e85 in non-flexfuel car - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2008, 09:46 AM   #1
Registered Member

e85 in non-flexfuel car

Can e85 be ran in a non-flex fuel car? I have a stock 1990 honda accord. What do I need to convert? any gains? any links will be greatly appreciated.

Max

90accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:07 AM   #2
Registered Member

no, even if your accord was a flex fuel vehicle (takes both) E85 is cheaper, but you MPG with that will be lower, so it breaks even. also with E85 you will have less power than gas

the only good thing about E85 better for the environment

civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:31 AM   #3
Registered Member

Look up newer vehicle EPA numbers for the same vehicle with E10 and one the will use E85.

Nissan Titan

E10 13 city
E85 9 city

Alcohol has a significantly lower BTU per gallon content. Even with E10 there is some loss compared to regular gass with no alcohol.

The EPA recently lowered their ratings for identical cars. They didn't mention the fact that E10 willl produce lower mileage that regular alcohol free gas.

regards
gary
Old 05-18-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
no, even if your accord was a flex fuel vehicle (takes both) E85 is cheaper, but you MPG with that will be lower, so it breaks even. also with E85 you will have less power than gas

the only good thing about E85 better for the environment
It probably isn't break even anymore. I just checked the prices around me, E10 is now more than $1/gal higher than E85.

opelgt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:26 PM   #5
Registered Member

ya if i remember right e85 had to be at least 20 cents cheaper to break even, now ours is almost a $1 cheaper like opelgt said...

so really id be running E85 if my vehicles could...

reason you can is the alcohol can eat away at some rubber parts and some plastics, now wither or not your accord has those "some rubber.plastic parts" that can get eaten away (thus causing leaks, etc) who knows...
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90accord View Post
Can e85 be ran in a non-flex fuel car? I have a stock 1990 honda accord. What do I need to convert? any gains? any links will be greatly appreciated.

Max
Excel Plus International is marketing a Flex fuel conversion for cars. Don't know whether it's good or not:

http://www.xcelplus.com/
http://www.flextek.com/

what is a flextek?FlexTek is a flex-fuel conversion technology that utilizes its own standalone CPU to enable the vehicle?s fuel system to burn ethanol (E85), gasoline, or any blend of the two fuels, the vehicle?s original computer is not bypassed. The vehicle continues to be controlled by the original sensors and ECU, but in such a way as to allow efficient burning of alcohol blends.

FlexTek installation does not alter the originality of a vehicle. FlexTek plugs into the vehicle?s existing wiring harness without cutting or splicing. FlexTek is easily removed leaving your car completely unaltered.
We highly recommend that you treat your engine with the included E85 Engine Preparation Kit (Engine Treatment and Fuel Treatment) before running on alcohol. This helps clean the fuel system and protects the engine from corrosion.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:13 PM   #7
Registered Member

I run E85 25% in my 1994 Ford aerostar...I see only 1-2 MPG difference..if that!!!!!!!

It depends on the car and the driver....adding 10-25% will not hurt anything. Here it is still 1.00 less than Gas....so its worth it...
Nightwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:48 AM   #8
EH3
Registered Member

converting any obd0-obd2b honda to e85 is relatively easy. however, it's not legal in many states because it requires obd0/1 conversion to install a programmable ECU

most people convert because of the high octane value for making power.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:12 PM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
9 times out of 10 it doesn't harm the engine. however, results vary even between identical engines as to the mpg/power tradeoff, IF you run E85 for any length of time, advance the hell out of the timing to take advantage of the 105+ octane to counter the less energy/volume
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:19 PM   #10
Registered Member

Sure, why not? I would but it's not available around here.

Get an ODB1 ECU, chip it, get a wide band O2, a chip programmer, CROME or some software to fatten up the mix. You may have to get bigger injectors. Some are using E85 on turbo charged engines. You can run higher boost on alcohol.

Or other cars you can get a complete fuel injection system used for racing. So you could make a 1957 Belair run E85. The mpg will just suck though.