Disconnecting power steering - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2009, 08:43 AM   #1
Registered Member

Disconnecting power steering

I've been thinking about doing this for some time. My pump has seen better days (the pulley has a slight wobble). It would be be relatively easy to get a shorter belt that would just connect to the alternator. The question I have about this is; would draining the fluid form the system make it easier to turn the wheels, and is there any potential for damage.

Dr. Jerryrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:47 AM   #2
Site Team / Moderator

Draining the fluid would remove the lubrication from the steering box/rack & pinion (Whichever your vehicle is equipped with).

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:19 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Leave the pump and the lines and just bypass the pump.

I had a leaking rack on my old Toyota and I noticed no difference between having the the oil in the rack and not in the rack. Now, if you have inspection you might want to check what they'll say about a disconnected PS pump. They failed me for it and I had to buy a new rack before they would pass me. It was a safety inspection though not just an emissions test.

What car is this in? It's possible to have a car that had a non-power steering option or one could be swapped in. Those are MUCH easier to manually steer than going manual on a power unit.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
Registered Member

Fore Arms like Pop'i

Drove an 86 Aerostar for years, you can always hear a Ford by the whine of its power steering. My rack blew, so I started by putting in straight tranny fluid and finally I left an oil slick wherever I parked. I just pulled the belt, since it was a dedicated belt and the only thing bad about not having power steering in a power steering car is parallel parking. I would have to use both hands to jerk the wheel to make the thing turn. Freeway, just general driving was fine, but having to make a sharp turn at low speed will give you giant fore arms.

How much MPG will you gain by disconnecting it, littlle. Heres an idea, in your driveway start off by turning off the engine and trying to turn the wheels lock to lock, that's what it will feel like to parallel park, now do it 3 or 4 times and that will be the fun you get to have for parallel parking.

I think the previous idea about finding a non power rack at a junk yard would be the way to go, Ford Aerostars did not have a non power option and the rack casting were wierd so you couldn't swap em with a Taurus or Mustang.
GasSavers_Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:13 PM   #5
Registered Member

I've had power steering quit in several cars, all but one of them I repaired it right away. I'm all for exercise, but I would rather not get it in an emergency situation where I needed to turn quickly. The one car I did not fix the power steering on was a 1962 Rambler American. There was almost no difference turning the wheel with the car stopped whether the p/s was working or not. As far as MPG, there was no discernible difference with or without p/s.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:49 AM   #6
Registered Member

Re-adjust the pressure relief valve to open at a lower pressure. The pump will put out the same volume, but won't require as much engine effort to turn it. You'll have to make up the difference with armstrong assist. Some unquantifiable saving on fuel there.
Or as I did by installing a smaller crank drive pulley. The pump (waterpump, too) turns slower thus using less energy. The full assist pressure is still there, but real fast lock to lock turns uses up the available flow rate. I only experience that on the autocross course, but I did with the normal speed pulley too.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:21 AM   #7
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

I've replaced PS pumps, mostly because the bearings inside were wearing out, and the pump was noisy. I've never taken one to the point of complete failure.

My mother's old 88 LeBarron had a noisy pump, dad was on his way to the auto parts store to buy a replacement. When he pulled into the parking lot there was smoke from the hood. The pump was on fire. He pulled in front of the store, ran in, picked up a fire extuingisher, and threw his credit card on the counter on his way out the door. Put the fire out, then came back in and bought a new pump. It was quite an adventure.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Forget about turning my steering wheel with the engine off . . . even with the tires jacked up off the ground it is hard to do and not recommended in the owners manual. So it will vary with the system - definately needs to be lubricated and leaking seals will cause an inspection problem and a leaking pump also from what I remember. You can always pick one up used.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:38 PM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Has it even been proven that disconnecting that pump saves a measurable amount of fuel?

I mean, when you aren't turning the pump is just free flowing through the steering box/rack and doesn't see much of any resistance and isn't building pressure.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:36 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
Has it even been proven that disconnecting that pump saves a measurable amount of fuel?

I mean, when you aren't turning the pump is just free flowing through the steering box/rack and doesn't see much of any resistance and isn't building pressure.
As per my earlier comment with the '62 Rambler, there was no difference in MPG. with or without power assist.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote