off a cliff. I wont be buyng a new car for many years. Can't say the wife might not buy one.

If she does it will get better mileage than her Murano. Last tank was 25.1 MPG in the Murano, and they try to talk it's value down for poor mileage if you go to any dealer.

regards
gary
Old 10-02-2008, 03:53 AM   #8
Site Team / Moderator

I wouldn't mind a new truck, but all my money is tied up in my business right now. Its a fantastic time to buy if you can afford it. Honestly if I do anything I think I'll just sell Rusty, make The Beast my beater pickup, and buy something that got better mileage as a DD.

-Jay

Old 10-02-2008, 04:49 AM   #9

The gimmick from Mopar was a bet. That's all. Most are still in the black on it, but some aren't. Oh, well.
Mayhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:39 AM   #10
Registered Member

well the point is.. the average american really gets suckered into the commercails. i mean, the commercials kept on using the "never pay 3 dollars on gas again" on whatever the gas may be, 4,5,or 10 a gallon, you still pay 2.99

those 2 people that i knew, they bought a pos caliber because of that. the salesperson were comparing to how cheap it is compared to a matrix, vibe, etc.and add a normal sales pitch, you got yourself a deal.

www.kcgasprices.com its under 3 a gallon for the cheapest places

civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote