Do other drivers ever get pissed off at you? - Page 9 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2007, 09:05 PM   #81
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
Quote:
People get irritated with any driving style: too fast, too slow. I try to stay diplomatic on 2-lane roads and compromise between FE and not angering other drivers. On multi-lane roads, people just pass and forget about you almost instantly (unless you're going much slower in a high-speed 4-lane rural situation -- learned my lesson on I-70 with some mean drivers with my "55 in a 70 "experiment ) IIRC, I got like 37 mpg over 150 miles with the cruise (that was long before I knew of loading on hills). Semi drivers were the most irritated and often blew the horn. Geez.
Haha.

I've done 40 mph in the slow lane on that highway(I-70) for a 120 mile trip. DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS!

The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:17 AM   #82
Team GasMisers5!

I always do 50mph on a (2x400) mile trip I do every few weeks (on a 70mph motorway)

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:37 AM   #83
Registered Member

Especially in STL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toecutter View Post
Haha.

I've done 40 mph in the slow lane on that highway(I-70) for a 120 mile trip. DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS!
I was on my way into KC at 55 and thought it was bad -- STL has to be worse! A vast majority are in a huge rush to go somewhere.

No offense to your hometown, but many drivers in St. Louis are terrible! There's a direct correlation between a rise in my mean Systolic blood pressure and the number of idiots on the highways there. It seems like it comes in 3's: being cut-off, bumper ridden, and red-light runners.

How do you do it, man? May the Schwartz be with youuuuuu.....

RH77
Old 02-21-2007, 01:01 PM   #84
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to occupant Send a message via AIM to occupant Send a message via Yahoo to occupant
My favorite thing to do to tailgaters is to take my foot off the gas until they are around me, then I'll resume speed. Driving home yesterday from IHOP (free pancakes = good) an Econoline van was about 3-4 feet from my rear bumper. So I coasted. Got down to about 30mph before he finally got tired of it. Then before I took my exit at 55mph, he was trapped behind cars going 40-45 in the traffic on the highway. I oozed right by him while taking my exit. I LOVE that feeling.

"Hurry Up And Stop", as they say...
occupant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:31 PM   #85
Registered Member

STL drivers are pretty bad. I was once run into a ditch by a MACK truck.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:35 PM   #86
Registered Member

A few months ago I had an idiotic old woman in a Cadillac behind me honking because I didn't pull out on the road fast enough (there was a car coming and I didn't feel like wasting gas to speed up for pulling out right in front of it.) So when I pulled out she sped right past me (not sure if she gave me the finger or not since I didn't bother to look), then while she was passing me I noticed it was in a 'no passing zone' and she was going well over the speed limit. So guess what? I stopped along the shoulder of the road and called the state highway patrol (whose number is in my address book.) I hope they pulled her over and taught the old witch a lesson!
andrmtro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:55 PM   #87
Registered Member

If you're getting passed by an old lady, that says a lot about how slow you were going!
Old 03-04-2007, 06:18 PM   #88
Registered Member

I guess i'l add my 2 cents in here. Personaly, I cant stand it when people go less than the speed limit. Sure you may be saving a little gas, but when your going 50mph on a 65-70mph marked road.. you are creating a hazzard. I usualy do about 72 and up to 75 on the freeway wich is marked 65mph and I STILL get passed. I cant imagine doing 50mph or even less like i've seen on here. I know its the "speed limit", but if everyone is going 5-10 over INCLUDING police, there is no reason other than saving some gas to go 10 under. How many of you have been rearended?
Midwestzx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:19 PM   #89
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Great idea for a bumper sticker . . .

It may seem like I am going too slow . . . but maybe I am a cop.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:23 PM   #90
Registered Member

If i saw a geo with that sticker or a honda dx etc etc i'de laugh and pass them lol... cops around here have impalas, crow vics and a brand new chevy pickup

Midwestzx2 is offline   Reply With Quote