Does anyone know if struts and springs off civic will work on accord - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

Does anyone know if struts and springs off civic will work on accord

I want to lower my 1996 accord but dont have much money, Will stock struts and springs off a late 90s civic lower it and ride ok? I know they will bolt up

GasSavers_chris79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:26 AM   #2
Registered Member

Re: Does anyone know if struts and springs off civic will work on accord

In short: Nope. The cars are on 2 different platforms, with different suspension components. Lowering the car and maintaining any kind of safe driving/handling attributes will be possible with lowering springs and shocks.

You could possibly cut the existing springs, but that presents an entire list of problems, such as:
1. If the springs are not stiffer than stock ones, the soft springs will cause the car to hit the bump stops much more easily since there is less suspension travel. This can be quite unsafe if you hit the bump stops while negotiating a corner at speed.
2. Cutting all the springs evenly is a difficult task. Odds are, they will not all end up at the same height.
3. Re-using the stock shocks/struts on a car that is lowered can cause undue wear and tear on the shocks. Use shocks/struts with the correct compression/rebound for the type of springs used.

I lowered my 1995 Civic VX using Eibach springs and shocks from Autoanything.com. They had several suspension kit options. You might want to check it out. Without knowing your budget, it's hard to say.
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote