Diesel Kleen cetane booster - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-05-2005, 06:25 AM   #1
FE nut

Diesel Kleen cetane booster

Hi, I'm not sure if this is in the right area so please forgive me in advance if it isn't. In the Yahoo! group, "pes_acetone", it was suggested that adding 1/2 ounce of "Diesel Kleene" cetane booster per gallon of gasoline could increase mileage as much as 3 mpg. Does this sound like a good topic for an experiment?

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 06:37 AM   #2
*shrug*

Basjoos login probs

So what you're saying is to put some of the diesel junk in the old gasoline and trying to boost mpg that way? This sounds pretty interesting, and I think it is definately worth a shot. You just need to talk to Matt about it (I think he might change the testing stuff to make it a little easier) and do like a formal experiment write-up or whatev. It's not really that much work. I'd participate for sure. But in any case, can you get a link to some places selling this or giving information on it and throw it up in the general discussion area? Thanks!

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 09:27 AM   #3
Driving on E

At what point do you lug?

<p>Diesel Kleen... where can we get it?&nbsp; If it's available at local autozones, etc, it might be a good idea.</p><p>What I&quot;d like to do is have a chart of attitives and list their gas mileage benefits (or lack thereof). &nbsp;&nbsp;</p><p>One thing I wonder about additives is if all they really do is boost octane or maybe just clean off the injectors.&nbsp; Acetone claims to boost gas mileage by lowering surface tension of gasoline, thus making it more combustable.&nbsp; What is the reason that Diesel Kleen works?</p><p>&nbsp;Oh, I'm going to move this thread to the General Gas Mileage discussion area until we have a formal experiment ready for it.&nbsp; Diamondlarry, are you interested in participating in this experiment?&nbsp; I am going to use a much easier method for this one, so be on the lookout for it.&nbsp; We'll call it &quot;Test method A.&quot;&nbsp; &quot;Test Method B&quot; will be the more strict one that should only be used in the event of something major.<br />&nbsp;</p>
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 10:16 AM   #4
FE nut

importing gaslog data from other sites

<p>I purchased my bottle of Diesel Kleene at Advance Auto for $5.18/32 ounce. Below is an excerpt of the post I read this at:</p>
<p><font face="Courier New">This works because the active ingredients in Cetane Improvers is organic<br />nitrates. These are ignition improvers. Think of a thousand small tiny<br />lights of fire as the plug ignites the charge. The fuel simply burns<br />faster.</font><br /></p>

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
Old 09-05-2005, 10:20 AM   #5
*shrug*

Why I now love Jiffy Lube

So does that means it works by lowering the octane and therefore the gas burns more completely and is not wasted?
Old 09-05-2005, 10:24 AM   #6
FE nut

Riding with non-FE drivers

I'm not sure, I didn't do so well in chemistry in high school. :-)

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
Old 09-05-2005, 10:26 AM   #7
*shrug*

Way to go SVOBoy!

Yeah, I dunno about chemistry, I just know that the difference in octane is how long it take to burn and what not, or at least that was what I was told and now believe. But on to trying to figure out pictures...
Old 09-05-2005, 12:23 PM   #8
Registered Member

Difference between Honda D15B6 HF and D15B8 CX?

i know that in diesel, cetane is the reverse rating of octane. &nbsp; so, a cetane booster would lower the octane.
bagpipe goatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 12:30 PM   #9
*shrug*

Aha, smart fellow.

So then I guess the benefits would have to be done based on whether or not our cars individually like higher or lower octanes...
Old 09-05-2005, 10:46 PM   #10
Registered Member

Synthetic ATF & additives...

<p>This doesnt sound like a good idea to try on my PT turbo. I use premium. Not going to pay to lower the octane in it.&nbsp; :-)<br />
</p><p>If it does lower the octane then the knock sensor (if your car
has one) will retard the timing&nbsp; and keep the engine from being damaged
from knocks, pings and predetonation. This in turn will lower the
power. But if it does improve mpg then a slight loss of power may be
worth it.</p><p>I tried running reg gas in my car as the computer will
lower turbo pressure and retard timing to save the engine but the mpg
was the same. Surprised me.</p><p>I wish you luck when testing.&nbsp;</p>

chasgood is offline   Reply With Quote