Do other drivers ever get pissed off at you? - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2006, 07:51 AM   #31
Registered Member

I drive at or below the speed limit. Other drivers being pissed off is not my problem. Our lives are as stressed as they need to be anyway, so I drive slow and enjoy it. It's really quite relaxing to drive slow, not have to watch for cops, constantly evaluate if your going too fast for the conditions, or fight for the next gap in traffic to gain another 50 feet on everyone else.
I say screw em! Enjoy the drive, it's my life dammit!

bones33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:08 AM   #32
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatr911
I drive at or below the speed limit. Other drivers being pissed off is not my problem. Our lives are as stressed as they need to be anyway, so I drive slow and enjoy it. It's really quite relaxing to drive slow, not have to watch for cops, constantly evaluate if your going too fast for the conditions, or fight for the next gap in traffic to gain another 50 feet on everyone else.
I say screw em! Enjoy the drive, it's my life dammit!
Very well said! I like that!

https://www.cardomain.com/ride/2452824

GasSavers_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:17 AM   #33
Registered Member

Yeah beatr911, it is really relaxing driving at/below speed limit. I even find I enjoy seeing Police officers instead of trying to avoid them. lol I wave, and they just look suspiciously at me.

GasSavers_civicminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:22 AM   #34
*shrug*

I consider my driving style and extension of my *shrug* kinda of attitude. Just being mellow, it's not like I have anywhere to be, and when I do, I'm early, because I'm not trying to cram a bunch of crap in and make myself go nuts.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:53 AM   #35
Registered Member

One gripe I have, as well, is the folk's who feel it's their duty to honk at you, at a light, because the light changed 1 second ago and your blocking the way. Sometime's I'd like to just sit their and wait for the next light!
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:05 AM   #36

Speed limits aren't even an issue if you follow the rule of the Autobahn - "stay right except to pass"

On the express way, I drive whatever speed I want to in the far right lane (usually 55-60 mph) and only venture leftward if a lane becomes exit only or if I need to pass someone.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:27 AM   #37
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
Speed limits aren't even an issue if you follow the rule of the Autobahn - "stay right except to pass"

On the express way, I drive whatever speed I want to in the far right lane (usually 55-60 mph) and only venture leftward if a lane becomes exit only or if I need to pass someone.
same here

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:48 PM   #38
*shrug*

Speed limits are in issue environmentally, though,
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:00 PM   #39
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
Not if we were driving EVs, powered by wind, solar, hydroelectric, and biomass electricity.

Personally, I dislike speed limits. America's interstate highways were originally enginered for ~80 mph, and that is what the flow of traffic will roughly be, regardless of the limit. Lowering the speed limit simply acts as a means to allow law enforcement to generate revenue for their municipality. That revenue comes from you and I, the taxpayer. It allows the insurance industry an excuse to jack up rates if you get stopped. Naturally, it is the government bureacrats and insurance industry that lobby to keep speed limits down. more money goes from you to them. Even those that decide to follow the limit then have a higher accident rate than if they went with the traffic flow, also helping to generate revenue(even if they may not be at fault for the accident, since speeders run into them!).

But given that these limits exist, I'm not afraid to take advantage of them when I need to. When I get a car that doesn't need gas anymore, I will go back to my old lead-foot driving habits(unless I'm trying to go long distances in it, and need all the range I can get). That means 90+ mph in the left lane. But I also have a respect for those who drive slow. I'm not impatient, and if somehow all the traffic in front of me were neck and neck going 50-55, I wouldn't mind. Those who are going slow are saving gas, and have a lower risk of death from the set of collisions not involving other vehicles.
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:20 PM   #40
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toecutter
America's interstate highways were originally enginered for ~80 mph,
Perhaps, but most idiots out there can't drive 80 mph without being a danger to themselves and everyone else around them.

Another fact is that if people are going to drive this fast then they MUST maintain their vehicles better than they do.

Most used vehicles (10+ years old) will shimmy and shake at 75+ mph simply because suspension, steering, alignment, wheels, and bearings haven't been serviced enough. Going fast is fun, but for most people it is dangerous.