Emission testing - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-04-2006, 11:46 AM   #1
Registered Member

Emission testing

So I go to have my emmission test for state inspection. I pass with the following results. Almost the same number for low and high speed.

HC 15
CO2 15.2

The HC numbers are great for a car with 127k on it. What do the CO2 numbers indicate? The limit is 17 according to the inspector and he try's to sell me a $60 fuel injector cleaning. Didn't tell him I'm running some high does of Acetone for the last 4 tanks(3oz/8 gal). Could that what caused the high CO2 reading? This is the last tank with the acetone now that the CEL has quit coming on all the time. Do you think the injectors could still need cleaning or should I not worry about the CO2 readings.

On a side note it always fun to pull into a service center with FE mods and listen to everyone tell you that it won't do any good.

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:46 PM   #2
Registered Member

Smog places usually measure, NO, CO, and HC, are you sure it's CO2?

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:54 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I cleaned my injectors by removing them, and scrubing them with a tooth brush, they were filthy, and if you have a can of carb/intake cleaner, you should be able to get a higher dose of cleaner where you need it, if stuff really is dirty.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 04:24 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq
Smog places usually measure, NO, CO, and HC, are you sure it's CO2?
No metion of NO which I though was weird. Looking at the sheet from the test it just has HC,CO2,O2, and Dilution I'm not going to worry about it after doing a little online research the CO2 is just a indicator of how efficient a engine is. It is not something that they can fail you on.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 04:49 AM   #5
Registered Member

Yeah... That's pretty odd.

And I guess there are different TSI's

Quote:
Two Speed Idle - - A tailpipe test that tests vehicles for carbon dioxide (CO2) in addition to hydrocarbons (HC) and carbon monoxide (CO) and is comprised of two phases: (1) high speed test (2200-2800 RPMs) for the first phase of the emissions test; then, (2) tested at idle (350-1200 RPMs.)
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 10:53 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto
CO2 15.2

What do the CO2 numbers indicate? The limit is 17 according to the inspector and he try's to sell me a $60 fuel injector cleaning. Didn't tell him I'm running some high does of Acetone for the last 4 tanks(3oz/8 gal). Could that what caused the high CO2 reading?
I agree with "alphabet soup" ("Oh,my God...")... Did you glance at "CO" and see "CO2"? If you had given the units(of measure) it would have been a slam-dunk! Inspection station reports give PPM (parts per million)...CO2 would be in pounds! You are correct in stating that the CO is an indicator of combustion efficiency (the lower the CO emissions, the more efficient the combustion process which forms it).
A gallon of gasoline burned makes over 20 pounds of CO2! My CO2 number may be a bit off...but PPM covers a lot of slack!

Ted Hart is offline   Reply With Quote