DOT promoting EcoDriving! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #11

Re: DOT promoting EcoDriving!

I was shopping around for insurance today, and I was realizing that I am paying approximately as much per year as a divorced guy with only one vehicle on my policy right now, and none of my kids old enough to drive, as the TOTAL amount that I have cost insurance companies in car accidents..... I pay 295 per year (South Dakota's insurance rates are notoriously high), and I have had one accident where my insurance company paid out 320. I did have another accident, but I wasn't at fault for it, it was a person trying to cross from one parking lot to another across a main street that T-boned me, that one cost me about 3 years of physical therapy and back surgery.

Now, in my opinion, if a person isn't smart enough to know that is illegal, or thinks it is OK to do idiotic things like that while piloting 4500 lbs of death, they have no business being on the road.

Anyways, just random thoughts.... I have been paying for years and years now, just to pay for bad drivers. If I didn't keep the insurance, I would be at fault for any accident I am involved in, regardless of how at fault the other driver is, and if I get pulled over without insurance, that would ruin my perfect driving record, meaning I would be paying even more for insurance.

What a scam. It's no wonder so many people in this country hate bankers.

madnessspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:20 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

I assume that "South Dakota's insurance rates are notoriously high" was sarcasm. I've never heard of rates that low.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #13
Registered Member

Cow-
Do you have a Cat on your car, I can't remember. Otherwise, the bimmer might have just wanted to not smell your car!

$300 a year for basic liability on two vehicles (93' and 89") as a single guy of mid 20's is what I pay. No at fault accidents but a couple of speeding tickets and several not at fault accidents. I'm running above state minimum with a 100/300/50 plan. I pay twice a year. ($150 each time) It used to be 4 times that when I started driving in high school for just one car.

Passing in a no passing zone is "not recommended" in Maine. The lines are just recommendations, not the law. However, if you have to drive like a nutcase to get back into your lane, they can ticket you for "reckless driving." About the same I guess.
B
benfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:02 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

I do have the cat and, amazingly, it still works...my exhaust doesn't stink.

I wonder if I moved to Maine or South Dakota would my rate be closer to $300/year...that would be huge, by my standards that's basically free and I'd no longer worry about insurance when considering buying a car (and I'd probably end up with a yard full of worthless cars that are insured).
Old 10-13-2011, 08:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I assume that "South Dakota's insurance rates are notoriously high" was sarcasm. I've never heard of rates that low.
No, that is liability only at the 50,000/100,000/50,000 level. For my explorer it doesn't make sense to carry full coverage since it is basically a beater. I haven't gotten around to replacing any of my other vehicles yet that were destroyed by the flooding, so really, I am only insuring one vehicle and driver right now.

South Dakota has some of the highest rates in the country honestly.... I am a single guy, with no accidents for the past 8 years, and one ticket in the past 10. Since I have started driving, I have been involved in three car accidents, and I was found at fault for only one, after a girl changed lanes to get in front of me, then slammed on her brakes because the car ahead of me was slowing down. That one was 10 years ago.... If I were still in North Dakota, I would be paying about $50 less every 6 months. Some states, I would be paying under $100 for 6 months given my driving history and this level of coverage. My average cost if I were to take full coverage with a $250 deductible on this vehicle though.... around $350 for 6 months.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...insurance.html

Here is 2010, though, you find some lists that are different from others. Rhode Island generally runs pretty high, as does South Dakota. Maine on the other hand.... is almost always the cheapest in the country. South Dakota suffers a little more because of this too, since the median wages here are lower. The basic cost of living is lower, but most things are not cheaper, so really in the end, one does have less money to spend. Either way, I am just disappointed that I pay almost as much a year as I have cost insurance companies in my life.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:31 AM   #16
Registered Member

I don't know where they got those state average rates, but I'd kill (figuratively) to get your rate for your coverage with your record...I suspect they're way wrong, or there's something skewing the average in SD. Be thankful.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:51 AM   #17
Registered Member

Yeah, I don't know what that's based on but either way that would mean you're getting a great deal, especially for your state.

I have lived in NY and CT with your same record (no accidents at all for 11 years) and even at state minimums I could not get below $500/year on my primary driver. Now occasional or pleasure vehicles with low miles/year and plus multicar discount allows for 3 cars with reasonable coverage around $800-1000/year, but I cannot get your rate on my primary.

It seems most people I know, regardless or age and record, pay between $50-80/month around here, so I always felt I was doing pretty ok, but your rate is amazing.
itjstagame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #18

Weird, I haven't paid much more than this since I was under 25 and was still driving like a kid.... And back then, I moved around a lot too....

Those rates, I'm sure are based on drivers with full coverage. I suppose that the amount of farm vehicles that have to be insured commercially skew the rates higher, and I would assume this state doesn't have the best drivers in the country either. But honestly, I have paid less for insurance other places. When I moved to South Dakota, my insurance went up.

Either way, I am still paying for something that I wouldn't even need if other people weren't such crappy drivers and we didn't have laws requiring me to carry it.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:22 AM   #19
Registered Member

Oh of course, that's probably comprehensive and collision and all that. Those are the ones that would really feel it from accidents and probably cost premiums.

I've never had a car lien or required those so never buy those policies.
itjstagame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #20
Registered Member

DOT making suggestions w/out consequences is like telling these guys to be careful how they hit w/out using the fines to enforce the rules...http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...13000037702479

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote