EPA Estimates Finally Changing - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-11-2006, 06:56 PM   #1
Registered Member

EPA Estimates Finally Changing

As you can see on the left "in the news", the EPA is finally changing the way they test vehicles for fuel economy estimates. Around a year ago, a petition was gaining momentum to change this and it finally caught on.

Basically, their antiquated methods of testing dated back to the 70's where 55 was the speed limit and traffic was much less congested. So next year, expect a 15-20% decrease around town and 10% highway on the average. Why is this good?

* Actual mileage may vary -- but now it's closer to what you're actually going to get.

* CAFE standards will force auto makers to make their car fleets even more efficient.

* "Sticker Shock" will make more people aware of fuel economy. Kudos to the EPA...

RH77

Old 01-11-2006, 07:05 PM   #2
*shrug*

I hope they smack some sense

I hope they smack some sense into the Prius. The owner of greenhybrids.com has one and gets like 47 something on it, when it's rater 60/51, and when he tested the new HCH he got a tad more (48ish) though it's rated 50/50 or something silly.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 07:27 PM   #3
Registered Member

City Driving

It's really going to hammer city driving, which is what the Hybrids are really designed for. 80% of my driving is highway, so that's the number I look at. The new gas Civic gets 40 -- so why buy 50/50 for the HCH? The only reason I can think of is a tax cred and the standard Navi (plus less overall emissions) unless you live in LA or something. I'm thinking it'll be more like 48/40 for the HCH and 25/38 for the gas Civic with the new EPA adjustments.

RH77
Old 01-11-2006, 07:36 PM   #4
Registered Member

Re: EPA Estimates Finally Changing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
Why is this good?
* because efficient drivers will look even smarter than they look now against the "high" ratings
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 07:59 PM   #5
Driving on E

You made a good point that I

You made a good point that I didn't consider before. The CAFE standards require the entire US fleet to be at a certain level of fuel economy. Manufacturers get away with making monster cars by averaging in the good EPA ratings of the hybrids.

This trick will still work, but now they're going to have to actually perform as well as they claim, which means we should start seeing some real 60mpg cars in the next few years.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 08:12 PM   #6
*shrug*

Quote:I'm thinking it'll be

Quote:
I'm thinking it'll be more like 48/40 for the HCH
Remember, the HCH doesn't have the same town properties of the prius, it's sposed to go all electric on the highway, though it does have cvt for in town. But anyway, the HCH has the tallest tranny right now for civics, and the 5th is even taller than the 5th for the gas model, so I think that it'll prolly be more like 45/45.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 10:50 PM   #7
Registered Member

good, they should of done

good, they should of done this long time ago. Now we're finally going to get cars that get good mpg.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote