E rated Michelins & new pics!!! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-12-2008, 11:23 AM   #11
Registered Member

Mine are 245 75 R16 and are definitely bigger than the ones Ford gave me. When I turn these just barely miss the front fender flares the conversion company put on. Yeah, the "all terrain" makes sense. Even tho I got a limited slip differential I was still spinning easily in the snow when I didnt have any weight in the back. Im sure The Beast does the same. So I do remember asking for some tires with more grip, hence the tread and the noise. I will say this tho: It sure is nice to have antilock brakes on a 6000+lb vehicle sliding on the slick. I'll check out JC Whikney. Thanks! Rick

Civicrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:26 AM   #12
Registered Member

Hey, were you able to get a steak or two or was blood and poop it?

Old 09-12-2008, 11:53 AM   #13
Site Team / Moderator

Blood & poop was it. I hit it square in the shoulder @ about 40 MPH. It flew to the side of the road, but was somehow able to get up and run on adrenalin. I'm sure it ran 100 or 200 yards into the woods and died. It was pitch black, about 10 PM, and I had to be @ work @ 6:30 the next morning. I wasn't about to go chasing that thing down. Antilock brakes work though. I left some nice dotted skidmarks.

As soon as I was able to pull over (There was no shoulder - I had to go a few hunderd yards and I pulled into someone's driveway to inspect the damage). My lights were intact, and aside from looking like the truck was a prop in a slasher movie everything seemed ok, so I just drove home.

-Jay

Oh, I almost forgot... I have some pics of the tread. Most here should be familiar with the penny test... If you can see the top of Lincoln's head replace the tires. Its hard to see his head at all!

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:50 PM   #14
Registered Member

Nice. I need to figure out how to get some pics on here. Im not real computer savy.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:36 PM   #15
Site Team / Moderator

Maybe we can meet up sometime and I'll show you how.

-Jay

Old 09-12-2008, 11:18 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sludgy View Post
I have those tires on the Blue Beast. They haven't helped mileage much, and I keep em at 90 psig. 6000 pounds of truck induces a lot of tire flex......
You should roll that little girl over a scale just so you understand how far over three tons you are...
Old 09-13-2008, 05:54 AM   #17
Site Team / Moderator

I've been tempted to find a truck scale myself. The "Empty Weight" on my vehicle title appears to be a bogus number. I don't remember what it is, but its a nice, even number far in excess of what that truck should weigh empty.

-Jay

Old 09-13-2008, 07:34 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
I've been tempted to find a truck scale myself. The "Empty Weight" on my vehicle title appears to be a bogus number. I don't remember what it is, but its a nice, even number far in excess of what that truck should weigh empty.

-Jay
See if your local recycler has a scale. Might just be able to "accidently" drive over it and get a weight. My Excursion was 10% above what I found listed for it's curb weight, and I wasn't full of fuel.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:46 AM   #19
Site Team / Moderator

My dad will need a load of gravel for his driveway. That would be a good opportunity to haul it for him. Rusty isn't powerful enough anymore to do it. In Rusty's prime though I once hauled a ton & a half of gravel. With my E rated tires, and put the air intake back to factory specs I might be able to do even more than that in the beast. The title says I can haul up to 10,000 pounds. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable driving a 1/2 ton pickup weighing 5 tons, but apparently the Commonwealth of Virginia believes its OK.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:40 PM   #20
Site Team / Moderator

Today I glided about 1/2 mile. It has to be the tires. I was going down a road today, speed limit 25. The road was the slightest downgrade. I shifted into Neutral and the truck rolled @ 25 MPH for ~ 1/2 mile. I didn't gain or loose any speed. I was slow enough that the aero mods probably had nothing to do with it, just the hardness of the tires. SG is only reporting 12.9 MPG for this tank, not sure if its off with the new tires or not. Also, I'm not sure that while the 44k is in the fuel tank would that negatively impact FE. I guess that I've also been doing short spurts of WOT, about once every 2 or 3 days to help remove anything that the 44K has loosened. So far I'm at 210 miles on this tank, and the fuel gauge is at 1/4 tank. Not an example of my best work, but this has been almost 100% short trip city driving so far.

-Jay