Farm Truck/SUV, but which one? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-13-2006, 07:00 PM   #11
Registered Member

Good discussion

Good discussion folks. I talked with them and got more info. Further requirements should have included perhaps more information...

The folks' primary business is the ownership/operation of a licnesed Ohio State merchendise store. They tow a medium sized-trailer on some occasions to fairs and conventions, so they need something no older than 5-years old. When they're back on the farm, they need the ability to do whatever farm stuff they do anymore -- the 4-wheeler hauls a couple bails of hay and the tractor does the bulk of on-property feed hauling, so they prefer something with with an SUV-style covered back for miscellaneous equipment/tools. They need true 4-wheel drive to navigate the property and get around in the snow. Something like the old Ford Bronco and early 80's 2-door blazer comes to mind.

I agree a true farm beater would do the job nicely there and American Muscle to haul, but there needs to be a happy medium. I mentioned the Ford Ranger / Mazda Bxxx, but something more "mid-sized" and covered is needed.

Unfortunately, the Honda Ridgeline doesn't have true 4-wheel drive, or else I'd have them in that yesterday.

The fact is, they're in their late 60's and need something reliable, tough, and efficient. As far as max towing, they would need something to haul maybe a stock trailer with a couple of cattle. The old truck is a '93 Chevy Silverado K-2500 (4X4) Long bed/Extended Cab 350/auto/4.10 rear. The problem is that the local Chevy dealer and service is downright terrible, so they're done with them. I really like the Cummins Inline-6, but don't think they'll buy a Dodge or a Ford (family tradition -- may have to break it). The Ford F-250/Super-Duty with the Power-Stroke Diesel might be nice, but still inefficient.

I have a friend with a '94-ish T-100, and it keeps going and going -- but it's a pickup.

I just hope they don't end up with a Suburban or something.

RH77

Old 09-13-2006, 07:36 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to tomauto Send a message via MSN to tomauto Send a message via Yahoo to tomauto
Well, why not

Well, why not just get a truck and then find a nice cover for the tools and what not?

Beater: 1988 Honda Civic DX Hatback - Stripped - 30mpg

RIP: 1996 Honda Civic LX 42mpg - you will be missed

https://tomauto.smugmug.com/Cars
tomauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:54 PM   #13
Registered Member

They wear me out

Honestly, I can't keep up with them. Even though they're in their 60's, I can't keep up with those kids. They do more before 9 a.m. than I do all day! I just want to get them in a fuel-efficient vehicle that won't break down and serves their needs. Honestly, their needs change on daily basis, so we may be spinning the proverbial wheels here. I can only recommend a vehicle -- after that, it may depend on whatever's parked at the local lot. At any rate, if you feel like more advice, keep 'er comin'.

RH77
Old 09-13-2006, 09:14 PM   #14
Registered Member

Personally, I think there's a reason the domestics have held onto this market. They make mostly reliable, very affordable trucks. Plus there's all sorts, including ones with decent mileage.

The only problem is excluding GM, Dodge, Nissan, and Ford. What's left, Land Rover? They've never really tried a Ford, so just get an Explorer. It'll do the job, and I bet they can get a really good deal on one.
GasSavers_Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:14 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher
FWIW- Too small for their needs, but the girlfriend has a '97 Ranger w/3.0 a/t that'll knock down 28 with no special FE techniques. I don't think that's too shabby considering how much power it has, the a/t, and the awful truck aero.
Is that truck 4X4?

Found somewhere:

"Well, the title says it all. I purchased my 1992 4WD Ford Ranger at Woody Anderson Ford in Huntsville, AL in 1993. At the time, I needed a reliable vehicle that would not leave me stranded on the side of the road, that would haul various educational, construction, and camping equipment over unpredictable terrain in a wilderness treatment center where I was working. This little Ford ranger 4WD truck was mine all mine for $6,059. It was used. Maybe a little overused as I would later find out.

My truck came with a 5 speed transmission, 6 cylinder engine, power steering, brakes, A/C, cruise control, etc...no power windows or door locks. The gas mileage was about 28-30 highway. But really, with all the off road work this truck found, it's really hard to say, exactly what kind of mileage it got."

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 06:04 AM   #16
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugyNA
Is that truck 4X4?

Found somewhere:

"Well, the title says it all. I purchased my 1992 4WD Ford Ranger at Woody Anderson Ford in Huntsville, AL in 1993. At the time, I needed a reliable vehicle that would not leave me stranded on the side of the road, that would haul various educational, construction, and camping equipment over unpredictable terrain in a wilderness treatment center where I was working. This little Ford ranger 4WD truck was mine all mine for $6,059. It was used. Maybe a little overused as I would later find out.

My truck came with a 5 speed transmission, 6 cylinder engine, power steering, brakes, A/C, cruise control, etc...no power windows or door locks. The gas mileage was about 28-30 highway. But really, with all the off road work this truck found, it's really hard to say, exactly what kind of mileage it got."
My brother has a 99 ranger xcab 4x4 3.0 at. It got mileage in the teens 16mpg average. It was completely gutless. I've driven 4 different rangers just alike and they all got pretty rotten mileage. On the flip side there alot cheaper to purchase than a toyota. Although I would say not quite as dependable after 100k miles. They also have a torque convertor that feels very odd at times. Locking and unlocking at funny times.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 07:50 AM   #17
Registered Member

Not a "Farm Boy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher
They musta got the farm after you left the nest- no farm boy writes "bail" of hay!
I grew up in the 'burbs, and for their "retirement", my folks moved back to Ohio from KC and bought 250 acres (my Senior year of High-School, ugh -- what a transition that was). I TRIED my best to work a 16-hour day lifting 80-lb bails onto the cart but, I broke-out from the contact with the hay, and I wasn't in any shape whatsoever (lightweight). I tried long-sleeves, but I'd sweat all day and nearly pass-out. Yep, lightweight. My step-Dad's cousins did most of it, and I kinda maintained the equipment and was still the "City Boy". Then, off to college the next year, and worked 60-hours/week at the Ambulance service, 50-miles out.

BTW, what's the right term for bail? They've upgraded to those huge round bails, where the implement does all the work nowadays.

I've mentioned the Ranger, which does have 4-low available, and decent towing, when equipped. Ford decided to keep the Claycomo (Kansas City) plant yesterday after all the cuts -- they make the F-150, Escape, Mariner, and Hybrids, so I'd be partial to the local economy there.

I'll have to get an update on where they're at...

RH77
Old 09-16-2006, 08:38 AM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to tomauto Send a message via MSN to tomauto Send a message via Yahoo to tomauto
its Bale...you just spelled it wrong, that's all.
Beater: 1988 Honda Civic DX Hatback - Stripped - 30mpg

RIP: 1996 Honda Civic LX 42mpg - you will be missed

https://tomauto.smugmug.com/Cars
tomauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:58 PM   #19
Registered Member

Ah

Spelling. Darn. I try to be good about that, too

RH77
Old 09-17-2006, 08:14 AM   #20
Registered Member

Ive owned two Rangers in my life.

First was a early model v6 4x4. I had oil leases at the time. It was my pumper truck. I worked the hell out of it on the lease's. It drank gas and broke alot.

Second and Current Ranger is a 2000 Ext. Cab, I4, 5MT. It to drinks gas like a F-150. But will work. It thinks its a big truck and never complains about working. At 125K miles it has afew quirks. But drives like the day I drove it off the lot.

Fact is ,,,, We drive it very little now days. I think we have only ran three tanks of gas thru it in the last 6 or 8 months. Once you have a truck paided for. Its best to keep it. I drove it yesterday for a total of maybe 4 miles to go pick up and return a dolly used to move a freezer from next door to my house.
I may take it out and run it up and down the hwy today just to get it warmed up. If you dont drive a car they fall aprt as fast as one driven into the ground.

http://www.psyshack.com/pu.jpg
http://www.psyshack.com/pubed.jpg

psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote