Effects of Winter - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

Effects of Winter

I have a '92 Honda Civic VX and I'm curious what other VX owners have experienced with their cars when winter rolls around, warm-up time is longer, idling is a bit higher, and winter blend gasoline is being sold at the pump. So far, I have not noticed a significant drop in mpg's, but I did drop from about 47 city to 46 city this past tank.

What have others experienced and what should I expect as the winter gets colder in January and February?

VX_Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
Registered Member

Re: Effects of Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
I have a '92 Honda Civic VX and I'm curious what other VX owners have experienced with their cars when winter rolls around, warm-up time is longer, idling is a bit higher, and winter blend gasoline is being sold at the pump. So far, I have not noticed a significant drop in mpg's, but I did drop from about 47 city to 46 city this past tank.

What have others experienced and what should I expect as the winter gets colder in January and February?
The mileage on my VX dropped significantly in the winter. We would get 55-ish in the summer, and low 40s in the winter due to warm-up times. The car will not go into lean-burn mode until the catalyst is warmed up. I removed the cold air intake tube that goes into the air cleaner, and that helped somewhat. The car received the warmer air from under the hood.

IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
Registered Member

Take a look at my fuel log.... it's down from upper 60's to now low 60's. I'm using a block heater 50% of the time too. Even with it, the trip from my house to point a is lower than it was during summer due likely to winter fuel/ more electrical use (blower fan, headlights as it's darker now earlier).
I got down to 40 mpg last winter, just before installing the MPGUINO. That thing payed for itself in like 2 months!
B
benfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
Registered Member

I had a feeling that winter might have an effect on lean burn but wasn't sure if that was the case or not. Anybody else have any insight or personal experience they can share?
Old 12-12-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
Registered Member

Seriously, does nobody else on here have any information on what kind of mpg decline the winter months will do? To a VX or any car for that matter?
Old 12-13-2011, 04:24 AM   #6
Registered Member

I can save the time. Imagine 3 posts below from members stating "^^ What he said."

IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:36 AM   #7
Site Team / Moderator

I know in my Escape I'm struggling to maintain the same mileage I was getting 2 months ago when I first bought it. I imagine once spring hits this thing is gonna be awesome.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:03 AM   #8
Registered Member

if you look at my gas log you can see a cyclical affect over the course of 3 years of summers and winters. though there is also the fact that I don't care as much anymore. you can see there is a difinitive trend there. it is almost like a sine wave. lower in the winter months, higher in the summer months.

not sure what my actual average swing is but I am a non-VX guy (actually non-honda guy) so maybe you can see a little broader range of what you are looking for.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:52 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

^What he said, in entirety without modification (except use of the Shift key, of course )...me too.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #10
Registered Member

To all vx owners:
How long does it take to warm up on a cold day (30-40 df)? Miles or minutes in traffic. Mine seems like it takes FOREVER, it always have and I'm running the 195df thermostat. I wonder if I might have gotten a faulty/incorrect part? Maybe that's a problem with you too, Arky, when was your last thermo?
B

benfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote