Drivers Idling!!! - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2008, 11:11 AM   #21
Registered Member

A diesel at idle can hold a air/fuel ratio that is VERY LEAN...80 parts air to 1 part fuel ect. But of course there comes a point that it is better to turn off a diesel...ot buy a "Turbo Timer" like mentioned above that lets the engine run to cool down EGT for 1-3 minutes.

2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 01:39 PM   #22

There are places where I get that way too. Routinely in the 35-45mph range. My car wants to lug in an inefficient way at 35-40mph. I have to switch it to manual but it gets much less mpgs than if they just went 45mph. I am in the wrong though as the speed limit is 35mph in this particular area (50 is what almost everyone does through there). During the busy time of the day I do the 35mph and just suck it up. They set the speed limit 35mph there for a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Funny, I tend to be that way MORE when I'm trying to save gas. Other people going slow in front of me mess up my ability to accelerate efficiently, pulse&glide, take turns without braking, etc.

I do think that many (but certainly not all) speed limits in this corner of the country are too low. There's a road on my way to work that's marked 30mph and heavily enforced, despite being four lanes wide (but with only two travel lanes, then two breakdown lanes, and a sidewalk on one side), with houses set very far off it, even utility poles set six feet off it, few cross roads, etc. As far as I can tell, it's a revenue generator, badly needed by the small town with lots of land and few taxpayers. There's lots of just as extreme roads that I drive.

BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:10 PM   #23
Registered Member

I will say I believe it takes a unique breed of person to be a hypermiler.
As such I also believe hypermilers tend to think outside of the mold, a very unusual but highly effective tactic. Unfortunately if everyone were to do it, the world as we know it would fall apart, I can almost guarantee it.

That having been said:
What kills me is all the folks in the drive-throughs...

Did you know:
1. In Europe, drive throughs are almost non-existent?
That is correct, it is considered wasteful (which it is).

2. It is as fast if not faster to go inside?
Also true, I usually park and go inside, the lines in front of the registers tend to be shorter than the wait in the DT... Many times have I gone inside and been on my way OUT of the parking lot as I watched who was where: The car that was last in line at the DT as I was parking still hadn't got through.

Now don't all the fuel wasters start going inside vs. driving through now, as
that would ruin my secret little scheme that I've been pulling off for many years.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8307c4 View Post
That having been said:
What kills me is all the folks in the drive-throughs...

So true! I NEVER go through the drive through.

- First and foremost, it's a fuel waster.

- Second, just like you said - most of the time it is quicker to walk in.

- Third - don't take this the wrong way, a lot of people (not all) work in fast food for a reason. I go in to make sure my order is right, that way I can fix it right there on the spot.
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 04:11 PM   #25
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8307c4 View Post
Now don't all the fuel wasters start going inside vs. driving through now, as that would ruin my secret little scheme that I've been pulling off for many years.
Don't worry, I won't. I'd rather wait ten minutes sitting in the comfort of my car with my climate control and my stereo than standing in line. That's a personal choice of waste.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:27 PM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Don't worry, I won't. I'd rather wait ten minutes sitting in the comfort of my car with my climate control and my stereo than standing in line. That's a personal choice of waste.
Me too. I mean I am all for saving gas. But most cars consume .3 gal/hour at idle, thats about 2 cents per minute. I don't mind paying for that convenience.

opelgt73 is offline   Reply With Quote