Does anyone else block off their view of the fuel gauge on the instument panel? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2007, 05:34 PM   #1
Registered Member

Does anyone else block off their view of the fuel gauge on the instument panel?

I'm just wondering if anyone else has gotten so obsessed with mpg that they found themselves forced to put a post it note, etc. over the fuel gauge so they won't continue looking at it every 30 seconds. I found out that I was checking my fuel gauge almost that often and would find myself getting upset if the gauge did not read what I thought it should have been reading after a given number of miles logged on the trip odometer. I was actually making left turns into my driveway so that the gauge reading would be higher than it did when turning right - even if I had to go around the block to turn left - isn't that crazy? I have not looked at my fuel gauge for almost a year now between fill ups - the post it note works great for this! I usually go anywhere between 320 to 400 miles before buying gas. It is much more relaxing not having to fret over the current gauge reading any more. My VX has been averaging about 46 mpg lately 70 hwy/30 city driving.

jadziasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:37 PM   #2
*shrug*

I used to look at it too much, until I got my superMID,

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:43 PM   #3
Supporting Member

i know how you feel. sometimes when going from window to window at a fast food places i would be really pissed because i just turned my car on and didnt want to turn it off again thinking that it would be "right there" so i was ideling wile they were geting it for me. that was back when i was in school and only had a short lunch and had to get back quick. so now i go in even if its just to go. idk i get pretty into it at times but i love watching my gauge still
Old 06-06-2007, 05:43 PM   #4
Registered Member

hardely ever. also i have noticed sometime when restarting at a light after coasting up doesn't always return previous reading.

LxMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:44 PM   #5
Registered Member

It doesn't matter much. My gauges are all ****ed up and give bad readings.
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:47 PM   #6
Supporting Member

yeah mine is messed up 2. it takes forever the first half of the tank then drops of really fast.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:21 PM   #7
Registered Member

LOL im not that obsessed...

i dont even pay attention to my chevettes because in the fuel tank it doesnt have any dampener fins to keep the gas from sloshing around. so when i go on exit ramps or makign turns the guage flies over to E...in my s-10 the guage sending unit gets stuck so it will stay in one place for a while then all of a sudden drop.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:23 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey4mnhs View Post
yeah mine is messed up 2. it takes forever the first half of the tank then drops of really fast.
Same, but it will change pretty drastically as I'm driving. For example, I was driving earlier today and it was around 1/2 full, and by the time I got home it was above 2/3 full. Is my driving that efficient that it adds gas to the tank?

Does your speedometer ever get stuck or jump around? Mine does this all of the time, and despite two expensive trips to the local Honda dealer (both times they claimed to have fixed it), it still does this.
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:24 PM   #9
Supporting Member

nope its just the damn gas gauge. more of a annoyance than anything
Old 06-06-2007, 08:06 PM   #10

My '95 Acura Integra (also a Honda) does the same thing. It's slow to move for the first half of the tank, then once it goes over the half-way point it drops exponentially and i've noticed it going up a few times too. Must be a Honda thing.. also, when it's on E, it actually has over 2 gallons left

ThirdeYe is offline   Reply With Quote