EOC Pulse & Glide? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-14-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

EOC Pulse & Glide?

Perhaps this is a tad too much stress on the starter, but I was wondering if anyone does EOC P&G - that is, turning the engine off after accelerating above the speed limit and then coasting.

It seems like it might be a little much, though effective if you could sustain your coast over a long period. When I P&G over my 6 hour drive, I usually use a 20 mph window between my maximum and minimum speeds. Would you have to use a larger window for this to be effective?

Just curious. I doubt I will be testing this or anything. P&G itself is a lot of work, especially on arduous interstate trips.

atomicradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:27 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
There's quite a few folks here who do it. I have experimented with it lately and it is rather fun. If I restart with the starter, my car makes three long error beeps that are far different from any seatbelt warning or other chimes it normally does, so I don't do that. Bump-starting seems to be the preferred restart method, and that seems to be free of consequences in my car, though I've only tried it maybe 10 times as of yet.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
Registered Member

I don't know why VW includes those beeps, but my wife's 2002 Passat does the same thing. I EOC through the beeping.
Karishnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:06 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
You're the first person who is familiar with the beeps! Hooray, I found someone! I have a video if you don't mind confirming that we're talking about the same beep pattern, though I doubt it could be any different.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...49193589067552

Anyway, has it ever thrown any OBD codes or set the CEL about it? Mine's a lease and under warranty, and I'm afraid to do anything that might make them think I'm doing weird stuff...but somehow bump starting seems not to cause any complaint from the car.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:50 AM   #5
Registered Member

Now that I have learned these tricks I have started to shut my engine off as I come to a set of red lights, or if I am coming down a long gradient, I start the engine by letting the clutch out in the tallest gear I can get away with so the car does not jerk.

I didn't realise how long I spent in traffic just wasting fuel, now that I shut the engine down time goes by much faster
Old 06-16-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWorks View Post
Now that I have learned these tricks I have started to shut my engine off as I come to a set of red lights, or if I am coming down a long gradient, I start the engine by letting the clutch out in the tallest gear I can get away with so the car does not jerk.

I didn't realise how long I spent in traffic just wasting fuel, now that I shut the engine down time goes by much faster
You start the engine with the clutch in a high gear? Wouldn't this cause damage to the clutch/transmission?
KARR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:43 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARR View Post
You start the engine with the clutch in a high gear? Wouldn't this cause damage to the clutch/transmission?
Why would it?

I always start my car out in whatever gear is speed appropriate. If that's 5th gear then I start it in 5th.

atomicradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:06 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARR View Post
Not at all, everything inside the gear box is spinning when the wheels are connected to the ground and turning, so there is no heavy back lash on the gears and I am basically using my speed to start the engine instead of the electrical starter motor.

Starting the car is very smooth in the right gear because the clutch will allow you to start the car softly, only a soft drop in speed is noticed which is used to start the engine, a car moving at 30mph has much energy as in inertia over a car moving at say 10mph, not 3 times more energy but something like 12 times more energy, maybe even more.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:30 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
You're the first person who is familiar with the beeps! Hooray, I found someone! I have a video if you don't mind confirming that we're talking about the same beep pattern, though I doubt it could be any different.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...49193589067552

Anyway, has it ever thrown any OBD codes or set the CEL about it? Mine's a lease and under warranty, and I'm afraid to do anything that might make them think I'm doing weird stuff...but somehow bump starting seems not to cause any complaint from the car.
Yeah, I've seen your video before. It's the same beep pattern. I've been doing it for the last three months on my wife's car and I've encountered no negative side effects thus far.

Just googled Volkswagen EOC and three beeps and found nothing except our posts on this forum. Will keep looking.
Karishnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:26 AM   #10
Registered Member

I asked on golfmkv.com but nobody knew, and most people were more interested in lambasting me for EOC.