Discuss adding a 2nd vehicle to your expenses. - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
The wear on the newer vehicle is not particularly meaningful. Besides repairing it, it can always be replaced with an equally nice vehicle. I'm not sure that rotting in the yard is any worse than piling on the miles, so I'm not sure an additional vehicle means anything from that standpoint.

However, it can still be quite worthwhile, just not for the sake of preserving a car as if it was a museum piece...
  • If the extra vehicle does not pay for itself and you already have a surplus of vehicles, then the answer is no, it's not worthwhile.
  • If the extra vehicle pays for itself but you already have a surplus of vehicles, the answer is neutral.
  • If you do not have a surplus of vehicles, and the extra vehicle either pays for itself or doesn't cost much, then it is absolutely worth having.

Having a surplus of vehicles, if you do your own repairs, is a HUGE money saver. You get to be patient with the broken vehicle, do the job right, and get the parts as economically as possible even if that means waiting for a Saturday junkyard trip or mail-order parts. There's no pressure and there's no days off of work when you realize that the broken car won't go today. As you said, just grab another set of keys and go to work.

If you already have a surplus (Jay!), then it's only about whether the vehicle pays for itself (or better). My leased VW, for example, has exceeded my FE expectations. I calculated it to come out approximately even compared to fueling and maintaining my truck for over 30,000 miles per year. Truck tires are very expensive!

I have found ways to make the truck cheaper (used tires, for example) but I've also gotten well over 150% of my expected FE from the VW (I caculated based on getting EPA only).

Having a brand new vehicle to make sure I could get to my new job every day....that was priceless! Now that I'm settled in and expect to stay here a long time and I've found that it is ok for me to be unexpectedly late or absent, I could drive a beater, but at that time it was vitally important that I get there on time every day.
Replacing it with an equally nice vehicle means more $ out of pocket than the lousy $550 I paid for the Laser... Her '04 Grand Prix still books around $7-8k and she'll soon be burried under about $80k in school loans.. she doesn't want to spend any additional money on a car when she graduates and her daily driver had 220k.

The "surplus" of vehicles points are moot. The car is mine but we're not talking about it as "mine", but me essentially giving it to her and it being her second vehicle.

As for other's regards about insurance expenses... I only insure my primary vehicle and my motorcycle. The other 4 just sit. 2 are in the garage (Miata and '01 SL1) while 2 are in the driveway (Camaro and Laser).

I've found myself in a pickle a time or two in these situations where a car won't start or it's going to take an additional day (workday) to get it on the road... that's what's so nice about have two SL series saturns in nearly the same color. So it's not so simple as "go grab another set of keys" you see, I have two license plate screws to remove as well. Shhhhh, THE MAN doesn't like that kinda trickery. LOL

PS: pgfpro - keep the Corolla around man! It's paid for, gets excellent mileage, and is stock/reliable. Worst case scenario, take the insurance off it and park it for a few months and see if you really don't need it ever of if times come up that it'd be nice to have it road-ready.

'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:44 PM   #12
Registered Member

For the heck of it I'll explain my vehicle list too.

'96 Saturn SL2 - daily driver. A/C works now that I charged it and w/ the aftermarket head unit w/ mp3 player, power windows and a sunroof, it's hard to sell it and switch to the '01 SL1.... here's why.

'01 Saturn SL1 - will replace the '96 when the day comes but I'm not as stoked as I once was about this. A/C doesn't work, needs compressor bearings BUT you can't buy them seperate, you gotta replace the whole compressor at $250. I'd roll it w/o A/C but it doesn't have PW and I hate wind noise and it would be annoying to always be reaching way back and rolling down the rear windows to alleviate the noise. No mp3 capabilities yet either.

'94 Camaro Z28 - this was my "race car" for local SCCA stuff. Made a small name for myself in it. Currently requires some TLC in form of buff/polish, replace driver's door hinges due to sagging, and replace posi-unit or entire rear end (easier) which I can't seem to find the correct gear ratio of 3.42 to keep my speedo correct. At the end of the day, 6-speeds and 350+ ft. lbs. of torque just do magical things to me.

'96 Mazda Miata - turbo project that stalled out due to buying the house. Need to invest about $400 to finish it and some time/effort which is lacking the most. Will either "flip" the car for $1k profit or begin SCCA again in this thing... which was the original purpose. Also it's a convertible which I've never driven, so I'm looking forward to experiencing that.

'90 Plymouth Laser - bought to become the hypermiler, plain and simple. Aero mods planned. Will most likely be the "long-trips only" car once decided upon if it'll become the g/f's or not and even if it does she takes most long trips with me so we'll still use it for that purpose.

'04 Ninja 250 - bought to learn how to ride... bored w/ it so I'm now abusing it to death and loving every second of 13k RPM and 60mpg. Will sell next spring and upgrade or give to a friend so someone can ride w/ me or teach the g/f how to ride on it.

'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:32 PM   #13
Lean Burn Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
PS: pgfpro - keep the Corolla around man! It's paid for, gets excellent mileage, and is stock/reliable. Worst case scenario, take the insurance off it and park it for a few months and see if you really don't need it ever of if times come up that it'd be nice to have it road-ready.
I think we will. Its just very hard to justify letting a perfectly good car go that is out right paid for. For what we could sell the 1995 Toyota Corolla wouldn't amount to anything.

The Del Sol and Talon are just more experiment subjects for me. During the winter months she will drive the Talon when the roads get bad, and during the summer months the Del Sol will be our test freeway vehicle.

Like you said it sure is nice to have a backup car ready to go that's 100% paid for.