EPA stance on real-world MPG - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #21

I just purchased a 2013 ford fusion hybrid and I couldn't be happier. I left the dealer with the avg at 19mpg and it is slowly working it's way pas 42 so far. When I set the trip meter it says I am getting between 47 and 48 so far. The car is extra quiet and smooth. I get this mpg by getting 100% braking regen most of the time and I accelerate less than when I was using a gas car. So far I have not had a need to drive over 65 mph

cbrown747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:16 AM   #22

>>...as I cannot go below 65mph on our California freeways...

>I always have trouble understanding statements like this. Presumably the road rules are different. On our motorways we have everything from HGVs limited to 50mph, and sports cars going illegally at 100mph+. They mix fine without issues (as long as people correctly obey lane discipline of course).

It is the same here on the DC beltway. The limit is 55, but if you're going 65, you're just keeping up with non-rush hour traffic. In rush hour, you're lucky to keep a constant 20.

I-95 in Maryland has a 65 limit and you need to go 70-75 to keep up with the flow of traffic.

Ciderbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:00 PM   #23

November 2013 C-Max my best has been 38 so far. I bought the car because of the 47 mpg as advertised. The car came with 300 miles and 37 mpg. When questioned the salesman said the "government" put 47 mpg on the sticker not Ford. I was given an orientation about this car provided by the dealership to teach me how to get better mileage. He also told me the "government" put 47 mpg on the sticker. I don't think it is the "government" who paid for huge sign for the dealership advertising C-Max 47 mpg. I was justified buying it because 47mpg is twice what I was getting from my Saturn and the money I would save in gas would allow me to pay for the car. There is a big difference between 47 mpg and the 37 mpg that so many C-Max owners are averaging. I wish I had seen fuelly before I purchased this car. As hard as I try I just don't see me coming close to 47mpg. I love my new car but where do I sign up for the class action lawsuit that will be filed against Ford for false advertising?
RealMpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #24

'Your mileage may vary'

If you want to read up about the EPA tests, look here:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

The design of the tests has nothing to do with Ford (or any other motor manufacturer). Ford's only responsiblity is to run the tests according to the instructions given by the EPA.

(That's why Kia is in trouble with the EPA, they deviated from the instructions).
MMUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #25

And here also:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/why_differ.shtml

QUOTE:

Your Mileage Will Still Vary

Why Does Fuel Economy Vary?

Windows Media Video (11.1 MB)

Quicktime Video (12.9 MB)

Text Version

EPA has improved its methods for estimating fuel economy, but your mileage will still vary.

EPA tests are designed to reflect "typical" driving conditions and driver behavior, but several factors can affect MPG significantly:

•How & Where You Drive

•Vehicle Condition & Maintenance

•Fuel Variations

•Vehicle Variations

•Engine Break-In

Therefore, the EPA ratings are a useful tool for comparing the fuel economies of different vehicles but may not accurately predict the average MPG you will get.

To find out what you can do to improve the fuel economy of your car, see Driving More Efficiently and Keeping Your Car in Shape.

MMUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #26
Registered Member

>...as I cannot go below 65mph on our California freeways...

I always have trouble understanding statements like this. Presumably the road rules are different. On our motorways we have everything from HGVs limited to 50mph, and sports cars going illegally at 100mph+. They mix fine without issues (as long as people correctly obey lane discipline of course).

MMUK, the road rules here in Cali are probably not that different from yours, the big difference here is that the speed limits are seen as minimums by 97% of California drivers when there isn't heavy traffic. I personally believe that it is presumed to be a speed average for all hours spent on the freeway system by many drivers, for every hour that I spend it 5-25 mph rush hour traffic I "NEED" to go 80 for 3 hours to make up for it. Remember that the average Southern California Commute is roughly an hour each way so most drivers average 10 hours a week in stop and go traffic, many spend several times that many hours. When I work at LAX depending on my shift I have as many as 5 hours a day of average commute added to my regular work day. I personally don't subscribe to the above theory of average speeds but regularly observe other drivers who will blow you off the road with their air push if you're driving even in the far right lane, at less than 65 mph.

It was interesting back about 5 or 6 years ago when the fuel prices went through the roof, all of a sudden my preferred 55 mph freeway speed was not only accepted, but actually embraced by a large percentage of the commuters due to the pain at the pump phenomena, unfortunately, that only lasted a couple of months before the fuel prices fell again and it was back to the 80 mph flow of traffic.
bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #27

Oh man... MPG gives me headaches...

I've been thinking in L/100km for so long...
runtimemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #28
Registered Member

Agree with runtimess fuel/distance is more logical since it will relate directly to cost. Distance/fuel gives very high "bragging rights " mpg numbers but the money or emissions saved becomes less and less. As for the EPA numbers they do influence purchases so I think manufacturers tweak shift points etc to game the system. Using the experience of users of this site both the c max and Prius v miss EPA ratings but the Prius is closer. We run 3 cars that were chosen to be efficient. The VW tdi and Honda Insight both beat EPA ratings pretty easily but the Sonata hybrid takes some effort to come close especially in traffic or cold weather. That is also what these cars show on this website so I think it offers a better real world comparison than EPA ratings. The driver makes a difference but since the same drivers beat EPA numbers for 2 of our cars and fall short in 1 sometimes the government numbers are just not accurate.

Rocky2 is offline   Reply With Quote