Disabling Cylinders? - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2007, 06:39 PM   #31
Registered Member

how did a cylinder deactivation thread get contaminated with a spamlube discussion again?

Old 12-18-2007, 06:47 PM   #32
Registered Member

wow, I shoulda searched, there is a recent (ok, not that recent) cylinder deactivation experiment right here:
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=243

Old 12-18-2007, 08:00 PM   #33
Registered Member

My only complaint about SynLube is that I emailed the guy, asking him exactly what it was, and he referred me to his website, which nowhere states specifically exactly what it is.
caveatipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:47 AM   #34
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
After many years in the business explaining what his product is gets pretty repetative - so check out this like below or the text I clipped from it. The Table of Contents is a good place to start in their website too.

http://www.synlube.com/prod01.htm

Product Description
SynLube™ is a synergetic blend of man-made liquid and solid chemically inert lubricants that are thermally stable from -65°F (-54°C) to over 500°F (260°C). The sub-micronic particles of Graphite, PTFE and MoS2 are colloidally suspended in a mixture of synthetic liquid lubricants.

SynLube™ is a 100% fully synthetic, multi-grade, super premium, colloidal Sol lubricant.

SynLube™ does not oxidize nor decompose like conventional Petroleum or Synthetic Motor Oils. It can be therefore used, without oil changes, for up to 15 Years / 150,000 Miles or for up to
5,000 Hours of Engine operation in Gasoline Engines, or up to 2,000 Hours in Diesel Engines.

SynLube™ Lube-4-Life ® ...for Engines is backed up, if installed in NEW vehicles, by our exclusive Limited Lubrication Performance Warranty for up to:
15 Years or 150,000 Miles (15 years or 240,000 Kilometers)
see: Warranty in Services section for details.

Product Performance
SynLube™ Lube-4-Life ® ...for Engines exceeds all of the following performance requirements:

API Service SJ Warranty Requirements for new 1997 Model Cars, Vans & Trucks
API Service SL Warranty Requirements for new 2001 Model Cars, Vans & Trucks
API Service SM Warranty Requirements for new 2005 Model Cars, Vans & Trucks
API Service CG-4, CF-2, CF-4, CF Warranty Requirements for Heavy Duty Diesel Engines
API Service CH-4 Warranty Requirements for new 1998 Low Emission Heavy Duty Diesels
API Service CI-4 Warranty Requirements for new 2002 Low Emission Heavy Duty Diesels with EGR.
API Service CJ-4 Warranty Requirements for new 2007 Low Emission Heavy Duty Diesels using fuel with 15 PPM Sulfur.
Global DHD-1 performance specification for Heavy Duty Diesel Service according to International specifications
Cummins performance specification 20076 (also called CH-4 plus or CH-4+)
Mack EO-M, EO-M PLUS, EO-L, EO-L PLUS & EO-K/2 Performance Specifications
Quadruple Cummins NTC-400 performance
Caterpillar 10 TBN requirements
Detroit Diesel 7SE 270
Exceeds the requirements of MIL-L-22851C (U.S. Military)
ACEA ES-99 European Specifications for Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil
ACEA B4-98 European Specifications for Light Duty High Speed Diesel Engine Oil
ACEA A3-98 European Specification for Gasoline Engine Oil
CCMC PD-2 for High Performance Automotive Diesel Engines
CCMC G-5 & D-5
ILSAC GF-1, GF-2, GF-3 & GF-4
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:35 AM   #35
Registered Member

The thread I posted before (and that JanGeo quoted from) notes something very interesting. Several of those specifications that SynLube claims to meet are mutually exclusive. IE if it meets one, there is no way it'll meet another because their requirements are so different.

Also according to that thread, SynLube hasn't actually submitted to and been certified for many of them, so SynLube is *claiming* too meet specifications, but are unwilling or uninterested in actually getting certified as meeting it.

I personally wouldn't risk spending nearly $200 for the chance to put an *uncertified* oil in my car. I care too much about protecting my car to do that.

Think inside the Box!
Improbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:42 AM   #36
Registered Member

Well, certifications are that. You pay to have it looked at under specific parameters set up by someone. Those paramaters may have specific assumptions or even very low standards.

Personally, I have had an oil mixed to my specifications for my racing motorcycle. It isn't a bike that got torn down all the time or anything, so it's not like it was a lubricant that only had a shorts shelf life. We didn't submit it for any certification.

Similarly, motorcycle helmets have about three certifications that state standards for what they do. In some cases, a helmet that meets one specification cannot meet the other, and visa versa. It's a struggle for some to think outside the box.

I'm not sold completely on the Synlube idea, but I'd like to know more. New ideas are often looked at with distaste while the same ol' same ol' is looked at as gospel. I don't think that a manufacture would give one warranty coverage for using a non API certified oil for an oil related failure.

On a completely unrelated note, helicopters are still not supposed to work, but I've seen them and even flown in a couple. Maybe Synlube is the best stuff on earth? I don't know yet.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:00 AM   #37
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Which one is not possible to meet both with the same product? You think the same oil would not work in both diesel and gas motors? It can if it meets the requirements for both. Wouldn't be surprised if one of the specs is for it to have the ability to suspend sludge in it and it doesn't have to because none is formed by Synlube just like its ability to carry ash which it doesn't need to do because it doesn't create any.

Best stuff on earth?? Best stuff on Mars and the Moon!

Also keep in mind that Synlube has I think over 200 different products.

Like I said when all this started - if a Yugo can run 350,000 miles on this stuff then it must be pretty good.

http://www.synlube.com/15years.htm#1987%20YUGO%20GV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synlube.com
The SynLube™ GTM Motor Oil was replaced at 50,000 miles with SynLube™ Lube-4-Life® Motor Oil , oil filters were changed annually about every 30,000 miles at which time one quart of INITIAL FILL was installed.
The oil was not changed for 13 years !!! And estimated 350,000 miles of daily use!
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:24 AM   #38
Registered Member

I'm betting the duration of the daily drive (120 miles) and the individual driver habits contribute more toward the over all total mileage rather than just oil. An persons obstinance can even allow one to keep a car through axles, brakes, etc. where others just junk stuff.

I know people with old air cooled motorcycles that have 100k. It runs great, but at some point, most people ask why and part it out or move on to something that rides better and so on.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:37 PM   #39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgeo View Post
I did on a 304 Javelin and it was a mistake. I left the intake valves out. The transfer from cylinder to cylinder sapped the power at high rpm. I gained about 10-15% in mileage. The engine ran fine on 1 barrel of the carb. The intake manifold was completely separated which I thought was a bit unusual.
lol when my parents forst got married they had a 76 dodge van and liek a 77 ltd hunk of crap. van had a straight 6 that was still running and driving until like 96 when it started crapping out.(it was everywhere, vacatiion/camper van) lol the ltd had a v8, well untill one of the pistons blew so my dad just took the sparkplug out , sealed the valves shut(took off the rockers) so it was a v7 and ran with a missfire...supposedly ran for a few years till they got a new car for her...

hehe any car can run almost forever with basic preventative maintince and good filters.

especially if the yugo driver was crusin 120 miles each way, thats a crapload of miles per start up ya know? the most wear and tear on an engine is short trips, its when the oil has to be pumped all the way back up the top end to start lubricating the pistons and valves and such. should do a test on a car using only dino oil and regular maintince and see how much wear it has...
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:54 AM   #40
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sludgy View Post
Cylinder ddeactivation technology exists and does work. But why have the car engineers not applied it to 4 cylinder engines? It's a conspiracy, I tell you.

It bothers me to no end that most carmakers just won't put the FE goodies in 4 bangers.
They DO have this today. I have it in my 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid. Under low-load conditions all eight valves close and all four cylinders are deactivated. At this point the car is propelled under the electric motor's power alone.