Dumb questions from a Newbie... - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-15-2007, 08:47 AM   #11
Registered Member

I was messing around in college in my very first car, and going about 35 tried to shift from 2 to drive, but ended up putting it in R. That was 1988, and I still don't like to mess around while driving an auto.

ma4t

Old 06-15-2007, 09:04 AM   #12
Registered Member

If I were in your circumstanes, I would just continue to drive, easy on the peddle, and let the autotransmission do what it does. If your easy on the peddle, it will put it in as high a gear as it thinks as is appropriate, as soon as it can and it will lock up the torque converter, as soon as it can. I wouldn't fool with putting it into neutral to coast, I'd just let it do it's job.

Along the lines of what Zpilito said, 4th gear and torque lockup don't occur until your at about 43mph, from what I've experienced, so it's more economical to drive at 45 over 38, because at 45 it's in a higher gear with the torque converter locked up.

As far as telling your husband, I personally wouldn't say anything. I'd just go ahead and drive it as economically as you can, get as good a mileage as you can and not worry about giving him any ammo to show off his machochimisism, BTJMO.

Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:23 AM   #13
Registered Member

I would think if the fuel is not shutting itself completely off (again, need a scangauge to know), then coasting in neutral is actually worse because the car is always going to using fuel at the minimum idle rate. If it's in gear, at least that minimum amount of fuel is being converted to forward movement (depending on the vehicle, and mechanical losses) as opposed to just being wasted by idling the engine.

CrewMAX SR5 5.7L 4x4
Surrey, BC Canada
esobofh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:40 PM   #14
ELF
Registered Member

I agree with every thing that zpiloto said. the big thing is to get into OD as soon as possible, Watching the scan gauge on my sable the mpg jumps from 30 to over 40 mpg when the TC locks up.

also N coasting does little for my car, Neutral at long stops is good. Auto's just plain suck for mpg.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:55 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELF View Post
also N coasting does little for my car, Neutral at long stops is good. Auto's just plain suck for mpg.
But as you have shown you can get some excellent FE with an AUTO.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:18 PM   #16
Registered Member

Talking

Thanks for all of the assistance guys! So... am I abnormal??? I clocked my commute last night (keep in mind I very rarely see another vehical in the middle of the night on my way home) it took over 20 minutes to drive 4.5 miles. Hehehe I admit it is hilly so I coast a lot and I coast to the stop signs. Am I over doing it if I am the only one around?! My Rpms don't even hit 1500 and speeds like 30/40/50 just don't apply. Although the speed limit is 35mph.
Feel free to laugh at me. I don't mind.
Shannon (slowmomma)
slowmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:23 PM   #17
Registered Member

Now I understand the nick name .Actually you might be going to slow for good FE. Might try cruising up to 45 mph getting into OD and cruising at 41 or cruising at 32 mph or so once it shifts into 3rd. Your best FE speed is probably 40-45 MPH in OD.

Might look into another route that flater and faster. But geez 20 minutes for 4 miles. At the end of the day you've spent an extra 30 minute on the road when you could of been home.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:16 AM   #18
Registered Member

Red face

Yeah I had the strange feeling that when you find yourself rocking back and forth to get rolling again was just plain wrong. But that 4.5 miles have resorted in the most relaxing, stress reducing, amusing times. Well the speed limit is 35mph so... I may have to speed, just a little.
Shannon (slowmomma) or should I say really really slow momma
slowmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 05:55 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmomma View Post
Yeah I had the strange feeling that when you find yourself rocking back and forth to get rolling again was just plain wrong. But that 4.5 miles have resorted in the most relaxing, stress reducing, amusing times. Well the speed limit is 35mph so... I may have to speed, just a little.
Shannon (slowmomma) or should I say really really slow momma
If it's that relaxing then go for it. Gotta keep the FE game in prospective.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:28 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
see i drive only manual vhelchls daily. when i haev to drive an automatic once ina great while when im shifting i always fly past whatever gear i want... now so much on the floor shifter but the stering columb shifter...

so if your not used to "driving" automatic i wouldnt suggest doing it...

stupid auto trannys.... MANUAL FROEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
I drive a manual daily too. Love it. In the 1970s though (for you young guys, this was right around the time we invented fire and the wheel), I bought a brand new kit car (hence my nickname)-this was a Plymouth Volare, 2 door high speed pursuit (2.75 diameter front torsion bars), 360 Cu. In. Direct Connection stock car engine, stock car wheels, adjusting blade NASCAR approved rear spoiler, window retainer tabs, no A/C, etc. etc..

With an auto. So the very first thing I did (with 60 miles on it) was take the transmission apart and put a B & M racing kit in it (even lost a ball bearing in the tranny and used one from my bike). Bada, bing, bada boom. We used to do what we called the jump to hyperspace which is where you start at 30 miles an hour and throw it into first. Just as it drops down nail the throttle and hold onto something because 100 came up in 6 seconds. From a dead stop this happened in 10 seconds or so, 1/4 mile in the high 11s. So, there's something to be said for auto trannys. If they're set up right. In case you're wondering, longest burnout 492 feet with 28 inch wide tires. Can you guess which car I miss the most?

Proud owner of Stinkerbutt!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Air Raid cone filter, direct to TB
-Homebrew front air dam
-Homebrew side skirt
-Torza top bed cover
-Now featuring front wheel canards!
kitcar is offline   Reply With Quote