Diesel CRX? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
Registered Member

Diesel CRX?

I have an 89 CRX Si languishing next to my garage that I've been thinking about sticking a diesel in--anyone here know of any build threads for this?

Alternatively I've been thinking of popping a DX 5th gear or final in it. Pardon the ignorance here but I haven't dug into the nuances of the transaxles on these yet so guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks. (new to the site).

biglake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:29 AM   #2
Registered Member

You would need a cable conversion. The efs Hondas had a cable trans and the eg ek had a hydro trans. it's not that hard. You could do a whole honda swap engine and trans would be a ton easier than a diesel.

Rusty94cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks, what engine/trans combo would be the optimal in terms of rpm and fuel effeciency? Currently my ef's are turning around 3600 rpm at 75mph and I want to drop it down to 2800 (DX gearing) or so to improve mileage and also decrease the noise of that screaming engine. There must be an optimal combo which would give happy rpms and also improved gas mileage.
biglake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
Registered Member

I once saw a diesel CRX site. They put some small, general purpose engine into the car. It might have been able to reach 40mph.

A quick search revealed some discussion about transplanting a VW diesel into a CRX. As Rusty pointed out, it won't be the easier route.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
Registered Member

Find a hf cable trans. Good luck with that.
Rusty94cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
Registered Member

Sorry ....

Hi All New Guy Here,

I love the idea of the project and had a great suggestion for a motor, "but" then it hit me, and please correct me if I'm wrong here but I'm convinced that your year Honda falls into the generation of the reverse rotation motors.

I was going to recommend a Yanmar 3cylinder diesel they use in HD lawn tractors (golf course, grounds keeping and cemetery use mostly) They only make about 45 HP but they knock down nearly 100 Ft lbs of TQ slightly off idle to about a 3800 redline.
dynovalvefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
Registered Member

Another, pricier route, is to look into importing engine. Japanese emission and taxing laws means there is a fairly quick turnover for vehicles. It is possible to import the used engines, and some people do to get performance ones for their Civics.

Honda makes diesels for the overseas markets, and they have a good rep. I have no idea if importing one of the diesels would be possible, or if our emission regulations prevent it.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote