Ethos FR as an Oil and Fuel Additive - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-17-2005, 02:58 PM   #1
Registered Member

Ethos FR as an Oil and Fuel Additive

Everyone. Wanted to recommend a product I've been testing on my vehicle. It is called Ethos-FR. It is a synthetic esther that you add to the engine oil, transmission, power steering, and fuel. Improved my fuel economy by 1.5 mpg on the winter fuel on my F150 pickup. Removes carbon from the combustion chamber and reduces friction when added to the oil and gasoline. Also acts like a top cylinder lubricant when added to the fuel. Works on both gasoline and diesels. Many cities have been using it on their fleets.

Highly recommend it. Do a google on Ethos FR to find the website.

jamescartagena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 04:48 PM   #2
Registered Member

Mr. Skeptic

Maybe it's the wine talking, but "Ethos FR" just sounds like the latest magic bullet. 1.5 mpg in an F150 doesn't sound statistically significant. In an already fuel efficient Honda engine, I don't predict an appreciable mileage increase, for example. I'd rather clean my engine with Seafoam every 10,000 miles and find another additive unless more data can back it up.

In the essence of full-disclosure, are you an Ethos FR dealer or representative?

RH77

Old 12-18-2005, 04:01 PM   #3
Registered Member

Ethos FR

1.5 mpg when the truck is driven 500 miles weekly is definitely significant to me. I'm not a Ethos FR dealer, just someone who happened across this product which actually worked for me. The company which I was in contact with while testing it said they see an average of 9% - 19% increase in fuel economy. Mine worked out to be 7.5%. Yours would definitely be different since you have a fuel efficient Honda. My truck is not so fuel efficient.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:10 PM   #4
*shrug*

I would think that an engine

I would think that an engine that runs better will see a bigger difference between things like gasoline and fuel additives. Like when you have a car getting 100 mpg it'll see 30 mpg more when you do something to efficiency it up by 30%, but a 30 mpg car will only see 10 mpg.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 08:47 PM   #5
Driving on E

Re: I would think that an engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
I would think that an engine that runs better will see a bigger difference between things like gasoline and fuel additives. Like when you have a car getting 100 mpg it'll see 30 mpg more when you do something to efficiency it up by 30%, but a 30 mpg car will only see 10 mpg.
Your thinking is actually backwards here. The most significant fuel efficiency gains are seen in vehicles that are not fuel efficient to begin with. Carbed cars get better gains out of acetone than Fuel Injected cars. You'll see a 7.5% improvement with one additive on a big ford but might only see a 1% improvement (ie, not statistically significant) in a Honda that already gets 40mpg.

Remember, the name of the game is statistical significant. I use a 95% confidence interval for statistical significance, but I'm sure that 90% is acceptable for these types of things. I'm fairly certain that a 7.5% is statistically significant. I doubt 3-4% is though.

Then again, I'm certain that this might not be as effective on my civic. Fuel efficient cars have less room to grow.

If you had the MPG data before the addition of the additive and the mpg data after it I could do some statistical analysis. This is assuming the only change was the additive and that it was at least 3 tanks before and 3 tanks after the additive was added.

I am a bit weary of anyone that says "in our testing we noticed an increase of 9% to 19%." Seriously, on what world do you average the difference and get two different numbers? Why not just say, "in our testing we noticed a difference of 14%?" There is no excuse for these retailers to give mixed results like that.

Anyway, enough of my rambling
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 08:58 PM   #6
*shrug*

Aha, I was just thinking in

Aha, I was just thinking in the case of hydrogen, if it works to replace 30% of the combustioning stuff in a 30mpg car, it'll replace 30% in a similarly displaced 100 mpg car, I dunno though, I suck, back to work, I'm too busy.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 04:12 AM   #7

Re: Aha, I was just thinking in

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Aha, I was just thinking in the case of hydrogen, if it works to replace 30% of the combustioning stuff in a 30mpg car, it'll replace 30% in a similarly displaced 100 mpg car, I dunno though, I suck, back to work, I'm too busy.
Think diminishing returns, like in economics. Each additional MPG you try to attain is going to be more expensive than the last and harder to get.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 07:38 AM   #8
Driving on E

Re: Aha, I was just thinking in

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
Think diminishing returns, like in economics. Each additional MPG you try to attain is going to be more expensive than the last and harder to get.
Excellent comparison.

Law of diminishing (marginal) returns - When one of the factors of production is held fixed in supply, successive additions of the other factors will lead to an increase in returns up to a point, but beyond this point returns will diminish.

More from wikipedia

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 07:11 AM   #9
FE nut

Quote:1.5 mpg when the truck

Quote:
1.5 mpg when the truck is driven 500 miles weekly is definitely significant to me. I'm not a Ethos FR dealer, just someone who happened across this product which actually worked for me. The company which I was in contact with while testing it said they see an average of 9% - 19% increase in fuel economy. Mine worked out to be 7.5%. Yours would definitely be different since you have a fuel efficient Honda. My truck is not so fuel efficient.
I received my Ethos yesterday and I'll start testing today or tomorrow. I've been debating on whether or not to use the initial dosage they reccomend since I think my engine is probably cleaner than the average car. I've also debated on whether or not to add to the oil since I'm using Amsoil along with Excel Plus. I think in all fairness to the manufacturer, I'll use it as reccomended so there can be no questions on it's effectiveness. Does anybody have any suggestions?

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 09:40 AM   #10
Registered Member

I would follow the

I would follow the recommendation. How does the Excel Plus work for you? I wonder if it affects the Amsoil's 25000 mile rating when used together.