Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2007, 09:35 AM   #111
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwxr7 View Post
That sounds about right for me too.
Unfortunately most of my commute has a 55 mph minimum limit now . I stick between 55 and 60 on those roads, but I have my rear add-on LEDs lit up all the time for added visibility (without significant added electrical load). Once in a while I'll notice an irritated driver when they pass. One time a semi blew his air horns at me when he passed. I'm not sure exactly why he was mad, semis are limited to 55mph in that section?

haha when was the last time you accualy saw a semi going the speed limit? comon...when your driving a 20 ton truck going 70mph and come up to a car going way less and have to slam on your brakes its prolly no fun trying to stop such a beast.

but i have been thinking about people who are going to extremes to save a few cents. which alot of stuff they do is lillegal: not stoping to turn right on red (almost hit a dumb lady today because she did this) taking sharp curves at excessive speed so they dont have to touch the brakes (most likely cross the double yellow to do so and/or go whipping around a blind cornner) going under the minimum posted speed limit (tickets can and will be issued for this) not using headlights or turnsignals at appropriate times(failure to signal)(dumb people who drive in fog/rain/sleet/snow/or dusk without thier lights on. if someone pulls out in front of you and you dont have your lights on in adverse weather conditions the person who didnt have thier lights on will get a big ticket and the person who pulled out will get a failure to yeild ticket, which is nothing)

i say if these people really want to save gas why dont they just buy a cheap dirtbike, make it street legal. and go get 70+ mpg!

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:37 AM   #112
Registered Member

half those things you mentioned are done by drivers that aren't driving for better mileage.

I say if you in such a hurry, then next time leave a few minutes sooner. why speed just to save a minute or 2???

LxMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:47 AM   #113
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
i say if these people really want to save gas why dont they just buy a cheap dirtbike, make it street legal. and go get 70+ mpg!
http://www.gassavers.org/garage/view/198
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:07 AM   #114
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LxMike View Post
half those things you mentioned are done by drivers that aren't driving for better mileage.

I say if you in such a hurry, then next time leave a few minutes sooner. why speed just to save a minute or 2???
ive read a few things, someone mentioned that stoping on the right turn stopped his momentum so he doesnt fully stop some times. someone else mentioned that they take cornners fast so they dont slow down as much, thus less acceleration. someoen else said to do stuff during the day so you wont use your headlights (fog happens early morning rain sleet snow happens at all times) and sure some people flat out forget but im sure theres at least one or 2 in the world that purposely leave them off.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:22 AM   #115
Registered Member

Quote:
haha when was the last time you accualy saw a semi going the speed limit? comon...when your driving a 20 ton truck going 70mph and come up to a car going way less and have to slam on your brakes its prolly no fun trying to stop such a beast.
That's what the left lane is for. I was in the right lane.

jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:05 PM   #116
Registered Member

You know, come to think of it I've never seen a 'minimum' speed limit on Saskatchewan roads. Perhaps we're all just used to the combines and tractors taking up both the shoulder & right lane doing 25mph.

As for drivers that have to 'slam' on their brakes because I was doing 1/2 the speed they were going, it's their fault for not looking for real or potential hazards on the roadway. If a wild animal came scampering across the road and I hit it, I would still have to pay my $700 deductible to get my car fixed (or most likely written off) because I wasn't paying attention to potential hazards.
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:15 PM   #117
FE nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LxMike View Post

I think I have to agree with you. Why is it that someone going the speed limit, ie. "slow", is in the wrong?

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:20 PM   #118
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlarry View Post
I think I have to agree with you. Why is it that someone going the speed limit, ie. "slow", is in the wrong?

Yea I think they need to change the signs to read max speed. It appears that the word Limit gets lost in the translation and that the limit is the minimum speed that one should travel on that segment of road.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:11 PM   #119
Registered Member

Do what I do to those kinds of idiots....if you have a friend in the same general area, call them over and box in the idiotic driver between a guardrail/wall and your two cars. It pisses them off to no end to have to actually go the speed LIMIT for a few miles until we let them out of the "trap".

Of course, this doesn't happen often because I rarely have friends driving the same roads as me, but I'd say we've probably done it a few times over the pas few years. It's always good for a laugh.
Jonathan_ED3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:49 AM   #120
Supporting Member

Jonathan_ED3 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_ED3 View Post
Do what I do to those kinds of idiots....if you have a friend in the same general area, call them over and box in the idiotic driver between a guardrail/wall and your two cars. It pisses them off to no end to have to actually go the speed LIMIT for a few miles until we let them out of the "trap".

Of course, this doesn't happen often because I rarely have friends driving the same roads as me, but I'd say we've probably done it a few times over the pas few years. It's always good for a laugh.
Maybe 3 or 4 times in my life I have done something like that to a driver "bullying" another driver. No matter what the offense, it was a total over-reaction. In those times, and if I am in the right mood, I have added myself to the fray, maybe by inserting my car between the two and making it clear to the aggressor what I am doing. What I like about it is that they usually get flustered because it is not something they expect. They dont have their "prey" all to themselves, so it changes the dynamic.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote