Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2008, 02:51 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Dust
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosco View Post
Not sure you would want water injection, my understanding is that this was used in highly boosted (think turbo- or super-charged piston engines) to cool the intake charge. Used for making lots of power.
That's basically what he wants. Cooler charge means less less heat. It's the same thing for big boosted engines. I just hooked a hose to a vacuum port after the throttle body that ran into a water bottle. I couldn't make the thing ping. It was rated for low octane, but it would knock at low rpms on hills. Not with the water though. Just gotta reduce flow enough that it doesn't get into the oil too much and leave a milkshake on your oil cap.

GasSavers_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:33 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
That's basically what he wants.
OK, but how does this translate into better FE? The idea is to burn less fuel, not more, right?

Or is this a way to lean the engine out and then prevent predetonation?

dosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:29 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
recycling the oil is just that, recycling it in to new oil, separating out the grit and water, neurilzing the acids, and adding more of the additives that get used up as the oil ages, it seems like a great idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
I too think recycling is a better way to deal with it than burning it in an engine. Oil is not desireable in the combustion chamber and great engineering efforts are made to keep it outta there! It gooks things up.
The majority of used oil ends up getting burned for energy anyway.

http://www.purdue.edu/envirosoft/hou...e/motoroil.htm

My used oil has BTUs than can be converted into usable energy. I want to use those BTUs myself. That's about it for that.

As far as WWF injection: Dust--right on. What I want is to not lean out the mixture; I want the ECU to not retard the timing when I use the cheapest gas.
OfficeLinebacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:38 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficeLinebacker View Post
Any ideas for extracting that heat within a gasoline engine?
I've wondered about using the engine heat to run an air conditioner system somewhat like the old gas or propane refrigerators...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:01 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
You can tell when an engine is burning even a small amount of oil, because it doesn't burn very well, at best most of it is turning in to soot in the exhaust system, motor oil has alot of additives in it that are designed to keep it from burning, recycling the oil is just that, recycling it in to new oil, separating out the grit and water, neurilzing the acids, and adding more of the additives that get used up as the oil ages, it seems like a great idea.
ohh yes, not to mention having a blue cloud of smoke following you which is illegal...(who knows what else if you have emissions testing)

recycling is just as easy, we fill up an old 5 gallon gas can with used oil then take it down to the oil recycle place.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:30 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
I've wondered about using the engine heat to run an air conditioner system somewhat like the old gas or propane refrigerators...
If you wanted to try to hack it out of parts from such a fridge, RVs have modern versions of them. Also, I think the 12v micro fridges sold in drugstores are the same type. They're called ammonia absorption refrigerators.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:51 AM   #17
Registered Member

These days I think the 12V mini fridges use Peltier elements.

Oil in the motor, by accident, tends to happen by having worn rings in which case the oil is a sheet against the relatively cold wall of the cylinder..OR.. it dribbles in down the valve guides, either dripping straight into a hot exhaust port, where it will just smoke off the hot metal, or dribbling down into the intake port, where it will probably puddle around the valve, and just drop into the cylinder when the valve opens.... neither method of introduction is particularly effective at introducing oil into the cylinder as a fuel.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:10 AM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
These days I think the 12V mini fridges use Peltier elements.
Ah yes, I forgot that...I did know it at one point. I stand corrected.

As I posted I was trying to figure out how they conquered the position issue, as those 12v mini fridges don't come with warnings against tipping them sideways. That explains it!
Old 04-30-2008, 06:33 AM   #19
Registered Member

BMW has developed a system that utilizes exhaust heat to drive a steam turbine which produces electricity to drive the accessories. They claim a 15% mileage improvement.

It might also be a means of driving a HHO generator, that would work better than using the alternator since the exhaust heat is a total waste after it passes through the converters.

Could be a considerable power source since it is about 62% of total energy losses.

As far as using oil as a fuel in gasoline IC engines, I have never tried it. We did use it to heat our shop using a furnace especially designed for that purpose. The furnace preheated the oil and injected it with air pressure into a chamber with a ceramic diffuser (looked like a big frying pan with no handle).

It was so efficient you could hold your hand in the exhaust flue without any serious discomfort. Probably not practical for small quantities, and in some areas it is illegal, although that is really kind of stupid when you consider what some people do with waste oil. We burned several hundred gallons of it a year, and when our reserves got low we just used some home heating oil.

regards
gary
Old 04-30-2008, 08:46 AM   #20
Registered Member

Sounds like extracting BTUs from used oil is best done either using a furnace or a diesel. Maybe I can give it to a friend who owns a diesel or actually try my hand at that Mother Earth design.

OfficeLinebacker is offline   Reply With Quote