Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2006, 05:42 AM   #31
Registered Member

Re: Automatic Tranmissions Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
Auto trannies stink -- diagnosing problems with them is also an enigma. I don't really know what goes on in there. Standard trans., IMHO is so much better (for economy, statistics show people who drive sticks have fewer accidents than auto-only's, etc.) I think people should learn to drive a stick-shift in driver training.

I also think we should switch to the metric system by teaching it from Kindergarten onward (maybe MetroMPG can help me out here -- when did Canada make the switch, and how did it phase-in?). I know it will never happen because we're so stuck on the "English" system of measurement. Same thing with automatic transmissions. The U.S. is just full of them. In Europe, is exactly the opposite.

Compaq888 - do you know the history of the car? I know a lot of rental companies had/have Altimas. If it was an old rental, I'd ditch it quick. My folks bought a Jeep that was a rental (at a significant discount), and the four-wheel-drive went out on it early. Not only are the renters hard on the transmissions, but the rental agency people too -- they're way hard on cars when they move them around.

Otherwise, the car is a good, reliable choice. Consumer Reports rates it a "Best Buy" in used cars, with the transmission being "excellent" in reliability for that year. According to their site, 99's are currently worth $5k-7500. The decision to repair the transmission may be a costly one, if that's the problem. Bear in mind the repair cost, number of miles, and what it's worth. If you can, take it to a mechanic to drive it to diagnose the problem (since the codes show no fault). Best of luck, and keep us posted...

RH77
I know everything about my car. The car was a rental till 11k. Then after that a woman drove it for 20k miles. Then a guy drove it for 20k miles. When I bought the car with low 50k miles the tranny was in perfect condition. The car had an erratic idle and wasn't taken care of. I changed all the maintenance stuff so far except the PCV valve. Changed the window switch, some light bulbs, tires because the brakes lock up too easy. Dealer said it was normal, even though I almost crashed 3 times because of it. The car is at 65k now. I doubt it will get sold for $5-7k. I myself bought it for $3500. It has a good a mount of body damage. It looks fine from 100 feet away but when you come up close the corner light needs to be replaced, 2 bumpers, a lot of dents on the car. Not to mention a good a mount of deep scratches to the metal.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:13 AM   #32
Registered Member

$3500

Despite its fair/poor body condition, you still might be able to sell it for a reasonable amount (don't know your market/region). My recommendation would be to sell it since you have the transmission problems mentioned and since it was a rental. If you have a CarMax near you, they'll give the car a quick "once-over" and offer you a cash price for the vehicle -- you don't even have to buy a car from them. They'll probably take it and auction it off. I like to use them to get a fair market value for my cars, based on the current behind-the-scenes auction circuit. Sometimes it's disappointing, and other times it's a little higher than you'd expect.

RH77

Old 01-17-2006, 08:42 AM   #33
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
I also think we should switch to the metric system by teaching it from Kindergarten onward (maybe MetroMPG can help me out here -- when did Canada make the switch, and how did it phase-in?).
it happened in the early 80s. i was in the first generation of kids to grow up not learning imperial. the imperial i know was learned outside of school.

though, as one of the items in the link below points out, we tend to use a mix: e.g. feet & lbs for measuring people, miles per imperial (british) gallon for cars (as well as L/100km), and metric for everything else.

you really want details? see:

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDD-1-75-1572/science_technology/metric_system/
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:32 AM   #34
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
it happened in the early 80s. i was in the first generation of kids to grow up not learning imperial. the imperial i know was learned outside of school.
I didn't learn metric until I lived in the Philippines for a few years. It was a sudden shock when all of a sudden I had to learn the metric system. Ordering food (meat, rice, etc.) in kilograms was easy to learn. Talking about distance in kilometers was something I never really got used to. Describing people's heigh in cm's was also next to impossible.

When I have a child I'll be damned if we don't teach the metric system in the house. Maybe we can make an effort as a family to only use the metric system.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:53 AM   #35
Registered Member

For those who dont know:

For those who dont know: Metric (kilogram, meter, liter) is approximately based around water.

1 meter cubed water ~= 1 ton(1000 kilograms) of water.
Also: Heat required to rise 1 celcius of 1 centimeter cubed water = 1 calory.

I thank God there is only one universal "time" measurement system in the world rather then different weight, length and volume measurements.. Otherwise conversions would be much more difficult.

And there is also the "right hand drive" cars and traffic issue ..it must be solved also
Capcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:58 AM   #36
Registered Member

capcom - what side do you

capcom - what side do you drive on in turkey?
Old 01-17-2006, 12:03 PM   #37
Registered Member

"Standart" Right side sir.

"Standart" Right side sir. (Steering wheel/driver at left)
Capcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:15 PM   #38
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
you really want details? see:

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDD-1-75-1572/science_technology/metric_system/
Wow, thanks for the link -- lots of cool info. BTW, I love Canada -- I think the U.S. should take some cues from your Country's laws and philosophies. I get to work there from time to time, and really enojoy the visit. Your bio says Eastern Ontario -- are you close to Ottawa, or further North?

RH77
Old 01-18-2006, 05:41 AM   #39
Registered Member

i'm about an hour south of

i'm about an hour south of ottawa, on the st. lawrence river.

the timing of your comment on our laws and philosophies is kind of funny - our national election is coming up on monday and it appears from the polls we're heading for a switch from a liberal to a conservative federal government. (not wanting to start a political discussion in a fuel economy forum - just pointing it out.)
Old 03-26-2006, 04:05 AM   #40
Registered Member

My weight reduction so

My weight reduction so far.....
- Trunk interior pieces - 10.2 lbs
- Spare tire, jack & tools - 23.8 lbs
- Battery Powered air pump - 9.0 lbs
- only filling to 1/2 tank, 30 ohms (5 fewer gallons at any given time) 5*6.25= 31.3 lbs
- Personal spare tire reduction 193-190= 3.0 lbs
- Cleaned out briefcase - 5.0 lbs (damn spare laptop battery!)
- Oil level at minimum mark on dipstick - 0.5 lbs
- only filling washer fluid reservior to 1/2 full (1/2 fewer gallons at any gtiven time) - 4.0 lbs

- Total 88.8 lbs so far.

Future planned reductions:
- Further reduction of personal spare - 15 lbs
- Possible removal of passenger seat - 35 lbs ???
- Possible removal of roof holder in trunk - 10 lbs ???
- Possible removal of AC system (I am struggling with this. I don't use AC but it would be a shame to remove a perfectly good system) - 30 lbs.
- Possible passenger side view mirror removal - 3 lbs plus aero benefit.
- VX wheels and tires - 50 lbs???

Total additional possibilities - 143 lbs

What else am I missing here?

Oh yea, the removeable top is 25 lbs but prolly increases drag and it would really suck if it rains.....

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote