ecu tuning - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-02-2005, 10:23 PM   #1
Registered Member

ecu tuning

i've been meaning to invest in a chip burner, and i have a p06 laying around that i got for free. if anyone has a wideband o2, we could burn and test chips.

we could lean out the mixture a little, but not too much to where we damage the engine. the new civics have a "lean burn" feature, it'd be nice to learn more about that. i'm not sure where i should put this, because it is kinda an experiment, but i'm not doing it right now.

bagpipe goatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 04:21 AM   #2
*shrug*

Simplistic Layout

Recently I have been spending a lot of time on pgmfi.org learning about my little honda ecu and the kinda things you can do like changing fuel maps and all that stuff, and it really is a great idea. I want to do it I just can't afford the stuff.

In any case, that new lean burn you're talking about is the vtec-e, where the engine shuts off four of the intake valves to cut down on friction that really isn't needed. This first came about in 1992 in the civic vx and its d15z1. When I first went to the dealership and asked for an HX cuz I liked the epa ratings, they told me they had none in the few states around because they had no air conditioning and so no one wanted them. But, I did learn about this lean burn feature. My first thought was the crap out my o2 sensor to lean it out, but no. Then later on I learned about this 12 valve operation. I like that stuff, right now I'm trying to get some money to make the swap. In the mean time I will continue to learn about the ecu so in the future I can think about chipping and tuning air/fuel mixtures on the fly.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 08:32 AM   #3
Driving on E

The band CAKE

Someone told me at the beginning of my gas mileage journey to "just make a new fuel map that is more efficient."

Easier said than done.

It was this (among other things) that eventually led me to the d15z1 engine. I figured I might be better off using an engine/ECU combo that is already maximized for fuel efficiency.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 09:10 AM   #4
*shrug*

Well...

From what I understand the z1 had an air fuel ration of 14.7:1, which is exactly at stoich, so even with it's cuteness of being about to run vtec-e it could safely be leaned out a little bit more through chipping or tweaking the ecu a little. Though I think this is best done on the fly compared to always because of the way the engine employs vtec-e to begin with.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:03 PM   #5
Driving on E

Brought to you by the magic of Duct Tape

You can use a SAVC to lean out the gas a little bit, but everyone has told me to not do it. I imagine that leaning it out a few percent might give you those few precious MPG on long road trips.

This is something I'll consider doing when my d15z1 setup is all done. I'll put in a SAFC and use it when I go visit family in Las Vegas. If I'm lucky I'll get an extra 3 mpg out of it.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:49 PM   #6
*shrug*

IP url?

3 mpg is nothing to scoof at in this non-hybrid non-european game we play. If I drove a lupo I would be the first to admit I'd be boosting all the time, because I'd still get 100 mpg on recycled fuel, so hell. But yep, ecu tuning gets into the damn expensive range, mehbe I will try to process something about it for an article upcoming --_^
Old 09-03-2005, 09:17 PM   #7
Registered Member

Spark plug mod

yeah, i guess you're right. also, sorry for posting this in the wrong forum. oh well.
bagpipe goatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 11:48 PM   #8
Driving on E

Moderator Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpipe goatee
yeah, i guess you're right. also, sorry for posting this in the wrong forum. oh well.
Dont' worry about posting in the wrong forum.

I'd personally think it would be wonderful if someone could figure out a way to do this very thing. Chip ECUs to be more fuel efficient. I think it would be great if we could chip ECUs to have two fuel maps. One for normal driving, and one for "lean mode." Of course, in a perfect world, "lean mode" would turn on with the push of a button.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:33 PM   #9
*shrug*

Hmm

I figured I should revive this because it seems that Mista Bone's amazing 53 mpg in his 145 chp honda has a lot to do with tuning his fuel mixture. Anyone know anything about tuning for fuel economy? I've been trying to understand www.pgm-fi.org but it's just not working for me if you get my drift.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:05 PM   #10
Driving on E

Perhaps

Maybe the best thing you can do is ask someone there for guidance. I remember thinking of tuning my ECU for fuel economy, but it seemed like too much of a task for me to undertake. I guess that's why I went with the p07 ECU instead.

Honestly, there might be a good business in remapping ECUs for fuel economy. For example, they send you a ECU, and you send the same ECU back with a different fuel map on it that is set up for economy. Their cost? $50 or so. It might give them an extra 4 MPG, which adds up quickly now adays.

Just a thought. I'd be happy to help with the marketing of this service if and when you decide to do it.

I personally think it's a brilliant idea.

Remember that thread we saw a while ago where the guy said he pushes a button to enable "lean burn mode" on his ECU? now THAT would be something worth having.