Does Anyone In The United States Still Care About Fuel Economy? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2018, 10:10 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2spd View Post
When I moved to Canada I didn't understand the appeal of trucks, 20 years later I still don't.
I got a story that explains "truck attraction". I had a girlfriend(who seemed content with me), who took my advice & got a used inexpensive, good mpg Toyota Tercel that was dependable. It worked well for her over the years. At one point she threw me away for a guy 15 years younger than herself. He convinced her to dump the Tercel & blow her life savings on a jacked-up pickup with KC lights mounted high on the cab. Sense doesn't make sense when you return to your childhood.

litesong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:34 AM   #12
Registered Member

I've got no problem with the public buying the type of vehicles it needs and wants, even if the result is more fuel usage than some government bureaucrat dreams up as being ideal.

I drive a diesel F250 that makes 14 miles per gallon when towing my trailer, a Jeep that makes 16 miles per gallon while getting to off-road hunting spots, an Explorer that makes 20 miles per gallon hauling folks around town and country, and a Mazda3 that makes 44 miles per gallon when commuting on the highway. Each provides the services I need.

I rue the day when the government tells me what to buy, via either an outright mandate or by taxing certain choices to death. A free market is the most efficient way to serve the public through millions of individuals making their own choices for their own reasons. Although government rules have their place for making everything work in a democracy, time and again some of those rules tend to morph into excessive choke-holds that kill the freedoms that help make life worth living.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:59 AM   #13
Registered Member

The market doesn't include the costs of pollution or military actions linked to fuel sources.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:11 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
The market doesn't include the costs of pollution or military actions linked to fuel sources.
+1

If this system had votes, I'd be voting you up on this.

2015 Audi Q5 "Progressiv" + S-Line + Scuba Blue, 3.0L V6 TDI
(Highest fuel economy for all Audi Q5s on Fuelly!)

SteveMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:13 AM   #15
Registered Member

I love my trucks and use them often. Trucks are very valuable to the American culture, we enjoy our leisure time and have things like ATVS, camping trailers, horses, etc. I absolutely love my truck but only use it when needed, and use my Honda for general commuting. I am lucky to live in a country that allows me the freedom to own both vehicles and not get massively penalized for it.

Obviously I do care about MPG, but it doesn't bother me a bit to drive my truck.

itripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:57 PM   #16
Registered Member

"A free market is the most efficient way to serve the public through millions of individuals making their own choices for their own reasons."

Yeah, except that we here in USA don't have a true free market because the gov't subsidizes the cost of fuel. If we (USA citizens) paid the true unsubsidized cost (something upwards of $5 per gallon) then people would shift to more efficient vehicles. Nay, they would demand them!
ShagNastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:15 PM   #17
Registered Member

ShagNastie, the only direct subsidies for fuel in the US I have heard about are subsidies to the corn producers to produce ethanol and to the bio-diesel producers. These are being made to help the "eco" fuels to be more competitive.

What are the subsidies you are referring to?
Old 04-30-2018, 08:46 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67 View Post
ShagNastie, the only direct subsidies for fuel in the US I have heard about are subsidies to the corn producers to produce ethanol and to the bio-diesel producers. These are being made to help the "eco" fuels to be more competitive.

What are the subsidies you are referring to?
The oil companies do get deals on well leases of government land, and a slog through the tax code will likely find oil only tax breaks.

Then there the externalities that capitalism and businesses factor into their costs. Even when they follow regulations, there are damages to the environment and public health that our cause by the oil industry. Those costs are born by others. Depending on whether you also include the costs of diplomatic and military interventions to keep oil producing regions "stable", the cost per gallon of gasoline would be $10 to $15 if the cost these externalities were paid by the oil company.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:07 PM   #19
Registered Member

We pay $7.50/Imp gallon, here in the UK.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:18 AM   #20
Registered Member

A large part of which is taxes that help pay for universal healthcare.