Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2006, 09:36 AM   #11

What are snow tires?

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 09:42 AM   #12
Registered Member

I'm sure you're aware of the potential dangers of having snows on only the front end of a front wheel drive car.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:15 AM   #13
Registered Member

Wouldn't you like to be able to stop and steer as well as you can accelerate (in the case of RWD)?

The problem of snows on just the front of FWD cars is oversteer - losing the back end. The front snows will bite better for changing direction, as well as starting and stopping - relative to the rear tires.

That's creates a bigger potential handling problem than having only 2 snows on the back of a RWD car. In the case of RWD with 2 snows, the handling problem most likely experienced is going to be understeer - which is more benign & arguably safer.

I've heard of some tire shops around here refusing to sell only 2 snows to a FWD customer, and I don't disagree with that.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:31 AM   #14
Registered Member

Yeah. It all comes down to the driver. Depends on the relative condition of the rear tires too. I drove one FWD car with good snows up front and crap tires on the back. Imagine casters at the rear and you have a decent idea of what it was like when it got slushy
Old 10-06-2006, 06:48 PM   #15
Registered Member

I'm a big believer in snows, I've had a seperate set snow tires and rims on every car I've owned.
Besides the extra traction, It makes your summer tires last twice as long and keeps the salt & corrosion from your nice aluminum rims.
Living in Ontario's snow belt and commuting 100km a day makes it a no brainer.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:53 PM   #16
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
we dont use studded snow tires here in jersey, but my brother has a set of 4 185/65/14 that he is selling. a few people rock out winter tires, but nothing studded.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:32 AM   #17
Registered Member

Here in winter it is impossible to drive without snow tires.

I went for a drive around the block once with a friend of mine that hadnt put his on yet (when he should have) and it was down rite scary.
Not the sort of hang the back end out around the corner for a bit of fun , it would slide left, right, back , ,, every way IT wanted to.
There was no control.
onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 06:11 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegammyleg
Here in winter it is impossible to drive without snow tires.
Speaking of Finland, I once had a set of Nokia Hakkapeliitta snows on my old '90 Accord.
There we're times where just for fun, I'd drive it slowly into deep snow drift & stop the car just to see if I could get it stuck... not a chance.
One of the best set of snow's I've ever owned.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:42 AM   #19
Registered Member

Funny -- same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frink
Speaking of Finland, I once had a set of Nokia Hakkapeliitta snows on my old '90 Accord.
There we're times where just for fun, I'd drive it slowly into deep snow drift & stop the car just to see if I could get it stuck... not a chance.
One of the best set of snow's I've ever owned.
I had Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50's on the EVO in the pic previous and tried the same thing (albeit there was an AWD advantage). Every time, it crawled right out. The look on the neighbors' faces as I briskly, and in perfect control, drove up the hill on our un-plowed street in a "Sports Car" was priceless.

Only problem: the snow clogged-up the oil cooler and I'd have to give it a rest from time to time (since oil temperature was critical to turbo life, I installed a custom gauge package: oil temp, oil press., air/fuel ratio (useless without a wideband sensor). And yes, the turbo-timer, which was an FE killer, turbo saver -- auto calc'd the time, based on driving conditions: oil temp, etc. to shut down the car - key out, doors locked. I'm now trying to give back to the environment for that waste.

Most classic timer moment: at the fuel pump, I key-off and had about 30-seconds cool-down. I begin the process of getting the debit card swiped, choosing the grade, etc. (I would never pump, engine-on). At the same pump on the other side, this cranky girl was like, "You might wan't to shut your car off, I don't wan't to blow up today~" I quickly glanced inside and saw the remaining time. "Don't worry honey, it'll shut down in 2-seconds". 1, 2, Off. "Happy now!". She's looking in the car for someone but noone was there

I recall making a run to the Grocery for something one evening during an ice storm. Over-confident SUV drivers were slipping all over the place, and doot-dee-do, here I am driving right along, no problem. We were under a Weather-Based curfew that day -- emergencies, essential work travel, or snow/ice tires were required or else you got a ticket. The SUV drivers got tickets as they waiting a long time for the busy tow-mater folks to come around to yank them out of the median/ditch. Some vehicles were there for a day or more.

But, here, I can't justify the tires as we have variable Winters and their RR status. We get mostly ice, but then it snows on top of that. Last year was mild, but there was one day in the 'Teg that was "white knuckle" driving.

RH77
Old 10-09-2006, 08:23 PM   #20
Registered Member

When I was recently on TireRack.com, I saw that they make Special Low Rolling Resistance SNOW tires for the Insight.

So, for all you guys running those 14s(?), that's good news!