Difference between Honda D15B6 HF and D15B8 CX? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2006, 06:48 AM   #11
Registered Member

I want to wire the VX motor in like it was made to be there, like in a VX chassis. If the VX originally had a 5-wire O2, then I'll need to adapt my HF harness to run a 5-wire O2. I am not interested in chipping it unless that will give me enough mpg gains to offset the time/cost/frustration of tracking down a chippable ECU and getting it to work. I'm looking to make a reliable DD w/ excellent FE but not at the expense of practicality. I don't mind having a stripped interior, no A/C, and modest areo mods but the car has to run right, day after day. What's the best bet in getting the D15Z1 in there and running like a champ, no thrown codes and no electrical gremlins? Mak

MakDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:04 AM   #12
Registered Member

Yes, I agree about the chipping part - if you have the chippable one that's cool for later, but if you don't I'd not worry about it.

As for getting in and working properly, it will be similar to many a "mini-me" conversions done on the 4th gen cars with the exception of the 5-wire O2 wiring. I'll dig up some links and post them here.

Here's a link to a lot of links: http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1508680

I'll try to sort it down a tad, but that's got tons of great Honda stuff on it.

Something you might consider is talking to these guys: http://rywire.com/store/8891-crxcivi...aa48afe50a9b65

They have a conversion harness ($190 ~ gulp) and they could most likely do the additional changes required for the Z1 if you called and asked nicely That's the least time consuming way but it will cost ya.

There was a guy on SohcHonda the other day with a rywire harness - and it sounds like he may not use it now. http://www.sohchonda.com/forums/inde...topic=10316&hl= Might hit him up and see if he want to sell it. It won't be exactly what you need, but should only require small mods for the o2 to work.

GasSavers_civicminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:57 PM   #13
Registered Member

Thanks for all the info. I've found enough semi-useful tech. info to get an idea of what is involved. Seems if I just get a 92-95 VX Helms manual and study the crap out of the pin-outs on the ECU and wiring versus my '89 Helms I'll be in decent shape until I run into something I can get answered on one of the boards. Let the journey begin!! Time to source a low-mile D15Z1/JDM D15B.....I still have the '89 HF Tranny for super-tall gear ratios. Mak

P.S. keep sending any useful info that is found, I'll need all I can get.

MakDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:47 AM   #14
Registered Member

If you are looking for a JDM D15B, the best way to tell if it's VTEC-E or not is to look at the head code.

Here's a link if you don't know where to look: http://www.sohchonda.com/forums/inde...owtopic=135&hl=

Also, keep in mind that Bunger and Matt Timion both have Z1 projects ongoing and they will be learning some things too - here's a link to their projects:

Matt Timion's D15Z1 Swap Project Log
Bunger's D15Z1 CRX HF

GasSavers_civicminded is offline   Reply With Quote