Don't buy gas from Exxon or Mobile - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-24-2007, 08:28 AM   #1
Registered Member

Don't buy gas from Exxon or Mobile

Well I got this e-mail for the zillion time and instead of deleting it I decided to send this reply back.

I don't see this working. The only way to lower prices is to reduce our consumption, period! Although not a totally free market the thing with gasoline is that there is plenty of oil sitting at the refiners they just can't turn it over fast enough because we have not built a refinery in 30+ years. Although prices continue to go up the demand has continued to increase also. Until "we" the general public reduces our demand, drive more fuel effient cars and look to alternate energy it will be the same old same old. If you really want to hurt the oil companies send 50 emails to your freinds and tell them to try and reduce their fuel consumption by 10% this week and try to increase more each week. Although 10% sounds like a lot just by having the car in good mechanical shape, tires at proper inflation pressures, and DRIVING AT OR BELOW the posted speed limit will put money in the bank and out of the Oil companies pockets.

Here's a link (http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp) on this e-mail that's been floating around since gas prices hit $2.00 a gallon.

People still just don't get it. It's always someone else fault.

edit: Moderators if you need to move this to general feel free to.

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:45 AM   #2
Tuggin at the surly bonds

I know lots of folks, myself included, who haven't bought exxon or mobil gas since the exxon valdez catastrophe. ZP is absotootly right: it hasn't stopped them from being the highest profiting company in the world, now has it?

Old 05-24-2007, 08:56 AM   #3
Registered Member

If there was a sustained 10% reduction in motor gasoline consumption, that would make a big difference in prices. Not just for gasoline, but for diesel, home heating oil, jet fuel, etc. It would be great to see that happen.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:46 AM   #4
Registered Member

If every one of those silly gas "boycott" emails instead told people to slow down, pump up their tires to max sidewall and not race from one traffic light to the next, they would be a lot more helpful.

In fact I think I'm going to prepare a canned email to that effect and forward it to as many people as possible when I get one of those emails.

Maybe put in a plug for gassavrs.org and cleanmpg.com while I'm at it.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:03 PM   #5
Supporting Member

Silveredwings -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveredwings View Post
I know lots of folks, myself included, who haven't bought exxon or mobil gas since the exxon valdez catastrophe. ZP is absotootly right: it hasn't stopped them from being the highest profiting company in the world, now has it?
I stopped buying Exxon after the Valdez, and saw some Exxon gas stations go under. But then they merged with Mobil, which I used to go to, so I stopped going to Mobil, except in a pinch. Today I go to Chevron, so I am giving money to the proud owners of the Bhopal disaster. I would go to Citgo if I could, but they don't have any stations near me. You can't win by targeting an individual oil company. They're all corrupt in my book.

Do what Brucepick says and promote high MPG driving habits. Lower demand and that will cut their profit from 10 billion per quarter to maybe only 5 billion ( ).

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:21 PM   #6
Registered Member

Allow me to push this politically-charged thread into the General Discussion zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto
The only way to lower prices is to reduce our consumption, period! Although not a totally free market the thing with gasoline is that there is plenty of oil sitting at the refiners they just can't turn it over fast enough because we have not built a refinery in 30+ years.
Why would any global oil company in its right mind want to build a refinery in the United States? I'm not necessarily complaining about our restrictive environmental regulations (I don't like pollution any more than the next guy), but I'm just trying to point out that there are consequences to businesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83
I would go to Citgo if I could, but they don't have any stations near me.
I'd rather buy gas from an American company that had a rare accident than from a communist dictator. Having said that, I prefer Shell because I can get it around here with 0% ethanol.

And having said all that, I also agree that consumers have the ultimate power and that we should exercise our influences on the market.

Team: Right Lane Rollers
Jim Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:28 PM   #7
Registered Member

I haven't allowed anyone in my family to go to Exxon since 1989. I don't remember this, but my parents tell me that when I was 3 years old I used to yell out the window at people getting gas at Exxon.

Things haven't changed much.

I still refuse to buy anything from ExxonMobil, but for other environmental and humanitarian reasons that I won't go into here. Their business practices are well documented and can be easily found online.

They aren't making as much of a profit as we like to believe. If they were making 0% profit, gas prices will only drop by a few cents.
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:45 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete86 View Post
I haven't allowed anyone in my family to go to Exxon since 1989. I don't remember this, but my parents tell me that when I was 3 years old I used to yell out the window at people getting gas at Exxon.

Things haven't changed much.

I still refuse to buy anything from ExxonMobil, but for other environmental and humanitarian reasons that I won't go into here. Their business practices are well documented and can be easily found online.

They aren't making as much of a profit as we like to believe. If they were making 0% profit, gas prices will only drop by a few cents.
Unfortunately one of the more popular motor oils is Mobil 1. It would would be interesting to see what products Exxon has control of.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:51 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete86 View Post
Thanks for being honest...most people don't realize that on a percentage basis, the Money Center Banks industry (a "life necessity" like food or gasoline) makes a much higher average net profit margin than the Major Integrated Oil & Gas industry.

This is astounding to me since from a risk vs. return standpoint exploring for oil, buying illiquid capital plant equipment, and dealing with unstable governments would seem far riskier than lending money (which should be fairly easily nailed down by actuaries).

Team: Right Lane Rollers
Jim Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:36 PM   #10
Registered Member

i get those emails many many times. they just tell you to dont buy gas on a certain day or company, so they will understand how much profit they will loose if no one bought gas......

BUT it doesnt work because the oil companies are just laughing because, they know you will be back at the pump sooner or later becase "millions" of people didnt pump on that certain day.

only way to solve the problem is to drive better or stop driving at all

civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote