Do other drivers ever get pissed off at you? - Page 17 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-06-2007, 12:27 AM   #161
Team GasMisers5!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdrick View Post
I live in Japan. People are MUCH better here than those back in Michigan (USA). Here is an amazing story for you. I was coming home from work one day and there was a traffic jam. Well, this is pretty much an every day thing for me over here. I saw that some people were backed up on the right hand side of the road because a lady was trying to turn right (keep in mind, Japan drives on the LEFT side of the road). All of the people behind her couldn't proceed until she turned.. as there was no shoulder, which is usually the case in Japan. I stopped (since I was backed up in traffic as it was) and let her turn in front of me. Not only did she bow and wave her hand to me for letting her turn, but the person BEHIND her thanked me too!!! Absolutely unbelievable, and unheard outside of Japan. Well, at least you would never see this type of thing in the US.

In addition, people use their horn (a short blast) to THANK people for letting them merge, letting them turn, or letting them through. Hazard lights are also used very often when you let someone turn in front of you. If you get flashed with bright lights at night when you are trying to turn, it is most likely that the person coming towards you is letting you know that you can turn in front of them, and that they won't hit you if you do so. Waves (usually men) and bows (usually women) can be experienced all the time from gracious drivers. Yeah, Japan is an excellent country to drive in.

As for driving slow to get good FE, I definitely do that. My car has terrible acceleration to begin with, and this only makes things worse. However, I have never had a single person get pissed off at me. The middle finger isn't even understood here, so no one can use that. People usually don't tailgate, and those who do are generally just either bad drivers or unfriendly people.

Point in case, if you are living in Japan, feel free to take your time and max out your FE. You will have a pleasant time doing it!!
In the UK, we also have road manners like this (Japan) - although we probably also have a higher proportion of road-ragers compared to Japan.

When I drive to / from work, I am on a single carriageway 60mph road - I usually go 40-20 coasting (on the downhill bits), and 40mph on the uphill. If someone is behind me I just let them pass, or speed up so as not to make them slow down, before they pass. Almost everyone says 'thank you', which is nice

The only 'anger' I received was once, when I was parked on the road (you could see a mile in front, and a mile behind), and a car was coming towards me. Some guy could see the whole situation, and instead of slowing from 60-55 from a distance, thereby letting the oncoming car go past and he could then overtake me slowing down, he sped up meaning he had to do a full stop (and actually take longer in the end!). And I had been parked for a few minutes, and it was legal to park there!!

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:43 PM   #162
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
To be honest, you need to leave the United States - even N.A. it would seem to realize how nasty/impolite we have become :/ That was a rather big eye opener for me - and I consider myself and the people I keep around me pretty courteous.

I use my hazards (one or two blinks) to thank someone for things like merging - I also blip my high beams to let people know I'm letting them merge/change lanes (some people freak out - others appreciate). Because really, a few car lengths lost over 200 miles is what - 100 feet? I'll even merge into a left lane to help a semi truck change lanes when other drivers feel that a semi's turn signal means "hit the gas and pass before he merges."

I don't think I would use my horn though - I think culturally that would be unacceptable Oh, I also wave - but apparently that's considered bad now as they think you're sticking your hand up in disgust or something stupid like that

Too often I get flashed with high beams because someone wants to go faster (even in the right lane) -- really, am I not breaking the law fast enough for you?

I try to be nice - but it's become a problem that no deed goes unpunished :/

Actually, based on my widely varied travels, Americans are one of the most polite people you'll meet...so are Brits, Germans, and Auzzies/Kiwee's too. Ever drive in Eastern/Western Europe? I have for years...except for some exceptions people drive there like nuts, having little or no considerations for others on the road....mayhem, to be sure, especially France, Spain, and Italy...oh, and Bulgaria....they're nuts there (on the road)! ;-)

A lot of it is cultural too....for instance, in Mexico, it's "okay" to pull onto a road forcing on coming traffic to slam their brakes...little regard for those barreling down at 60+ MPH, and having to slam the brakes on....dangereous, to be sure...oh, and enraging too.

MorningGaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:01 PM   #163
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGaser View Post
A lot of it is cultural too....for instance, in Mexico, it's "okay" to pull onto a road forcing on coming traffic to slam their brakes...little regard for those barreling down at 60+ MPH, and having to slam the brakes on....dangereous, to be sure...oh, and enraging too.
When I was in Dominican Republic drivers were absolutely nuts. Driving real close to motorcycles, pedestrians & cars. It seemed that whoever had the biggest vehicle had the right of way at the given intersection. When I was riding on the bus from the airport my family members kept saying "Just don't look at the street! It's too terrifying." . Yet I've never heard of any tourist from Canada say that they crashed while on a holiday, so collisions must be uncommon.
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:44 AM   #164
Registered Member

OK, a newbie question. How do I get a really cool sign that says "Gassavers.org" for my back window?

I've seen them on a few in the forum. Did you make your own or does somebody sell them?

M
Old 06-08-2007, 12:56 PM   #165
Registered Member

Yep, people pass me all the time.

What I find most hilarious is when people driving their gas guzzling SUVs get in such a mad rush to the stoplights. They'll floor it to get around me and then come to a grinding halt at the red light. Meanwhile, I'm driving at a comfortable speed, gauging the traffic ahead of me, and I scoot past them right as the light changes to green.

I can understand how my driving would be considered annoying. I try to keep constant foot pressure on the pedal when in gas saver mode, and because there are a lot of mountains here, my speed fluctuates greatly. In a 55 mph zone, it is often 60 down the mountains and 45 up them. But it all balances out to me driving at the speed limit or slightly over.

atomicradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:59 PM   #166
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma4t View Post
OK, a newbie question. How do I get a really cool sign that says "Gassavers.org" for my back window?

I've seen them on a few in the forum. Did you make your own or does somebody sell them?

M
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=1996
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:32 PM   #167
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Quote:
Oh, I also wave - but apparently that's considered bad now as they think you're sticking your hand up in disgust or something stupid like that
Be careful to wave all your fingers.

Quote:
People usually don't tailgate, and those who do are generally just either bad drivers or unfriendly people.
That's true here too. We must have a lot more of them.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:02 PM   #168
Registered Member

I get no respect driving my Civic Vx.
I get tailgated and people get pissed when I drive too slow. Never happens when I drive the sienna or my truck.
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:11 PM   #169
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
I get no respect driving my Civic Vx.
I get tailgated and people get pissed when I drive too slow. Never happens when I drive the sienna or my truck.
They're just jealous... At least when you drive your sienna or your truck, other people feel comfortable around someone else that's getting low FE like them

In any case, I find situations like that the best time to wash my windshield

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:17 PM   #170
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
They're just jealous... At least when you drive your sienna or your truck, other people feel comfortable around someone else that's getting low FE like them

In any case, I find situations like that the best time to wash my windshield
It does get annoying...but when I get tailgated, I usually just start downshifting w/o brakes until they decide to go around or back off. And then when you take your time coming up to a red light, it is amazing how many will go full blast past you, and look PISSED off when you slingshot past them when the light turns green and do their damnedest to catchup as quickly as possible...I guess to prove their testosterone levels are still up to par.

McIntyre's First Law: "Under the right circumstances, anything I tell you may be wrong."

O'Brien's First Corollary to McIntyre's First Law: "I don't know what the right circumstances are, either."

rvanengen is offline   Reply With Quote