EPA stance on real-world MPG - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2012, 11:14 PM   #11
Registered Member

MPG is primarily dependant on the vehicle's design and secondarily on driving conditions and habits. Since people who buy C-Max type vehicles do so for the efficiencey they should learn to drive in an efficient manner. Follow the links listed above and you'll be hitting or exceeding the EPA estimates depending on how far you take the techniques presented and your driving environment (hills, weather etc). I don't own a C-Max or a Ford but I would guarantee I could drive one to exceed the EPA estimates.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:42 AM   #12

Improving driving habits can really make a difference in your mileage regardless of the vehicle. The 2010 Civic I had previously could average 36.9mpg over the course of 2 years of recording every fillup, with a max of just shy of 40mpg and it was a normal gas car. My new 2013 Civic (again, normal gas and not a hybrid) got over 44mpg on the way home after the first fillup. The EPA scores for both are lower than that. Watch how you drive and learn to drive more efficiently and you can gain a lot of mpg.

Riamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:03 AM   #13

I get 42 to 47 on the interstates on 100+ trips, and if I drive around town/city for a while, but around home it's impossible, too many hills it avgs down to 37/38 for the long run. Cold weather cuts it also.
Pugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #14

It took me nearly a year to get the best mileage out of my '02 Prius. I started in the high 30s while my wife always seemed to do much better. So I gave up on pulse and glide (I was taking the pulse part too seriously) and drove more like her. After this I got several 50+ mpg tanks and all was right with the world. That was the year they switched from MTBE to E10 and also the year I switched to new (higher rolling resistance) tires, so the mpg dropped to around 41-42 and pretty much stayed there. Lately I have been getting less than that because I have fallen into the habit of driving it harder.

I am not surprised that my C-max gets lower mileage than expected, especially at this time of year. It has a bigger engine and better acceleration than my Prius and weighs almost 1000# more. Newer technology or not, that is a tall order. The better handling and more refined feel are worth it.
TDEFNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #15
BDC
Registered Member

So are you saying that not meeting the EPA estimates with your CMAX is OK with you, since it is nicer and faster and bigger than your 10-year-old Prius, which actually did meet or exceed the EPA estimates when being driven normally?
BDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:25 AM   #16

can't get much more level than Florida and especially where I drive. Some times I can drive the 11 miles without stopping for a light using cruise and doing 45 mph in 78 degree weather. Just put on approx. 136 miles, 60 @ 70 (on cruise) on the Turnpike, the balance on local streets. Averaged 41+ mpg. The conditions the the EPA measure the mileage is near perfect conditions of a laboratory. I guess I was fooled by listening to the dealer tell me 47 and not being knowledgeable of the EPA cycle and realistic driving conditions.
hundayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #17

on fuelly ford c-max section there are 68 2013 vehicles listed getting an average of 38.7 MPG.. that to me is more accurate than EPA could ever be and more truthful..

I would check here first to see what the masses are getting MPG before checking a sticker to see what EPA states which is mostly BOGUS..

especially if looking for something to get good mpg.
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:30 AM   #18

I think it's pretty obvious how some of the more expensive hybrid variant cars are under performing compared to their EPA estimated mileage numbers.

You can trust the EPA and assume manufacturers aren't giving EPA incentives to give certain cars better ratings or you can wait and see what real people are getting.

I've easily surpassed the ratings on my vehicles estimates in much less than optimal climate and terrain. Efficient driving also doesn't hurt.
codebreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:13 AM   #19

I've had my C Max for two months and 1,760 miles. My starting mileage was 38+, within two weeks it went to 39.7 and now it is about 42.0 mpg mostly combined, short drives. It has been cold here in Southern California, so I expect it to go up a mile or two in warmer months. Having said that, I don't think I will get the EPA 47mpg in the city and certainly not on the freeways as I cannot go below 65mph on our California freeways and stay alive!
Generalbeluga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #20

>...as I cannot go below 65mph on our California freeways...

I always have trouble understanding statements like this. Presumably the road rules are different. On our motorways we have everything from HGVs limited to 50mph, and sports cars going illegally at 100mph+. They mix fine without issues (as long as people correctly obey lane discipline of course).

MMUK is offline   Reply With Quote