FE improvements - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2006, 05:39 AM   #1
Supporting Member

FE improvements

I have done the following(I'm currently a cheapybob mimic)

110 ohm IAT resistor
HAI
coroplast grill
43psi tires
synthetic fluids
spoiler and front tag delete
New wix air filter

My HAI produced 130 deegrees in the airbox at 40mph after 15 minute trip. It will need tweaking I'm sure. I'm hoping after 30-40 minutes of driving will give me 170 deegrees.

I don't have a scangauge, I find this to be a distinct dissadvantage. I will not be able to push to the edge without it. My wife is getting a work from home job so I might, just might be able to get one. I do have the MP2 tranny, which has a longer 5th gear than cheapybob.

I leave for a 550 mile trip this morning I hope I can attain 45 mpg. I'm pretty sure my mods won't hurt fuel economy.
Wish me luck!

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 05:56 AM   #2
FE nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysan
I have done the following(I'm currently a cheapybob mimic)

110 ohm IAT resistor
HAI
coroplast grill
43psi tires
synthetic fluids
spoiler and front tag delete
New wix air filter

My HAI produced 130 deegrees in the airbox at 40mph after 15 minute trip. It will need tweaking I'm sure. I'm hoping after 30-40 minutes of driving will give me 170 deegrees.

I don't have a scangauge, I find this to be a distinct dissadvantage. I will not be able to push to the edge without it. My wife is getting a work from home job so I might, just might be able to get one. I do have the MP2 tranny, which has a longer 5th gear than cheapybob.

I leave for a 550 mile trip this morning I hope I can attain 45 mpg. I'm pretty sure my mods won't hurt fuel economy.
Wish me luck!
Welcome! 45 should be possible. I was able to break into the 55 mpg range at a steady 60 mph in my modified '97 Saturn SL with no PS. What speeds will you encounter on your trip? When I got up to the 65-70 mph range, the best I was able to do was about 44. Car doesn't like higher speeds. Good luck on the trip. Keep us posted.
Edit: I should note that the 65-70 mph was also on the rolling hills of western and central PA. Dan probably can relate. :-)

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 06:59 AM   #3
*shrug*

Definately achievable, unless you get impatient.

Anyway, this'll prolly got for around 100 shipped:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ScanG...spagenameZWDVW
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 12:13 PM   #4
Registered Member

45 is doable. As long as you don't go to fast.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:52 PM   #5
Supporting Member

Results are in.

50.54 mpg!

I traveled between 62-65mph. I did do a little drafting and 6 eoc's when I got to the country . I filled up before I left to the top dripping out onto the ground ,I also bumped and jiggled all the air out. I travelled 551 miles on 10.902 gallons. I verified the next day after 22 miles .46 gallons(this was after driving with the air on I had to pick the wife up).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-07-2006, 06:19 PM   #6
*shrug*

Nicely done. Nicely nicely nicely.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:15 AM   #7
Supporting Member

I did not run the A/C and tried to keep the windows rolled up. I eventually settled on the window down 4" and the blower on 3. I really wanted to find out just how good I could get. Of course the bug has bitten me and a scangauge is in the near future. I find the half the people I talk too think I'm a fibbing.

This next tank looks like high 30s low 40s. Its really hot and I've been using the air for my wife. Also the roads are hilly and curvy. There is definitely more FE to be had. I could do a short belt, asp pulley maybe, a little more resistance, aero mods, alignment, weight reduction,etc

Back to my vacation

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-08-2006, 12:59 PM   #8
*shrug*

Don't worry so much about the FE and try to concentrate on vacation (while you can, SG will make sure your head is always on FE).

Enjoy yourself! Darin posted something a bit back showing windows down as much better than A/C, so keep it in mind.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:05 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
I did not run the A/C and tried to keep the windows rolled up. I eventually settled on the window down 4" and the blower on 3. I really wanted to find out just how good I could get. Of course the bug has bitten me and a scangauge is in the near future. I find the half the people I talk too think I'm a fibbing.

This next tank looks like high 30s low 40s. Its really hot and I've been using the air for my wife. Also the roads are hilly and curvy. There is definitely more FE to be had. I could do a short belt, asp pulley maybe, a little more resistance, aero mods, alignment, weight reduction,etc

Back to my vacation
If you have a lot hill's, maybe you should set up something with your A/C where you can control the compressor, so you can turn it on going down hill's and turn if off, going up.

p.s. Keep your wife cool, the increased cost in mileage is well spent!
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:11 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
I find the half the people I talk too think I'm a fibbing.
I've stopped telling people my mileage on teamswift.net for the same reason.

I read someone there who is otherwise very knowledgeable say that he was suspicious of anyone claiming to get better than 55 mpg (US) in a Metro. Sometimes I find it easier to just not say anything than to try to explain how it's done.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote