Driving 55...can't draft a trucker - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-26-2007, 03:39 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdrick View Post
Sitting back at 55mph lets you choose which truck to draft. When you find one that is going a speed that you like, then get on it! Where I am originally from, people very often drive with less than a single car length between cars, while driving at 70mph. Drafting is just common driving practice in Detroit. Sometimes you wonder if the vehicle in the back is actually being towed.

I personally saw a 10-15mpg increase when drafting in my parents' Lexus 400h, with the speed being anywhere from 60-65.
Drafting will have much more impact on a SUV then a litle car like a civic or a cavalier.

GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:58 PM   #12
Registered Member

To Bibi, I just ordered a Scan guage II, (anyone want a nice price I can give you the link in a PM--it's from a vw group buy.) So I will definitely be using that.

To Mira, P&G sounds great but from the gas saving sticky, it sounds a bit complicated, don't think I'll try it yet. About traffic, I think I will stick close to slower big cars, either stay infront or behind them. Today, I had cars come rushing around the big rigs, just to get on to my tail. I guess they thought I was ahead because I already passed, not knowing that I was probably the reason why the trucker was slow.

In retrospect, I don't think drafting helped me much. First of all, I wasn't close enough-- only about 2 or 3 car lengths behind (too scared to get closer). Second, my car is pretty decent in the aero factor in my humble opinion. I mean it's not a box like a xB or anything and it is low enough already.

Lastly, I don't think there should be any regulations. Maybe instead of or in addition to carbon credits, incentives for companies to stagger start times? -- money talks. Maybe do it by the category? Can't have supervisor's supervising empty plants can we?

I couldn't help but think that I wished I had a 6 speed instead so I can cruise at a lower rpm than in the 5 speed.

And you're right Bibi, I don't think I'll be drafting unless I'm in a caravan of cars.

RningOnFumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:37 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIBI View Post
Drafting will have much more impact on a SUV then a litle car like a civic or a cavalier.
BIBI, I'd have thought the opposite is true. To me it seems harder to fit a wider vehicle cleanly into the slipstream. The slipstream gets affected by crosswinds and unless you're on a motorcycle (which gets a great boost and way too high pf a risk) it's difficult to find the sweet spot.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:32 PM   #14
Registered Member

But a larger vehicle (SUV) is pushing more wind normally...so the draft makes a big diff
2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:36 PM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by RningOnFumes View Post
In retrospect, I don't think drafting helped me much. First of all, I wasn't close enough-- only about 2 or 3 car lengths behind (too scared to get closer). Second, my car is pretty decent in the aero factor in my humble opinion. I mean it's not a box like a xB or anything and it is low enough already.
Mythbusters had a 22% (hrmmm... could be wrong, I'm going from memory) aero reduction at 7 car lengths There's no fine line of advantage, it's several shades of gray

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I've got some qualitative wool tuft photos attesting to this.

Quote:
BIBI, I'd have thought the opposite is true. To me it seems harder to fit a wider vehicle cleanly into the slipstream. The slipstream gets affected by crosswinds and unless you're on a motorcycle (which gets a great boost and way too high pf a risk) it's difficult to find the sweet spot.
Likely something similar to their increase in FE. 2 additional mpg for an SUV is much more significant percentage wise than 2mpg for basjoos

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:40 PM   #16
Registered Member

On a Bicycle in a pace line...the second rider uses 10% less energy in a headwind...the third rider uses alomost 20% less energy and the 4th rider 30% less...and that is just bikes.
2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:42 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
Mythbusters had a 22% (hrmmm... could be wrong, I'm going from memory) aero reduction at 7 car lengths There's no fine line of advantage, it's several shades of gray

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I've got some qualitative wool tuft photos attesting to this.
Let's see the photos!

McIntyre's First Law: "Under the right circumstances, anything I tell you may be wrong."

O'Brien's First Corollary to McIntyre's First Law: "I don't know what the right circumstances are, either."

rvanengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:58 PM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvanengen View Post
Let's see the photos!
Threaded

I'm actually quite peeved with myself at the moment... I can't seem to find my digital camera (with memory card) - which has more shots at varying distances. They're not particularly useful as stills (they look just like the one's as shown - which is why I only posted one set).... I'm more mad because of other photos on the camera that I haven't put on my computer yet....

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:17 PM   #19
Registered Member

Update:

I've been doing the pulse and glide. IT WORKS! Allows me to keep up with the traffic as well and it bumped up my mpg.

Well, getting a scan guage helped a lot.

So instead of a steady 55 or 60, I do the P&G and take advantage of the hills. Still have to get used to drafting. On the occasions when I do hit the sweet spot behind a car/truck/something big. It's like a tractor beam and I've got to train myself not to be quick to the brake pedal. The sweet spots pulls you right in~!

Finallly hit a minor mark: made it to 500 miles on a tank (11.1 total but ususally only fill about 10.2- 10.7)

Thanks guys.

RningOnFumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 07:31 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdrick View Post
Sitting back at 55mph lets you choose which truck to draft. When you find one that is going a speed that you like, then get on it! Where I am originally from, people very often drive with less than a single car length between cars, while driving at 70mph. Drafting is just common driving practice in Detroit. Sometimes you wonder if the vehicle in the back is actually being towed.

I personally saw a 10-15mpg increase when drafting in my parents' Lexus 400h, with the speed being anywhere from 60-65.
LOL! I live about 80 miles south of downtown Detroit, and Iv been there many times. I know what you are talking about! I remember driving 5 mph over the limit, and getting passed like I was parked, and by MANY cars in a line. They dont call it the Motor City for nothing! FE in rush hour Detroit traffic must be really difficult!