Dodge's Gas Guarantee - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-28-2008, 12:21 AM   #1
Registered Member

Dodge's Gas Guarantee

Has anyone else seen these annoying commercials? Dodge/Chrysler claims to give a $2.99 gas guarantee/rebate for purchasing a new vehicle from them. These rebates are likely in lieu of the typical rebates you get on a new car anyway.

I just think it's a big joke. I'm certainly not jumping at $2.99 per gallon of gas. That's not much of a bargain to me. Not only that, but does Dodge even a make a single fuel efficient vehicle? This just sounds like a really half-assed way to make out from the gas crunch, and to keep from having to build an intelligently designed car.

atomicradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:03 AM   #2
Registered Member

as bad as it sounds, they are just trying to sell cars. they don't seem to be concerned about fuel efficiency. I noticed that too when I went to their site last time. I think the best they got is the caliber which gets 30ish. they seem to be more concerned with power than efficiency.

I have a dodge truck at the house and it is strong but gets 18 mpg. not bad but it is a 2wd.

also they are doing the gas savings thing which is good for 3 years and only 12K miles/year. if you do the math (assuming gas doesn't go through the roof) it's not as good as chevy's $4500 instant rebate.

36000 mi 20mpg 1800gallons@3.99/gallon $1 savings/gallon = $1800
" " " @4.49/gallon $1.50 /gallon = $2700
" " " @4.99/gallon $2 /gallon = $3600

and I am sure there is some cap on that as well. I haven't read the fine print but I am sure there is a limit on the difference they will pay.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:32 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I don't understand why it's a joke. It's just another financial incentive like cash back or low-APR financing, and it hits where people are really concerned right now. People are *****ing about recently high fuel costs, and Chrysler wants to sell more low-MPG vehicles; the promotion really gets their attention.

I looked at their website for the promotion, and they're using lower MPG for their estimates than their own vehicles get from the EPA.

If this promotion had been around in February when I leased my VW, I would have chosen a Jeep Patriot instead. I was having a tough time deciding; the VW is more comfortable, better equipped, and faster; but the Jeep is rated for better MPG, is more practical, and was already significantly cheaper. If I could then get gas anywhere I want for $2.99/gal for the length of my lease, it would have been more convenient (since I wouldn't have to shop for gas) and would have saved me even more.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:36 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I don't understand why it's a joke. It's just another financial incentive like cash back or low-APR financing, and it hits where people are really concerned right now. People are *****ing about recently high fuel costs, and Chrysler wants to sell more low-MPG vehicles; the promotion really gets their attention.
Agreed. I would assume that to most of the people with the money to purchase a new car that the current gas prices are affecting them more psychologically as apposed to the pocket book. It's just an incentive to put the car buyers mind at ease about escalating fuel costs. Never mind the fact that they are paying for it somehow.

opelgt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:52 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
It's a joke because they offer a $3000 rebate or the $1800 in gas. To equal the $3000 rebate gas would have to be $5.60 per gallon assuming 20mpg. If anyone takes that deal, I'm sure the dealers are laughing as they drive out.
Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:45 AM   #6
Registered Member

my concern is that those that are "suckered" will use their "gas savings" as an excuse to burn more gas(drive more).
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:25 PM   #7
Registered Member

And after 3 years your still left with something below the MPG status quo.
GasSavers_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:46 PM   #8
Registered Member

maybe not drive more. the cap is 12k a year I think.

either way its a clever marketing to push a substandard product.

oh yea i have two in my drive way and my father in law has two in his.

I love my JDC products

but i digress ...
96 xj 175K
00 tj 135k
father's
01 wj 45k

all with the bullet proof 4.0L motors

the other is a 96 lebaron with the mitsu 3.3
Old 05-28-2008, 07:02 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicradish View Post
These rebates are likely in lieu of the typical rebates you get on a new car anyway.
My thoughts exactly.