EOC not working for me? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2008, 02:41 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Okay, then don't EOC at all. Neutral coasting is fine, unless N->D is too rough and you can't smooth it with rev-matching.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:56 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Okay, then don't EOC at all. Neutral coasting is fine, unless N->D is too rough and you can't smooth it with rev-matching.
Not rough at all what little I played with it. Every once and a while I'll have an engine break, what little I've played with neutral coasting over the last week.

OM

OokiiMamoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 03:06 PM   #13
Registered Member

How do you guys with manual tranny cars EOC?

I used to do it in the Geo, which was an automatic. EOCing probably did do the car damage, but it was on its last leg anyhow, which is why I didn't care to finish it off. But the Geo had manual steering, so even when I did EOC, I still had equal control over the wheel.

Now that I have a manual in the Mitsubishi, which is safe to drive, I haven't returned to EOCing. It has power steering... won't I lose most of my control over the wheel?

atomicradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Try it somewhere safe and find out. I'm not sure I'm ready to EOC much in my VW, but I've tried and it steers exactly the same with the engine off except when the car is completely stopped, though that might be thanks to electric power steering.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:38 PM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicradish View Post
How do you guys with manual tranny cars EOC?

I used to do it in the Geo, which was an automatic. EOCing probably did do the car damage, but it was on its last leg anyhow, which is why I didn't care to finish it off. But the Geo had manual steering, so even when I did EOC, I still had equal control over the wheel.

Now that I have a manual in the Mitsubishi, which is safe to drive, I haven't returned to EOCing. It has power steering... won't I lose most of my control over the wheel?
You will lose power assist NOT control. actually, once you're going more than 10 mph, power steering isn't needed much anyway. nor for less thanhalf a turn of the wheel. besides, I'd hope all your EOCing is in moderately clear straightish areas.

I'd be more concerned about power brakes going away after a few pumps (granted by that time you ought to have figured out what's going to happen and be stopped or have restarted the engine)

I only occasionally EOC because my truck has half an exhaust so it's a little obvious if any LEOs feel like giving me a hard time. otherwise, it's manual steering and brakes so nothing to lose.

mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote