downgrading to an Insight - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-30-2007, 06:10 PM   #1
Driving on E

downgrading to an Insight

Some big changes in my life recently, so I'm attempting to downgrade and cut my debt as much as I can.

I've decided to sell the Fit, only after owning it for a year. how sad. I don't need a "giant" car any more... funny that I consider a Fit to be a giant car. I'm downgrading to an Insight.

So here is what I've found, and I'd like feedback or suggestions from anyone and everyone if at all possible.

I have found a few Insights in my price range (under $7k) all around the country. Unfortunately this also means that I'd have to either fly out there and drive it back to Utah, or ship it here for between 800-1000.

One that I found is in excellent condition, and they only want $5400 for it...but it has a bad catalytic converter. From what I hear that usually requires replacement of both cats, and costs about $1400 + 200 for labor. Of course each o2 sensor is $300 from honda, and there is a 50/50 chance that they'll have to be replaced.

found a great one in PA for $6500, but then there is the transport cost again. 130,000 miles isn't THAT bad, but it's still a lot.

Then I found an Insight in Southern California (driving distance) with a blown head gasket. I honestly have NO idea how that happened, but it did. Honda quoted me $1900 just to repair the head gasket. Seemed doable, but who knows if that's all that's wrong with it. I found a salvage yard in Southern California that also installs engines. I was told I could get a new engine (27k) installed for $1350 out the door. Did I mention it has a new battery pack? An insight with under 90k miles on the chasis with a fairly new engine.... all for under 7k. Seems like a dream come true.

So, talk me into it or out of it. I've been very tempted to just buy a VX to save even more money, but in reality the Insight is my dream car and it would make me uber happy to have it. oh, and I get free parking in Salt Lake City with a hybrid.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:19 PM   #2
*shrug*

Get the insight! Make sure it's dented up and ugly too.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:21 PM   #3
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
Get the insight! Make sure it's dented up and ugly too.
women love that.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
*shrug*

I'd be more attracted to a guy who could say "you're the prettiest thing in this car" and mean it...if the car's nasty it's hard to lie!
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:23 PM   #5
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
I'd be more attracted to a guy who could say "you're the prettiest thing in this car" and mean it...if the car's nasty it's hard to lie!
Ben, you pretty.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:26 PM   #6
Registered Member

Wait a second, are you considering selling your Fit to buy another one? The bit about finding a few for under $7k threw me off. Are you using the word fit, as it is commonly used in the English language, rather than as the car name?

Anyways, if you are selling your Fit to buy an Insight, then I would say go for it. If you can get that car for under $7k, then you would be made in the shade. 27k miles on the odo is frosting on the cake... if it truly does only have 27k on it. I am not sure how the battery pack works on that car, but you may want to check whether it is ok with storage. I recall reading that one of the hybrids had trouble with the batteries if it wasn't driven for an extended time period.

Insight will also hold value really well. How you are coming across them at such cheap prices kind of blows me away. I was looking more at 10k when I was scouring the internet for them. I am still waiting on a wrecker, but none are coming through the auction that I use.
Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:28 PM   #7

I would be willing to help you get the car home if you get the one in PA, it is probably at most a 4-5 hour drive from me and I could store it here as long as you needed to arrange shipping or a way to come pick it up.

There might be one of us on here that lives closer but either way I would be willing to help with getting it and you could use my garage to make any repairs needed to get it home.
CoyoteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:30 PM   #8
Registered Member

I bet I could drive mpg circles around an insight with an n600
Old 10-30-2007, 06:31 PM   #9
Driving on E

Sorry, I sometimes say "Fit" by default when I'm talking about a car. I have changed the original thread to it's correct meaning.

the odo will have 89k on it, but the engine itself will have 27k. The good thing is that the battery packs are warrantied through honda until 150k miles... which at my current rate would give me about 4-5 more years of having the batteries replaceable.

I found a wrecked Insight in San Diego for $1790. Some body damage, but that's about it.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/car/457099746.html

Too bad you're in Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdrick View Post
Wait a second, are you considering selling your Fit to buy another one? The bit about finding a few for under $7k threw me off. Are you using the word fit, as it is commonly used in the English language, rather than as the car name?

Anyways, if you are selling your Fit to buy an Insight, then I would say go for it. If you can get that car for under $7k, then you would be made in the shade. 27k miles on the odo is frosting on the cake... if it truly does only have 27k on it. I am not sure how the battery pack works on that car, but you may want to check whether it is ok with storage. I recall reading that one of the hybrids had trouble with the batteries if it wasn't driven for an extended time period.

Insight will also hold value really well. How you are coming across them at such cheap prices kind of blows me away. I was looking more at 10k when I was scouring the internet for them. I am still waiting on a wrecker, but none are coming through the auction that I use.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:42 PM   #10
Registered Member

Tag Team ... get members to do a few hundred miles each to get it to ya'

2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote