Engine management System for serious Hypermilers - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2010, 02:30 PM   #11
Registered Member

man that car is one sweet project! its great to see someone really taking a good logical approach to this as well.

i was just thinkin megasquirt when i read the title one thing though, it uses bank injection (2 banks) but i did read that they are working on a 'router board' that will allow sequential injection and spark control. might not save a huge amount, but sounds cool to me!

i've been giving megasquirt some serious thought as i'm (hopefully) one of these days going to build me up a 1jz toyota supra. i figure that system would be perfect, i want to have two sides to the engine management - under normal conditions lower turbo boost and hypermiling goodness and then on the other side have it rev up and respond well when i drop the pedal. not an easy task for sure, but it looks like MS can do that.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:56 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_gravity View Post
man that car is one sweet project! its great to see someone really taking a good logical approach to this as well.

i was just thinkin megasquirt when i read the title one thing though, it uses bank injection (2 banks) but i did read that they are working on a 'router board' that will allow sequential injection and spark control. might not save a huge amount, but sounds cool to me!

i've been giving megasquirt some serious thought as i'm (hopefully) one of these days going to build me up a 1jz toyota supra. i figure that system would be perfect, i want to have two sides to the engine management - under normal conditions lower turbo boost and hypermiling goodness and then on the other side have it rev up and respond well when i drop the pedal. not an easy task for sure, but it looks like MS can do that.
Thats the easy part: the gas pedal is the switch is for power/economy. different maps available with MS are for different fuels.

I've got a MS sitting on my desk waiting for me to make up a harness for my 2jz

mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:52 PM   #13
DRW
Registered Member

I agree, the gas pedal is the switch for power vs economy. There will be situations when you need max power right away, and you can't delay while reaching over to flip the switch.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #14
Registered Member

Thanks, everybody
I'm very interested in your MS project(s), and look forward to sharing info.

It would be cool to have direct injection, but what I've read about the logarithms (something called X-tau), they calculate how much fuel will stick to the tops of the valves, and it injects a slightly lesser amount of fuel. Supposedly, there wouldn't be a noticible difference with sequential fire injection. I was bummed when I found out that it was batch fire, but with the wideband O2 sensor, you can fine tune it, anyway.
I'm trying to decide how much fuel I should cut during deceleration, and possibly use the engine as a brake, running it extremely lean.
My stock MX-3 gets best mileage at about 67mph, so I assume it's the point of aerodynamics where it starts to get exponentially more resistant. So, I'm going to tune it for cruising very lean at that speed, and almost that lean from 55mph. It has an acceleration enrichment setting, so I don't have to worry about pinging.

You can, as mentioned, have 2 different fuel maps, and with mine, I can have 2 spark maps (MegaSquirt and Spark).
fowljesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:26 AM   #15
Site Team

I thought direct injection required something like 900 PSI?

I run the Felpro (now called FAST) controller, and your tune at WOT has nothing to do with your tune for idle / light throttle. MS is the same way. The only time I load different programs is when I change octane (i.e. 87, 89, 93). Although I have to admit, a switch would be nice to change between two different programs.

-Bob C.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:17 AM   #16
Registered Member

You're right, I didn't mean to say "direct injection". I'm sick, and not thinking straight. I meant sequential, I think.
I can also change the acceleration enrichment, so I will have a fuel and spark table for racing, and one for low octane hypermiling. So, if I'm accelerating slowly, I won't need the same enrichment.
fowljesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:23 AM   #17
Site Team

That's not what acceleration enrichment is. AE is like the action of an accelerator pump in a carb.

-BC
Old 01-11-2010, 08:14 PM   #18
DRW
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc455 View Post
That's not what acceleration enrichment is. AE is like the action of an accelerator pump in a carb.

-BC
Correct. With fuel injected systems the accell enrich is triggered by a rapid change in throttle position, or a very rapid change in engine speed (like free reving).
Old 01-13-2010, 10:29 PM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Dust
Guessing you have a KL? I had a MS-8 with a KF as my first car here. You touched on the one thing I don't like about the MS, the batch firing of injectors. Seems like a waste to me. IF that is taken care of, it will be a much better platform for hypermilers, and just regular tuners alike.
GasSavers_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:30 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowljesse View Post
...modded my front windshield wiper to be out of the airflow...
I'd like to hear how you modded your wiper to be out of the way. Pics, etc.

M