EPA rating?? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-05-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
Registered Member

EPA rating??

Hi guys,
I started a gasslog for my Honda Civic. And for the EPA ratings I gave in the comparable numbers of the European drivecycle (urban, extra urban and mix, just as in EPA).
I converted everything in US standards (miles and US gallons) and it all works fine, as the cunsumption in l/100 km that is shown for my car is correct (5,95 l/100km).
Looking at my graph I see that I'm right on the EPA rating (= European drivecycle for me).
I had a look at 3 random US cars and what do I see? It seems to very very easy to beat the EPA rating.
I can assure you that I know personaly NOBODY who beats or who has a car that just consumes what european drivecycle promises. Everybody I know consumes by far more.
How about you all in America? Are those EPA ratings so easy to beat? They don't seem to reflect real life? Just as the European ones don't reflect real life. Nobody consumes so little.

i-DSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Our EPA ratings used to be similar to what you describe for the European drivecycle. When fuel got expensive people paid a lot of attention to it and complained a lot. Then the EPA changed their procedure.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/fuelec...6/article.html

Before, a hypermiler could easily reach the rating and maybe beat it. Now it is very easy to beat.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:06 PM   #3
Registered Member

Ah, than I'm a hypermiler. I'm straight on the promised drivecycle consumption. And it's tough to come there and stay there.
It's a pity the EPA is easy to beat.
Thanks for the explanation.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
Registered Member

i-DSi, that is really a cool looking car! Pity they're not available here!

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:13 PM   #5
Registered Member

i-DSi,

many americans drive on the concept "drive it like you stole it". I will admit that it isn't hard to beat EPA ratings but I know people that complain just like you about achieveing the mileage numbers here in the states. many of them are larger vehicles and they use the power.

we (as a whole) don't represent the average american driver. I really wish we did. we care about fuel consumption (for a variety of different reasons).

the EPA standards were changed to represent what the average american will get when a car is driven.

also, americans tend to drive more open road with less stop and go. this helps out with mileage tremendously. my commute is ~20 miles one way 5 days a week. I used to drive much much more. before I moved 2 years ago, it was ~52 miles one way which is over 100 miles a day 5 days a week. I probably got pretty good mileage without even trying just by the duration of my drive and the fact that it was not interrupted (very few lights or stops)

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:05 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
i-DSi,
we (as a whole) don't represent the average american driver. I really wish we did. we care about fuel consumption (for a variety of different reasons).
Hi Beef,
That's one of the reasons why I like this site. There are a lot of European sites also (about Honda, about Civic, tuning...etc). But I don't feel comfortable with them. They would kill somebody for 2 BHP and an increased top speed of 3 mph more.
On this site I can talk and discuss the tings I find important about cars. And share my findings.
I really love it !
Old 12-06-2009, 04:11 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
i-DSi, that is really a cool looking car! Pity they're not available here!
Thanks Joe,
You're not the first that appreciates the design.
It's indeed strange they're only for European market. But since a month or two one model was introduced to Japan: the Type R-version (201 BHP).
In Japan they have two Civic Type R 's now= the 4 door and the European 3-doors.